Bought my first gun Friday!

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by irpotential, Sep 11, 2011.

1. irpotential

irpotential New Member

After renting/borrowing a Beretta 92FS, Glock 19, S&W 1911, FN 57, CZ 75B, and FNX-9, I've bought the FNX-9. I had a bit of trouble with it due to limp-wristing at first, but quickly resolved that and love the way it shoots. I really liked the gun being fully ambi since I'm left handed and found I liked hammer fired better than striker (S&W M&P's are ambi as well). Unfortunately all I could take home was the cleaning kit. I'm pretty excited about picking it up when I go for my next lesson later this week.

2. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

Congratulations. The FNX serious is a hell of a firearm. You will enjoy!

Sorry to say, but you are now addicted..... Although a firearms are a fun and "healthy" addiction, it is still recognized in this community as an addiction.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!

It wasn't so long ago I bought my first gun. I remember the excitement. Have fun and stay safe.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Congrats! Once you get it, break it in by running about 250-500 rounds through it.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations. :cool:

6. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

Congratulations!!! Good Luck with it.

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Congrats on the purchase,, those r nice!

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Get 'er dirty and then prove it to us with a range report.

9. Merhlyn

Merhlyn New Member

That's a nice looking gun. Have fun with it.

10. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Congrats, now let's see a range report :D

11. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Congrats. It's looking like an FN pistol is going to be my next purchase, either the FNX-9 or the FNP-45 USG. Cant decide which one though so I'll be anxious to see how yours shoots. Keep us posted.

Also, you might want to look into buying the Shooters Pack that FN puts out. It comes with a holster, mag holder, and a training barrel. The training barrel could definitely come in handy for you if practicing drawing or even for dry firing.

-Fred

12. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

Pics please once availble!

13. irpotential

irpotential New Member

Well, I ran 50 rounds through it before I purchased it. Like I said, I had a few problems at first due to limp-wristing, but as soon as I firmed up my grip and pushed my left and pulled my right hand I had no problems with the gun feeding properly. I mostly shot the gun SA and it was very accurate. I picked up 250 rounds of Federal ammunition today at Walmart. I can't wait to run them through the range over the next few weeks.

I was tempted to buy the FNP-45 Tactical they had, but the price of the gun and ammunition was just too high for me right now.

How can you carry with that kit? I don't really understand what the different attachments are and where they would allow you to carry the gun (basically IWB or OWB?).

EDIT:
    I'll get a range report as soon as I can. What is the typical content of a range report? I was surprised there wasn't a sticky with a short list of things expected in one.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  14. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I thought Fla, like NH had Given the ATF the finger and told them is was against the state constitution. Why could you not take it home?

15. irpotential

irpotential New Member

They said there was a 3 day waiting period for the paperwork/background check to be processed. It's a bit silly though when you make anyone who has filled out an SF-86 for their employment (I'm a Navy/DoD civil servant) wait for a background check.

I'm not in a huge hurry though. I've only just learned to shoot, so I don't intend to carry yet (and don't have a permit yet) and I wasn't planning on shooting again until Friday anyway.

16. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Yeah, the FNP-45 Tactical is a really cool pistol, but it's also very expensive. Plus I wouldn't use a lot of the features that the pistol offers.

It sounds like you're shooting in a Weaver stance (one are straight, one bent, and pushing/pulling the pistol), and that's fine. You're welcome to shoot however you like and tell anyone who says otherwise just where they can go, but if you're open to suggestion, there are many many people that shoot weaver, but there are also a lot of people now that are shooting Isosceles stance (me included), which is newer, but believed to be better. Now you may not know what this means (I didn't for the longest time), but I would recommend you read a book called Surgical Speed Shooting, by a guy named Andy Stanford. It explains the different stances and the benefits and drawbacks of each, plus a ton of other stuff beginning with the basics and working all the way up. I read it and would totally recommend it, it's a great read.

It's only an OWB holster, but it comes with two means of attaching it to your belt. One of the methods is simply two loops that the belt goes through, the other has a slot for the belt, but also has a big "paddle" for added support. The other accessories that come with it are nice, but one of the main reasons I suggest getting it is that Holsters for the FNP series are hard to find at this time. Blade-Tech is one of the few companies making them. Fobus is the only other company that I know of that makes them, which is another good company. They just don't make holsters for the FNP-45.

It just depends on whether you want a holster or not.

-Fred

17. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

There's a 3 day waiting period unless you have a concealed weapons permit, in which case there is none.

-Fred

18. irpotential

irpotential New Member

I believe the stance I've been instructed to use is the isosceles stance. My shoulders are square to the target and my arms are both equally extended. I'll take a look at that book and maybe buy it when I have some more time.

Can you recommend an IWB holster? I don't really plan on shooting competitively (I may go just for fun at some point though), but I may carry concealed at some point and will probably practice that way once I'm ready to draw the weapon from a holster.

19. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Yeah, that's isosceles. Just typically when people use the push/pull method it's in the weaver stance.

Give me a few minutes to look around at some of the usual suspects and I'll see which of them make IWB holsters for the FNX.

-Fred

20. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

That is still a bunch of BS. I guess Fla is not as free as I thought. Glad to be in the True free state. Clinton said about NH once, Forget the Marines, we can send NH and have 10,000 guns and riflemen. BTW that is the last time I'll ever qoute that dickless wonder. It was just after the Brady bill was signed, before it came into law. 10,000 Firearms sold in NH. That was a 2 week period.