Bought My First Pump !

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by JW357, Nov 30, 2013.

1. JW357

JW357 New Member

Well I bought my first pump scattergun. I've been wanting one for HD purposes. Up until now all we had was a 20ga bolt action.

We wanted to keep all our shotguns in 20ga for now, for commanalaity of ammo purposes.

So I found the exact type of gun I wanted, or at least pretty close.

Its a Weatherby PA-08. I've learned after buying that its the Highland Youth model. It fits my wife and me perfectly. It came with three chokes: IC, Mod, and Full. It has a 22" bbl which is the exact length I wanted. I can add a magazine tube extension and get it to eight rounds in the tube. I may do that later.

I didn't want it all black. I like the dark wood classic look. I'm not into tacticool nonsense. This gun will stay exactly as it is, with the possible exception of the extended magazine tube.

I absolutely love it. I would prefer the Mossberg style safety but I can live with it the way it is.

It was a completely spontaneous purchase...

Pictures to follow.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

cool!:D

pictures. pictures. pictures. pictures.......................................:p

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

Haven't shot it yet. Hope to within the next week or so.

Attached Files:

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Nice shotty, enjoy it.

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Thanks guys.

6. Underdog

Underdog Member

I've always admired weatherby shotguns, and that exact model I have been looking for quite some time. No one seems to carry it and I don't like buying sight unseen. Cabelas advertises it on occasion, but it's never in stock when I go. Good luck with it and shoot it often.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

Thanks. Good luck finding one. I was just kinda browsing though a LGS and he had it. I fell in love right away and the price was in my budget. They had another model in the back that was the exact same thing but with lighter colored wood. I liked the darker look more.

Excited to shoot it. I'll post about how it shoots after I get the chance.

8. Underdog

Underdog Member

JW357 I like your idea of adding a mag extension and calling it quits. I'm a big fan of keeping it simple. I just checked Cabelas website and it says that the PA-08 upland youth 20ga is a stocked item. I'm only 15 min away so I'm going to check it out one day next week. How is the recoil pad on yours, hard or soft? Also how smooth does it cycle? I have many shotguns and most of them are 20ga, another 20 will fit right in.

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

Its a pretty thick, soft recoil pad. She seems to cycle smoothly, although truth be told I don't have a whole lot of experience with pumps to compare it to. But bear in mind mine is brand new. I'm sure it'll smooth out even more with a couple hundred rounds down the pipe.

Take the trip, although a fifteen minute drive could hardly be considered a trip. I think you'll be pleased. Point of reference for the "youth" model, I'm between 5'9" - 5'10" with a normal proportioned body. The length of pull is I believe 12" and it seems to fit me perfectly.

10. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I was looking at the SA-08 before I got the Mossberg, Which was at the time MSRP over $100 less then the SA-08

11. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Weatherby

Weatherby also makes a sweet HD model w integrated pistol grip and ghost ring sights. Don't know if they make an extended tube or a 20 ga.

Several HD experts prefer the 20 ga because it is more controllable than a 12 ga. Some great videos on youtube. Side saddle ammo carriers etc.

One thing the instructor said kinda stuck w me, "if you grab the gun n go in an emergency, that's all the ammo you've got. " I've never liked carrying ammo in sling - kinda thing.

Personally, I've been more on the purist side w exception of a light and extended tube. ( I'm on the fence about heat shields) beginning to "rethink" my position...

Note: Ammo carriers on receivers do not work w all forends. My stock 870 Express - 20 ga forend needs to be changed to corn cob variety.

12. bobski

bobski Active Member Sponsor

mag extension will void the reason for having a nice light 20ga, it will weigh it down and slow your swing. leave it as is.
    is this the gun youll be bringing to the shoot? will both of you be shooting?
    let us know soon so we can lock you in!

13. bobski

btw jw...you need to decide which you are going to do. are you going to stand your ground in your safe room (HD) or are you going to attack a drug dealers house and take down 20 of his body guards?(TACTICAL)

the big fad today is selling people a gun that they will never use in life. tactical guns were created for tactical teams like seals, swat, and pd's.
    joe civilian doesnt attack anything. they defend.
    and in a real life situation, the typical HD shoot out is 1-2 shots.

all this hype about having to have 6 million rounds in your shotgun or hanging off of it like bulbs on a christmas tree, makes me laugh.

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

I see what you're saying about the extension. And actually I was thinking about that just today. I'm undecided about the extension but it doesn't matter for a little while anyway as some completely unexpected expenses came up so we have to be careful with our money right now.

Yes we'll bring this gun. We'll also probably bring the 20ga bolt action, just for "messing around with" purposes, of there's any of that going on.

I know this shotgun is probably not the ideal clay gun, but we don't even know if we're gonna get serious about trap/skeet shooting.

Yes we'll both be shooting at the shoot in April.

I'm not a fan of tacticool nonsense either. Hence the wood furniture on this gun and the desire to leave it mostly stock.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the nice thing about the magazine extension is it can be removed and returned to stock without being a permanent change to the shotgun. rathereasy modification for different needs or uses of the shotgun as needed.

BTW, it is a good looking shotgun and i like it.:D

i happent to agree with Bobski's assessments on "tactical" shotguns. pretty close to my opinions on them as well.

16. bobski

what choke is the bolt 20ga? except for 2 games at the ftf shoot, the rest is single shots, so a bolt will do fine. besides, if all you have is a bolt, i throw singles to skeet shooting beginners instead of doubles in opposite directions.

take time to head over to the ftf thread and update everyone on what your event organizer said about planning your trip! dont put off those tickets too long jw!

btw...never liked a lot of ammo in a tac gun. lose the gun is one thing, lose it with all your ammo is even worse.
    i treat ammo like heart pills. it stays next to me....not in the car.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  17. JW357

JW357 New Member

Thanks Axxe. You're right about the magazine extension too. I'm still undecided on it.

The bolt has an adjustable choke. I can't remember right now since the gun is in Oklahoma but I think its full, IC, and mod.

Thanks!

18. bobski

then that bolt will do fine.

im putting your wife down as maybe with you.
    let the guys know of it on the ftf shoot thread!

19. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I bought one from the back of a sleazy magazine back when I was a teen. Didn't make any difference. Just sore.

Oh. A shotgun! Sorry.
    Very nice, I'd love a Weatherby. Congratulations.