Bought my first .22 today!

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by therhino, Dec 31, 2010.

1. therhino

therhino New Member

Well, after shopping around and doing a TON of research over the past month or so, I finally busted outmy wallet, and bought my first .22 rifle.
    Anyone who's read my intro post knows I'm a marine veteran who's never fired anything smaller than a 5.56mm round. Antitank rockets, .50 cal HMG, sure. No handguns, no plinkers, ever.
    I'd looked at a whole bunch of options, and today was comitted to bringing something home. I'd had my sights set on a used rifle, because of the cost. On the rack today were two Marlin 60s, two Remington 597s, and a Mossberg 702 Plinkster.

The Plinkester was nice, but I didn't like the plastic stock. Pass.
    One of the Marlins was near-new, and priced accordingly. One was listed at $135, but was stainless, had a Tasco scope, and no iron sights. Pass.
    The first 597 was in good shape, with a monster of a a scope, but no iron sights. The second was a train wreck. Whoever had owned it before had SPRAY PAINTED it. Not just the stock, but the whole rifle, barrel, trigger, scope, and all. They at least capped the scope lenses before spraying, but this thing was a wreck. Priced accordingly, and I thought about taking it to see if I could remove the paint, but remembered the stock underneath was resin, and would likely not stand up too well to a solvent bath.

In the end I went with...*drumroll*...a brand new Ruger 1022. Standard carbine with blued finish and birch stock. I like the heft of it. Not too heavy, and not too light. Simple iron sights, and already tapped and mounted for a scope, should I feel the need to become a squirrel sniper. Plus, if i ever decide to go hog-wild, I can swap stocks and make it look like I'm an armchair SpecOps operator, lol.

Any tips on breaking in the 1022 for first usage? Do I need to scrub out the factory lube and such, or will it fire fine right out of the box?

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

You made the correct choice :D
    SEMPER FI

BTW- I bought my 1st NIB 10-22 about a month ago-
    Never crossed my mind to clean it-----:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010

3. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

GREAT choice! It should be OK from the box, I guess? I've always cleaned a new weapon just to get any factory shavings out and to start them right with my lubes. Force of habit!

Good luck with the new toy, you're gonna love it! Ken

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

5. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Yep! what he ^ said! :D

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Actually, it will fire right out of the box.

For a .22 rifle, I will just look at the action for extra oil and wipe it down if I feel the need. Next, I will do the same with the mag if applicable. Lastly, I load it and fire it. Fire the heck out of it. Dry swab or bore snake after the first few hundy rounds. Love it, enjoy it and get comfy with it. Then, send the trigger assembly to Stalkingbear. :D

7. therhino

therhino New Member

Ask and ye shall receive...

[​IMG]

Pretty basic. Will likely do a lot of shooting with the iron sights before I bother with a scope.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations! 10/22's are the Swiss Army Knives of .22 rifles. You'll love it.

... and +1 on having Stalkingbear do a trigger job on it. :cool:

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Have fun with her!

10. safedman

safedman New Member

Welcome to the addiciton. Way too many after market parts and accessories. I but one last year for Matches and now I am building one for wabbit huntin! This is a great little gun.
    Congrats!!!:)

11. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

New rifles these days generally have a heavy preservative oil in them - CLEAN 'em out good, and oil lightly with your choice of a good gun lube. A 'dry lube' is even better.
    Ruger 10-22's can always benefit from a decent polishing of the trigger and sear too. That heavy gritty 'lawyer trigger' irks me. Many replace the parts - not needed unless for competition.
    My 10-22 is nine years old, with only a good polish job and the Gosh-aweful stock finish removed and refinished. Otherwise bone stock.....

[​IMG]

12. Swiftyjuan

Swiftyjuan New Member

You will get the fever, and this could end up being only the first of several. I am up to seven, although I bought some already finished. Barrels, stocks, triggers, you are in trouble!

13. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member

It seems that the .22 has been fashioned into the gateway of guns. I, like most, get their first rifle (usually a .22) from the ole' man as gift, and it spins into a whole new dimension of firearm passion. Once that love gets it's hooks in you, you are hooked for life. Happy plinking and be safe.

14. therhino

therhino New Member

Thanks, all.
    I think this is indeed going to be my "gateway rifle." I was looking at an Arisaka Cavalry Carbine at the shop when I bought my Ruger, though the $1-per-round price tag of 6.5mm Japanese ammo is a bit much. A Ruger Ranch Rifle would cost more to buy, but less to feed!

Supposed to make a date with my dad to go shooting sometime soon.

15. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Any foray into the heady world of milsurps pretty much demands handloading! "Rolling your own" can pay for itself quickly, especially for weird stuff like Arisakas and Austro-Hungarian Steyrs.

I sued to buy nice old .22 rifles cheap, so have a pretty good collection going. Nowadays though, any rough and raggedy .22 rifle starts at $150 at the gun&pawn shops! Takes the fun out of it.....

16. GrumpyPine

GrumpyPine New Member

You should investigate the Tech Sights if you really want to stick to irons. Especially if you end up doing something like an Appleseed shoot.

Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories

17. GSGMan

GSGMan New Member

I have the exact same one, color and model :D Really fun little gun nice choice.

18. therhino

therhino New Member

Ohhh, I like those! I saw a similar setup in this M1 tribute conversion kit...

M1 Carbine Ruger 10/22 Tribute - An M1 Carbine Replica Stock for the Ruger 10/22 with Sling, Oiler, and Military Style Sights

I really miss the dual-aperature peeps from my M16A2. these might be the perfect replacement!

19. PTsouthpaw

PTsouthpaw New Member

+1 for the Tech-Sights. I have them on my Marlin 795 and love them. The factory irons really leave a lot to desire on most of the new .22 autoloaders (my 10/22 doesn't have factory Irons either)

20. Leathermarshmallow

Leathermarshmallow New Member

I did a lot of shooting with my 10/22 with iron sights. I have had it for about 30 years. I finally got around to putting a scope on it last month!