Bought my first fire arm

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by y0L0slick, Feb 14, 2012.

1. y0L0slick

y0L0slick New Member

So I bought my first arm. I went with a Springfield xd 9mm. I pick it up this weekend. I'm curious about a couple things. I want to buy some ammo, can anyone give me some suggestions on good 9mm ammo. Also I want to buy a good holster..... Another thing I wanted to ask is should I take a safety course? It's cost 50$. I'm in the marines and I know how to handle weapons. I've had some expirience, so I'm curious if I should go to the safety class.

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Ammo: Winchester White Box or Wal-Mart Federal are fine for day to day practice. For social work, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger T, Federal Hydra Shock and so on. Most will do fine, just verify function before trusting your life to it.
    Holsters are a personal thing. I think that the Theis are great for IWB, but opinions vary. http://theisholsters.com/products.php
    As a member of the USMC, I'm going to assume that you spend enough time with various firearms to know how not to hurt yourself and those around you. If you had never handled a pistol before, then I'd recommend it.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

Congrats Yolo, that makes 2 new Springfield owners today so far!!!

4. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome.

A holster......? For open carry or concealed? For concealed Remora or Crossbreed are good. They are quite different from each other, but both have their place. Holsters are personal items............. ;)

5. y0L0slick

y0L0slick New Member

I've handled many weapons before. And in the corps there huge on safety. But not so much a pistol. I'm just wondering if it's that much different from handling semi auto rifles. I don't want it to be a waste o time and money.

6. y0L0slick

y0L0slick New Member

Haha it's nice to know I'm not alone...I feel like the new kid on the block. Ima a real amature when it comes to pistols.

7. y0L0slick

y0L0slick New Member

Most definitely concealed... What is the price range for those holsters?

8. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I got a Galco holster for my Gp100 and it was right around $100 but from talking to a guy at my local gun store he said it will last me for a very long time. So for me spending a little more up front will pay off in the long run.

Attached Files:

9. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Anything you can get a WalMart will be fine for range time. I keep Hornady Critical Defense in mine for carry.

You probably know more about how to handle a gun than anyone else who will take the class. But if you don't need $50, there's a lot worse things you could spend the money on. The new material would be likely dependent on how much attention the instructor puts towards the legalities of carrying. I'd ask before hand.

10. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Im not sure your going to find anyone here that would say "f it, you're a marine youve had training". You don't seem to sure about it so if you can afford it, do it. Alot of places will teach tactical after the initial course too, sometimes in a package deal. Theres that, and if you're going to carry concealed you probably have some handgun safety training requirement anyway.

11. bones72

bones72 New Member

Iwb holster n82 tactical professional.

12. Vincine

Vincine New Member

May I suggest you consider taking a course that goes over what’s justified, and what’s legal.
    They’re not always the same thing and you should know what the ground rules are where you live.

13. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Yes, yes, yes, yes on the safety class. $50 is a small price for safety...but look around, you can probably find one for less. A Hunter Safety class is often less and goes over firearm safety quite well.

There is a huge number of ammo choices. The major brand names are usually a good way to go, especially during break in period on the new gun. Hold off on the cheapo plinking stuff until you have run a few hundred rounds through and you know the firearm better.

And buy a safe to secure your purchase.

14. y0L0slick

y0L0slick New Member

Thank you. I think I'll go. You can never be to safe. Luckily I already own a safe so in good on that.