Bought a new 22LR pistol today

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Poink88, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Yesterday, I visited a local Academy store and saw a Walther P22 on sale for $289 and a Browning 22LR Buck Mark for $280.

Consulted my wife and she said she didn't like the Browning and prefer the P22 based on the pictures. Today we went to see them and my wife turned after holding them both. P22 is really light, compact and pretty but somehow, the heft of the Buck Mark won her over (while I am secretly shouting with joy) LOL.

The Browning Buck Mark came home with us...with some CHEAP ammo. I bought a total of 3,500 rounds of 22LR from Walmart for $106.40. SWEET!!!!

EDIT IN: Anybody know where I can get decent priced extra mags? Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

She made the right choice, in my opinion! Congrats and enjoy.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Hang on to that woman, you got a good one!

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The Browning is the better of the two in my opinion. The triggers in them are fantastic and only get better with age:)

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

She's a keeper! The pistol and the wife!! :D

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Excellent! Congratulations. Pictures and a range report are expected. ;)

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Nice choice! I have had my Buckmark since 1985. Great pistol. Just sold my P22 to a buddy who had to have it, but I'll get another eventually. It is nice too.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Yep, she made the right choice. Pics to follow? :)

9. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

Great choice on a 22lr!

10. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I bought the wife the walther p22. Its ok I guess. be better once i break it in, i dont recommend un-jacketed ammo though. Its a ***** to clean out.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Check out the CDNN website for mags.

12. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

13. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

Congratulation on the buy!

14. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I know. Thanks.

Problem is she started claiming it and told me I can keep the XDM-40 for myself. Not bad since she also asked me if I am planning on buying another. :D

Shocking for me since we don't have any firearm 2 months ago...now we have 4 (2 pistols and 2 rifle). Maybe a 5th one is in the near future (could be an AR :p but I haven't told her yet)

15. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Congrats on your new Buckmark,they're great pistols.

Only buy Browning Magazines for it,most aftermarket mags are nothing but problems in them.

If you have problems with the ammo you got at Wallyworld,it's not the mfg's fault.I don't buy any ammo from Walmart or Academy.They force the mfg's to almost sell the ammo to them for free,so the mfg's don't spend much time with quality control for their runs of ammo.
    You can buy the exact same types of ammo at another store and it will all shoot with very little problems if any,but the so called discount stores will be junk.

You get what you pay for!

16. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

+1 on the mags. I've seen a couple aftermarket mags that made good paperweights. I've used TONS of Walmart ammo but I might just be lucky too. I have heard issues about them before. And Walmart is da debbil.

17. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

A few things I did to my new gun (which I have not fired yet).

Cocking/racking the slide is super heavy. I strongly doubt the 22 recoil is strong enough to cycle it. I stripped it and modified the cocking ramp profile with a pile and sanded it after. It now cycles with less than half the original effort but still stiffer than my XDM-40. Hopefully the hammer springs become softer with some use. I am storing it now cocked also hoping it will help.

The stiff cocking plus the sharp edges of the slide gave me some nasty cuts on my fingers. I sanded the corners on (rear) 1/2 part of the slide. Re-blued it after and it is so much nicer now.

Trigger is very crisp and nice, it is surprisingly much better than the XDM. Grip also feel much better to me, probably because it is slimmer.

I haven't fired this yet but I am so loving this pistol already (my XDM is probably getting jealous now :D)