Bought an XDS .45

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by aandabooks, Aug 7, 2013.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Last night I traded off my M&P9c for an XDS .45. I got to shoot one at the range about a week ago and that ended any recoil concerns that I had previously had. I have really fallen out of love with the 9mm round and I really love shooting the .45 in my SA Loaded. I reload for 9mm and have a couple thousand on hand. I'm down to my Ruger SR9 as my sole 9mm.

I'll pick the gun up in another couple days (IL 3 day wait). Probably start looking for an IWB holster, mag extensions and maybe an overgrip. Another couple mags will be needed also.

Any other common accessories I should look for? I want a holster specifically for this gun so any recommendations are appreciated. I will be looking to buy one locally without having to order.

I also worked a Savage .17hmr into the deal. It has the blued varmint barrel with a wood stock. That is what sold me on it.

2. mybigguns

mybigguns New Member

i love my N82 tactical professional IWB holster.

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

Congrats on your new acquisition.

If you do decide to order later on, I recommend the Old Faithful holsters. Excellent quality, warranty, price point (you can get kits you put together yourself), made in USA, etc. I got mine in I think two weeks after I ordered it.

4. arizona98tj

arizona98tj New Member

Congratulations on your XDs45 purchase. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Here is a pic of mine along with holster and mag holder.
    [​IMG]

5. BUCSFAN99

BUCSFAN99 New Member

I picked up some Pearce pinky extensions for about $9 each and I highly recommend them.

IMO, the Milt Sparks VersiMax-2 is my favorite IWB holster for my 1911 so I ordered one for my XD-S and it's shipping next Friday. One of my friends already got his VM-2 for his XD-S about a month ago and it's awesome. Currently orders at Milt Sparks are taking 14-16 weeks. The VM-2 is worth the wait and also worth every penny.

6. arizona98tj

arizona98tj New Member

How do you like the extension? Have you had some range time with it? Before and after comments?

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Gives more control having that extra finger on the grip . Well worth the $9

8. BUCSFAN99

BUCSFAN99 New Member

I have big hands so it made a world of difference for me. I get a better purchase on the grip for sure. I really didn't like the 7 round extended mag. Adding the $9 pinky extension is worth it for sure. Take the $9 plunge, you won't regret it.

9. FLASHBANG

FLASHBANG New Member

Pinky extensions a must then extra mags, put TFO on it ! Ordered the size for xd sub they fit great, I really like the little xds 45 with inside the belt holster. You forget it's even there. I'm am pleasantly surprised mild kick and very accurate at 50 feet . Have not had one hiccup with it, very satisfied ! 500 rounds

10. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Picked it up this evening. Thought I was going to look for a paddle holster but realized the one that came with the gun was pretty decent. Spent the money on an extra 7 round mag. GM didn't have the magazine extensions but I've got a couple more places to check. Now I just need to find some time to go shoot it.

11. BUCSFAN99

BUCSFAN99 New Member

Use the paddle holster for now but I suggest getting a nice leather IWB. Most people will redommend the Milt Sparks VersaMax-2. It's anywhere from 14-18 week to get your order but it's worth the wait. Bought a VM-2 for my Kimber Pro CDP II and have been wearing it every day. So comfortable that you will sometimes forget you even have it on.

12. BUCSFAN99

BUCSFAN99 New Member

Placed my order for my second Milt Sparks VersaMax-2 a couple of months ago for my XD-S .45. They charged my credit card today so that is the sign that it shipped today. I love how they don't charge you until the order is complete. On their website they state that they don't believe in charging anything until it is a complete product that is ready to ship.

This one cost me $175 but I got it in black horsehide with sharkskin patch and loops. I figured that if I'm going to be spending a bunch on a nice holster I should just go all out. Some folks asked why I picked horsehide over cowhide was pretty simple. House is more water repellant. I tend to sweat heavily during these hot Oklahoma summers and didn't want my premium holster to be a premium sweat sponge.

Once I get it in I will post pics of both VM-2's and the awesome cargo they carry. I've also found out that if you have the VM-2 for the XD-S it will work perfectly for the .45 and 9MM version. My wants a XD-S 9MM.

13. BUCSFAN99

BUCSFAN99 New Member

It was tough to find the Pearce pinky extensions in the local shops. None of them really wanted to carry the inventory. I live near Tulsa Oklahoma and we have gun shows every month, sometimes every weekend that month. That has always been the best place to get the extensions. I'd hit up the big tables that see magazines and ask someone behind the booth if they had any. Not very easy spot without a little help.

This is just me, but I don't like the extended magazine. It throws the balance of the pistol off a little and it's not a deal breaker for to just be carrying 5+1. I should be able to handle my attacker with 6 rounds of .45.

14. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

Diddo...the extended magazine is OK for training IMO but for carry I think 6 -. 45 are sufficient for most probable cenerios

15. BUCSFAN99

BUCSFAN99 New Member

Here is a pic of my VM2 for my XDS. Horsehide with sharkskin trim.

Attached Files:

16. ironsights88

ironsights88 New Member

I really do like that holster for the XDs. You min telling me about it?