Bought my first Handgun (sti-LS 9mm)

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Dashes, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Dashes

Dashes New Member

So I bought a brand new STI-LS9 off of a friend who won it at a gunshow.

The gun is $725-$800 new from what I've gathered. The pricetag he had with it said the lower.

I don't know ANYTHING about STI... At all.

Are they reputable or did I buy myself a hi-point? (joking)

It's marketed as the 'Slimmest full power 1911 on the market'

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to add. I purchased it for $300.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  2. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

It's junk. I'll give you $350 and you can save yourself the hassle of owning it. :D

I have minimal range time with a buddies STI EDGE. I don't shoot 1911 style guns often, much less the more expensive ones, but the STI was pretty darn nice. Again, this was only a few hundred rounds so I can't speak for the long haul with one.

Their stuff is higher end, so I would say you got a great deal on a nice gun.

3. Dashes

Dashes New Member

I took it to the range this morning...

Jamming/chambering issues...

Sometimes when the slide cocks back after a shot and the slide is returning, it doesn't fully lock forward and must be pushed an inch or less down range to be operable..

Highly aggrivating...

I'm getting a 'shoulda bought a glock' sensation.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

What ammo were you using? If the slide failed to lock it is most likely an ammo issue. STI makes some of the finest single action autos on the planet. They tend to be very accurate with tight chambers.

Any decent auto pistol will require a break in period. Do not rush to judgement until you have shot at least 250 rounds thru it. If it still gives you trouble after that, return it to the factory (about 10 miles up the road from me) and they will de bug it.

If you are shooting reloads try the ammo in a case gauge, I'll bet it is out of specs.

5. Dashes

Dashes New Member

I'm not sure what brand the ammo is.

It's what ever the gun club had, I just told them I needed some 9mm.

Should I pick up some JHP's?

Also, When the magazine is full and in the gun and I pull the slide back....

Then release... The slide catches on the round, this is the same issue I have after firing a round as well.

Just to clarify...

So what brand of ammo would you recommend?

Thanks for the help

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Any newly manufactured 9mm ammo should work just fine. Just to be clear, is the nose of the bullet catching on the feed ramp (failure to feed)? Or is the slide stopping short of fully forward (failure to lock)?

Two different issues. Two different cures.

FTF- likely causes- bad magazine / change magazine.
    bad feed ramp / polish or return to STI

FTC- likely causes- dirty chamber / clean
    overly tight tolerances in locking lugs /break in for 200 rds
    overly tight at bushing/muzzle / break in
    overly tight chamber / return to STI

I would have a competent gunsmith well versed in 1911 pistols look it over. Make sure something is not terribly out of spec and shoot it in. Rack the slide several hundred times to help facilitate the break in. Change ammo to rule that out.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Robo's got a good list there of things to try. I would second to have someone familiar with the platform like a professional gunsmith take a look at it.

On the surface, from what I have read, it sounds like your feed ramp needs a good polishing and you should try a different mag and ammo combo.

STI makes a quality product, but like everything else, sometimes a bad one gets out the door. If it is their fault, I am sure they will fix it or make it right for you.

I don't know if you posted at pictures ( a downside to accessing from work where hosted photos are blocked ) but some chamber and inner workings pictures might help the guys here help you.

Best of luck

JD

8. Dashes

Dashes New Member

It does both of these...

Yes, the nose of the round is hitting the feed ramp.
    Short of being able to load freely.

And even once I get that round in the chamber and fire, it will do one of three things.

1.) FtF again.
    2.) FtC..
    3.) or work correctly, then repeat.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Have you tried it a different mag? Or do you just have the one mag?

Also, have you tried it with just one round ( the last round ) properly positioned in the mag and pull/release the slide. What happens then?

10. Dashes

Dashes New Member

I only have one mag. :(
    This is something I need to change.

Here's the pictures of the gun, the f2f and the feed ramp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

It's your magazine...

12. Dashes

Dashes New Member

^
    This is the best possible problem, IMO.

Magazines are easily replaced.

But what leads you this conclusion?

