Bought a Ruger P 85 Mark II today

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Don Davis, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I bought a new to me used Ruger P 85 Mark II today.

Anyone have any experience with this gun?

I can't wait to shoot it.

I'll post a picture of it later.

:cool:

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Enjoy your new pistol!

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The Ruger P series although "ugly" is 1 of the most under rated series of pistols out there. They are extremely reliable but not known for gilt edged accuracy. I currently have a P-90 (.45) for my truck gun and feel confident that it'll handle anything I need it to do.

4. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

You know, someone on another forum said it was "ugly", not Glock ugly, but at least homely :eek:

So I picked it up and looked at it, I don't think it's so ugly.

Probably because I just bought it.:)

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I like the P85 Mark II's. Good reliable rugged Pistol. Plus it is a Ruger, can't go wrong there.

Pics Please

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

They are large and "chunky" but very reliable. I had a P89 for 10 years and it never malfunctioned...

7. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

I bought mine 16 years ago NIB. I like for my boys to shoot it because it is large and stable. When my middle son was 10, he had a few FTE because he only weighed about 80 lbs and was limp wristing it. It has been nothing but dependable though.

[​IMG]

8. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

Texanbybirth

Her's what mine looks like.

[​IMG]

Look like twins.:D

9. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Congrats on yer new pistola!:cool:

10. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Ain't no Ugly there. Very nice looking pistols right there.

11. Esteban

Esteban New Member

Being ugly means VERY little when used in defense. It may even scare the suspect more. A friend has one & I have NEVER seen a more reliable shooter. He can mix any & all types of ammo in it & it feeds , shoots, & ejects every time. That's not ugly .

12. russ

russ New Member

I like it. But I'm probably a little biased anyway. My Ruger KP944 was the first gun I ever bought for myself and has been the benchmark of reliability that all other firearms get measured against.

13. MilProAkron

MilProAkron New Member

Howdy

Sorry to rehash an old post, but I'm new here and just came across it.

I owned a P85 MKII for 15 years and it never jammed, FTF OR FTE, while I poured close to 8k rounds through it over those years. I carried it for my CCW in California and participated in a Navy SEAL handgun course using it.

I finally got rid of it because its basically just too big and heavy for a 9mm, the same complaint I have about the M9 pistol. I eventually replaced it with a Glock, but I would have no problem owning another some day.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  14. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

Had a P series Ruger in .45 (P90). Nice dependable pistol. My only problem was just too bulky to carry comfortably. Traded it on a 1911. That must have been in the early 90's.