Bought a used G23 - needs slide

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by 12fretter, Nov 4, 2013.

1. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I just bought a used G23. It may have been a mistake, but I don't think so. The guy had the barrel polished, and when he started taking the finish off the slide to polish it too, he noticed what looks like a crack running the entire length of the slide. He didn't want to both with it, so he sold it. And, for some reason, he drilled two holes, one on each side of the front sight. Porting? I don't know. It's missing the front sight. He etched a Celtic cross on the top. The slide is a mess.

All this to ask, does anyone have, or know of, a used G23 slide that I can buy without spending the $200 for a new Lone Wolf? I don't care about stainless steel, this will be my every day carry. Do used slides even exist? I would imagine that Lone Wolf exists for a reason. People replace their slides. What do they do with their old one? Would any of them consider selling one to me?

2. therukh

therukh New Member

There might be someone with a slide to sell here on FireArmsTalk & you could go to some gun shops in your area. I would call Glock & see what they say just for your own edification. It might surprise you!

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

also try the gun auction sites. people sell used gun parts on them too.

4. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I sent an email to Glock this morning just to if they are curious as to why it's faulty. I'm hopeful they will want to see it.

5. therukh

therukh New Member

I've had many guns sent back to Glock and they have treated me well in most cases. I'd be interested in hearing what they have to say.

6. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

Keep an eye out on gun broker and armslist

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Please post some pics.

8. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

There are some parts showing up on eBay from weapons destroyed by police departments. I've found quite a few for my S&W wheel guns.

Doesn't hurt to look.

9. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I've put a wanted ad on Armslist and some local FB group pages looking for a used slide. But here are some pics of what I have. I really looks like a weld joint not a crack, but I don't know. You can see that it goes all the way to the front end where I've highlighted the angular line of the fissure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

From what i've read the Glock receivers are made of hammer forged steel.

That line on your receiver looks to me to be from manufacturing during the hammer forging process? I would definitely call Glock and send it in to see what they say about

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I've seen quite a few polished Glock slides and I've never seen that. I'm anxious to hear what Glock has to say.
    I'll never understand why people do this. 90% of what makes a Glock a Glock is the finish.

12. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

www.glocktalk.com always has slides for sale on there. You can use a G23 or G32 slide.

13. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I agree 100%. I called Glock today and they want to see it. If its covered under warranty it won't cost me a dime. It's going on the Big Brown today. I'll keep you all up to date.

Just as a guess, I suspect they will cover this.

14. dcilten

dcilten New Member

Looks like problem solved. I was going to say you could check www.glockstore.com they have factory slides for $250.00, Or a complete slide with all parts for $400.00. But for that price you would be better off just buying a brand new one...

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

That looks like a production issue to me, could be a piece of wire or flash got into the dies when the slide was being forged to me.

Didn't you say there was an issue with the barrel as well?

16. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Nope, no problem with barrel. He had that polished by someone else. Looks great.

It all went back to Glock today and in my letter I asked how much to check out and refurbish it all.

17. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Well I heard from Glock. And here is a lesson to all who have polished barrels and slides. They are going to cover the slide and replace it under warranty, however, polishing the barrel made it slip out of spec and that voided the warranty. However, they offered me two options:

1. Replace the barrel for $125, they will replace the slide under warranty, but then the warranty from this point on is void for that gun.
    2. Replace the entire gun with my choice of a gen 3 or 4 refurbished, with 6 magazines and full warranty for $250. (I sent the gun in with two original mags that worked fine, plus two Glock mags that wouldn't eject properly)

Which one do you think I picked??? No brainer. My hat's off to Glock for their awesome customer service. I'm getting a new gun soon, with extras. When you slam it all together, here are the numbers:

Original purchase:

Gun, 2+2 mags, 2 holsters (VersaCarry and Blackhawk adjustable paddle), a laser that was wrong for the gun but may work on my AR platform 22, 140 rounds of ammo - $330
    if you extract the ammo which is tangible value of about $55, that leaves $275 for the gun plus 2 Mags....scrap the crappy laser and two holsters as zero value, even though the holsters are usable.

$275 plus $275 again (Glock $250 plus TN tax) = $550 but comes with 6 magazines and warranty. You can get a new gen 4 delivered from Bud's for $542, but with three mags.

It may not be the greatest of deals, but I'm not losing anything either. And as long as I ultimately like the gun, it's a winner.

Kudos again to Glock.

18. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I would just replace the barrel, for $400 you'll have yourself a refurbished glock 23 ready to go. Or for the regular price of a new glock you could have gen 4 with 3 free mags

19. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I forgot to mention that Glock said the frame was an early 90's frame, so some time in the past, since Gen 2.5, this gun was rebuilt to a Gen 3. With that in mind, being a 20 year old gun and no warranty from here on out, would you still opt for just the barrel?

I opted for spending the extra and getting a whole new (refurbished) G23 Gen 4 with a total of 6 mags.

20. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Glad to hear they took care of the problem. I've only used their customer service once but was very happy with how they treated me. Mine was a police trade in gen 2, 17. They replaced everything but the barrel, slide and frame, replaced every one if the old mags. No charge.