13. PeterGunn

PeterGunn New Member

All the ideas from the guys are excellent checklists.
    I would also consider if I am limpwristing the shorty 9.
    I don't mean this as an insult,either. It is common with the pocket size 1911s.

I have one of theses in the 2200 range of serial#.
    I own three spare mags. Will buy more for resting set.

The followers are sharp...too sharp. Files and or dremel tools remedy this.
    Mine locks on the last bang.

Slide function is flawless if I keep my chubby little thumb off it when firing. I just went to a thumb on safety hold and remedied the late close of FTF. Grip and rigidity of wrist are paramount in firing these smaller 9s. I've got about 600 rounds thru mine and only the, thumb in the way, bobbles I mentioned. Check your grip technique. I like the front strap surface feel. Chainlink stippling, I think they call it.

I shot my CCW course with this gun. It was new +50 rounds on course date.

It's a fine gun. It is v_e_r_y thin, eh.? Mine hides well.
    You'll find after a few hundred rounds it's a real quality ccw piece
    of total utilitarian top quality. Braggin rights for head shot capable accuracy, too. 1.50''@15 yds. WWB. Mine shoots where it looks. I will be putting a nite sight front on it for those things that I need a quick reference to aim with in the dark.

I am a fan of Corbon Hp 115gr. I want to try their all copper bullet in the LS9.

Hang with the girl, my friend. You can train 'er up for a few of the dollars you saved.
    I love mine. I carry it daily. It is not for sale, except for stupid money. I like this LS9.

14. Dashes

Dashes New Member

I actually traded the LS9 for a Glock.
    The 45 GAP.

I couldn't get the problem fixed and didn't really like the feel of it.
    Or the Caliber/Capacity on it.
    9mm/8rd...

The glock is buttery-smooth.

15. PeterGunn

PeterGunn New Member

I hope you drew some boot.

Be sure to mind that trigger safety, if you mexican carry that puppy. I have a friend that let one go while placing his in the waistband, sans proper Glock friendly holster. A nasty flesh wound in his right gluteus maximus was all he got for his error(lucky, I guess).... oh yeah, and a ruined pair of
    Wranglers.

16. PeterGunn

PeterGunn New Member

So, how is the 45GAP working out for you? The poly guns are certainly modern. I still opt for all metal guns, especially those made by Texas Pistol Artisans like the guys at STI. :D

17. Dashes

Dashes New Member

I definatly love it. I don't mind if a gun is modern or old school.
    So long as it's comfortable, effective and reliable.

I grew up shooting .45 long colt with my step-dad's father.

And I refuse to carry one in the chamber in a Glock.

I can draw and rack just as fast as some CCW'ers can draw.

18. PeterGunn

PeterGunn New Member

.45 Long Colt. A marvelous round and launching platform. :)
    Did you shoot any black powder rounds or just modern ammunition?

The question is: can you draw and rack as fast as the perp who is already in attack mode and you are having to take the reactive role?

Please let me recommend a book by Masaad Ayoob / IN THE GRAVEST EXTREME. Valuable lessons and good info in this text. It covers from ammo/weapon/carry options selections, a very accurate description of shots fired /altered perception, real time, to post shooting verbage to use with the responding police officers and most everything in between.

How is the GAP round recoil, in comparison to .45acp(which I find negligible)? Is yours double stack or single?........ hmmmm..... Are they making a single in .45GAP yet?
    I do like the 36. Likely my next purchase.

www.GrandfatherOak.com has some very usable holsters for several different types of carry. They're made of kydex, so, one hand reholstering.
    leather available.

Congrats on finding one you like and trust. That's a BIG hurdle in and of itself.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  19. Dashes

Dashes New Member

My grandfather shoots exclusivley black powder.
    Yep, another DarkSider.

And thank you for the great info.

I don't feel the recoil too much more than I do with a 9mm.

A little bit more, yes, but nothing to be afraid of at all.
    It feels slightly lighter or around the same as the ACP. Which some people find so greatly intimidating, for some reason.

It's a nice round and yesterday I put a GAP HP next to a ACP BALL and the ACP wasn't as much bigger as people were making it sound.

The difference was rediculously small.