Bought a RIA 1911 today

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by CA357, Nov 24, 2010.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I really liked the little Ruger SR9c, but it just wasn't my style. I'm just not a polymer frame guy. Steel just seems right in my hands. So I sold it this morning. :p

While I was at the shop doing the transfer, I looked at a basic GI Rock Island and bought it. I'm looking forward to shooting it and putting some miles on it.

Now, my only other experience with RIA was with a Tactical model I bought a couple of years back. It just wouldn't feed and I didn't feel confident with it. I tried different mags and all the usual stuff, but nothing worked. So I dropped it like a hot rock. ;)

However, it seems that everyone that has one really likes it, so I concluded I had gotten a lemon. I figure any manufacturer can put out a bad gun once in a while.

So, December 3rd, I'll bail it out of CA gun jail and see if it's going to be a keeper.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great news Don. Glad to see you back in steel!

[​IMG]

3. CA357

Yeah, I'm just not a polymer guy at heart. The cool thing is that now I can dual wield 1911's. :D

4. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Don,

You are going to out do NGIB if you keep it up.

5. CA357

Never happen. :eek:

6. kyleytxrialover

kyleytxrialover New Member

welcome to the rock

grats on the rock i own 2 a fs and a 4in the fs has over 4,5k in the pipe
    the 4in has 3k and the only probs were a broken firing pin put in a ste of
    wolf springs and off to the races, they are both in my edc so i do trust my life
    to them both. Some people say that a rock is a cheap 1911 but i say(nay-nay:D) imho it is a very good entry level 1911, if yours is nib field strip oil the rocks like to run a little wet,

put 500 in it clean shoot have fun repeat:D as for the warranty lifetime, and they are close to you in N.V i have the contact info if you want.

7. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Accurate

My only issue; the sights suck in low light conditions for me. The firearm is way more accurate than I. Sights will be replaced withs "3 dot"
    Having never wanting for a 1911; this is a fun surprise.:)

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Good on ya Don...

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Looking forward to your review, Don.

10. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Sounds like a good trade to me. I'm looking forward to the range report.

11. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Nothing better than a 1911 in hand.

Jim.................

12. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Congrats Don! Here's a very close, if not the same...;) representation of one of mine, shoots where I point it, no complaints. :cool:

Attached Files:

13. CA357

That's a nice looking pistol Jack.

My first love will always be my Sistema, but the RIA will make a good all around utility pistol.

BTW, when Jo da plumber and I were at the range last Saturday, I just could not hit with the Ruger. I picked up the Sistema and put the first round dead nuts center in the bull. I pointed it out to Jo and his comment was: "Better class of weapon". ;)

14. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

Yeah, give us the skinny when you fire it! I have heard good things about Rock Island from the local gun shop. The guy there told me that, though they have a lifetime warranty, he has never seen anyone have to send them back as of yet. I plan on getting one in 9mm, so I can have a plinking gun in my 1911 format : )

15. CA357

I'll give a full range report after it's in hand. The only change I foresee at this point is changing out the grips. I'll either put on slim grips or some plain old checkered walnut grips.

It has the A1 rounded backstrap and I may want to slim it down. I'll have to see how well I shoot it. My preference has always been for a flat MSH.

16. franco45

franco45 Member

Good luck with your RIA. I bought a two tone tactical about 6 weeks ago. I have put about 600 rounds downrange with only 1 missfeed.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2010
  17. CA357

Excellent! That's good to hear.

franco, I accidentally hit edit instead of "quote" on your post. That's why it says last edited by CA357. :rolleyes:

18. franco45

franco45 Member

no problem, good luck and good shooting CA357.

19. allmons

allmons New Member

I am very pleased with my RIA

Great price, well made 1911 entry weapon. Although I didn't have a lot of faith in the factory mag, it has held it's own with the Chip McCormick's mags I bought to carry with it.

Having fired more than 700 rounds without a single misfeed or FTF, I have been VERY impressed. Note that the gun's accompanying instruction manual states ball ammo only. I have fired hollow points without issue, but if it ever does jam with JHP's, I will have to admit I was warned.

Short version - works better than my last Colt 1911, and cost a hell of a lot less!
    :cool:

20. CA357

I feel quite adequately armed with 230gr. ball ammunition. :cool: