Bought a couple new scopes

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Txhillbilly, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Cameraland had some great deals on the Bushnell Nitro series scopes that ended yesterday. Not only were they greatly discounted,you get a rebate back from Bushnell.
    I've been wanting to put a higher magnification scope on my Target 10/22,my eyes ain't what they used to be,and the 4-12x Redfield just didn't work for me being able to see tiny holes on target at 100 yards or more.
    So,I bought a Bushnell Nitro 5-20x44mm SFP Deploy MOA reticle scope from Cameraland. They had it on sale for $199,it retails for $499,plus I'll get a $58 rebate from Bushnell.
    https://cameralandny.com/shop/bushn...1b7d-0138-7ad9-00163e90e196?variation=2104353

It arrived today,so I mounted it on the rifle in a set of 30mm Burris Signature Zee rings. I must say,this looks to be a very good scope. The glass is good,and I like the reticle. The scope isn't much longer than the Redfield that was on the rifle,so it doesn't look like it doesn't belong on a 22.
    I also changed the scopes on my Remington 552 Speedmaster. I've had a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 on it for years,which works great for hunting but sucks trying to see shots on targets. I had a Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP Mildot scope setting around,so I mounted it on the 552.
    When I take it hunting,I'll just swap it back to the Leupold.

Now for the best deal! I've been looking for a deal on another high end long range scope,and did I find one. There are some great deals on used tier 1 scopes,and I missed a March 3-24x by a day. There are plenty of $1500 Vortex Razor HD's for sale,but I don't want another 3 lb scope.
    Then I come across a Steiner T5xi 5-25x56 FFP SCR reticle on Amazon for $1409. That's a $2500 scope,and even on sale at some other online dealers it goes for over $2k.
    Sign me up! Even after taxes it's under $1500,so I bought one,and ordered another set of ARC M10 rings to mount it. It should arrive in a few days,then I'll decide what rifle gets it,and take some pics of everything.
    https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/t-series/t5xi-5-25x56

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

That all sounds very interesting. Post some pics when you get everything mounted up.

PeeJay1313 likes this.

3. Txhillbilly

Will do. I'd go ahead and sight in the 22's but it would probably start raining about the time I got the targets set up.

OLD Ron, PeeJay1313 and towboater like this.
  4. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Darn good shopping!

OLD Ron likes this.
  5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I say! Well done, old chap!

We think of "high quality, clear glass, etc" as a new innovation.

But I'm still amazed every time I look through my old WW2 German military 4X Hensoldt sniper scope!:)

OLD Ron likes this.
  6. Txhillbilly

Oh No,The German's and Austrian's have been producing that High quality,clear glass for well over 100 years,and Japanese glass isn't too far behind them.

OLD Ron and locutus like this.
  7. locutus

I'm not an expert on glass, but it appears to me the Japs achieved what they set out to do.

Make lenses that are 90 percent as good as German lenses at 50 percent of the cost.

That's business genius.

OLD Ron, towboater, Shopfox and 2 others like this.
  8. Txhillbilly

The Steiner is scheduled to arrive Saturday,hopefully my rings will get here by then.
    Walked up to the mailbox,and the rings are here. The scope should be mounted this weekend,I've decided to put it on my Savage 12 FLVSS 223 to test it out.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    towboater and locutus like this.
  9. Txhillbilly

Alright,I got both scopes mounted and sighted in today.
    First up is the Bushnell Nitro 5-25x44mm that I put on my Target 10/22. I was surprised at the overall quality of this scope - Never been a real big Bushnell fan. The side focus and magnification rings turn smoothly,yet are stiff enough for good operation.
    The reticle is very good,and easy to see even in obscured backgrounds - bushes/trees. The glass quality is pretty good,and better than other scopes in this class of scopes. Edge to edge clarity is very good at all magnifications,and the eye focus is easy to adjust for perfect reticle focus.
    I like the turret design,it's like the Weaver Super Slam turrets. Once you zero the scope,you just unscrew the top of the turret,remove the turret sleeve,set it to zero,and reinstall the top. No tools/coins needed! The clicks are nice and firm,so you can easily adjust the turret's by feel.
    It has good eye relief,and is an easy scope to get behind. Good bright colors,good contrast.
    It even comes with decent lens covers. I rather it was black instead of the grey color,but I can live with it.
    All in all,I think this is a pretty good scope,especially for the price I paid for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PeeJay1313, towboater and Gatoragn like this.
  10. Txhillbilly

The Steiner T5xi 5-25x56mm FFP SCR illuminated reticle.
    This is a very nice and well built scope,and I can't believe Amazon was selling it for $1409.00. It list for $2500+,and most places sell it for $2000 - $2300.
    Being a 34mm main tube optic,they are a lot heavier than most. I think this scope weighs 33 ounces,so it's still lighter than some other's that I have.
    I love the turrets on this scope! Easy to grip,nice hard audible clicks,and the windows on the elevation turret is genius. It's numbered 1-11 mils on the first rotation,but when you go past 11 mils,the numbers change to 12-23 mils. No guessing where you are at when cranking the turrets when shooting long range. Plus,it has a built in zero stop that always stops the turret at -.3 mils.
    The glass is excellent,as it should be on this class of scope. Super bright,crystal clear edge to edge,and I like the illuminated SCR reticle. The illumination has 11 setings,and it turns off between each setting.
    It has a locking eye focus piece,so you can set it and forget it. The scope also comes with a throw lever,and Tenabrex lens covers,as well as a 3" sun shade.
    As always,I mounted this scope in a set of American Rifle Co. M10 scope rings. IMO,These are the best scope rings made. They securely hold high $$$$ optics in place without damaging the scope,and are super easy to level the scope with. The rings only have 2 bolts,one on the base,and one on the rings. It sounds crazy,but you torque them to 55 inch lbs. The rest of your rifle will come loose before these rings do!
    Size wise,this scope isn't much longer than the Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm scope that I had on this rifle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PeeJay1313, towboater and Gatoragn like this.
  11. Txhillbilly

Here's what the turret windows look like when you go from the 1st to 2nd rotation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sighted it in 3 shots,and then shot a 5 shot group at 100 yards. I'd say it holds zero damn good - 1/2 moa.
    First shot 3" low,made two adjustments.
    [​IMG]

5 shot group
    [​IMG]

12. locutus

Y'all dun gud, Bubba!:D

Txhillbilly likes this.
  13. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Got my Freedom VX 2-7X from Cameraland today.
    Is on my CZ455.
    Hopefully get to range tomorrow before the rain hits.

Txhillbilly and towboater like this.
  14. Txhillbilly

I've never been a big Leupold fan,but some guy's love them. They make some good hunting scopes.

I don't think it'll ever stop raining around here. It's starting to piss me off!

15. Hookeye

I've been shooting Leupold since the late 70's.
    22 of them, w 2 bad brand new (one fixed, one replaced).
    Zero failures afield.
    Yes, the old ones sometimes sucked zeroing in. Tap the turrets.
    Set and forget, they held fine.
    They also looked good on classic rifles.

Not a fan of the big eyepiece Euro stuff.
    Struggling, so I put a 3.5-10X Leupold on my Prohunter or a Meopta 3-9X?

towboater likes this.
  16. Hookeye

Buddy got the Leupold VX6 or whatever it was. Well over a grand.
    That was an impressive scope optics wise.
    Looked through a Steiner a guy had at the range, it was super nice.

I may just go Meopta or Steiner for my Steyr.
    Could go cheap and slap a VX3i on it.

If I get a euro scope it will screw up my OCD and I'll have to replace other scopes LOL

17. Hookeye

Rain looks to be gone here, but breezy. Not a good range day.
    May try to head out in an hr or so. Lesser wind than earlier.

18. Hookeye

I looked at the Camerland Nitros and read on another forum some reviews.
    Looked like a heck of a deal on some nice scopes.........but they didn't have the reticle I like.
    I like the Leupold LRD or Burris Ballistic plex.

Both basic duplex w lines/dots on bottom wire.

Do not like the Leupold rimfire plex on the new scopes, bunches of close together hash marks down lower wire.

So even for my .22 lr, went reg duplex model and will change parallax if I need to.
    Most of my shooting afield is at 4X offhand, and reg big game scopes work well for that.
    Can't crank em to max at the range, even at 50 yards, out of focus past 6X.

But once I find ammo my rifle likes, then it's boring shooting less than 100 yds LOL

19. Hookeye

For local deer hunting I really don't need a scope costing a grand or more.
    If I was gonna go for a big hunt elsewhere, then a grand or so for glass would fit in the plan.

$200-400 for popping backyard bucks is OK with me.

I'd still like a custom Ruger #1A in .35 rem, Leupold 1.5-5X.
    Just for here ;)

20. locutus

Trijicon has a newer line out now, called the VCOG. (Variable power ACOG)

They're a bit pricey, but certainly not unreasonable for what you're getting. $1800-$3100.:)

towboater likes this.