bought a Ruger 77 Frontier 300 wsm today

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by shoez, Sep 27, 2009.

1. shoez

shoez New Member

Hello all,

Well, I bought a used Ruger 77 frontier rifle today chambered in 300 wsm. I've posted here before about these guns and other short rifles, but I came back to this one anyway. I was really in the mood for something different and would make a good hog gun. Well this is definately different. I like the forward mounted scope as I am used to that set up from my Ithica slug gun. It will be my first dealings with a magnum rifle though. I'm not too worried about recoil as I am an Illinois resident and have cut my teeth on 12 gauge slug guns.( we have to used slugs for deer here is this great state.) I own a .30-06, 8mm mauser, 45-70, 223, and a couple of old .30 Remingtons though.

A 16" barreled 300 wsm should be an interesting experience. I got a great deal on the gun. It was bought at Cabella's (my first gun from them) and had a Leupold FX II 2x20mm scope already on it. I checked and this scope sells for $349. I got the whole package for $600. They wanted $749 but took 150 off because they had it awhile. I saw another gun like it on Gun Broker for $622 and add a $349 scope for a new package , I'd say I did okay for $600. It is an extremely handy rifle. Now I have to save for brass and dies! What do you guys think?

2. cobra22

cobra22 New Member

Hi

Im in Illinois too..Cook County... enough said. I bought a Remy 700 in 300WSM last week. I should have it at my FFL next Tuesday. It will be good to see how our rifles perform.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

It is REALLY hard to see. Must be because your pictures are so tiny. Sounds like an awesome deal, though.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

What the hell are you talking about? Pistol what pistol?

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Jeez Tango, you don't actually expect him to read the threads he posts in do you?

7. shoez

shoez New Member

OK don't yell at me! I didn't have the gun last night to post pics because here in the Republik of Illinois, I had to wait 24 hours to pick it up, even though I was trading a rifle. So here it is. I sure wish the scope wasn't silver, but I can live with it. It's a real shame these rifles didn't catch on better. I'll give a range report when I get some ammo. And on top of the good deal I got, I got to use a $20 off coupon on the difference. So basically I traded a Savage 12 .223 thumbhole heavy barrel with NO scope and $142.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

They are nice looking rifles. I still get a little wiered out by the forward mounted scope but for a brush gun at short ranges it looks like the cats nuts.

If that is used the owner didn't use it very much.

10. shoez

shoez New Member

your right it does look a little weird, but all you have to do is shoulder it up and it feels great. My shot gun for deer is set up this way too, so I am kind of used to it.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I bet that thing is a pleasure to pack all day in the field.