Bought a Colt Diamondback

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by CA357, Jul 12, 2011.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I sort of lost my mind today. I was at the gunsmith's to pick up some ammunition. When I looked in the display case I saw a very clean 2.5" Colt Diamondback. I asked the price, thinking that there's no way I can afford this thing. The price he quoted me almost knocked me over. I immediately put it on 30 day layaway. It was too cheap not to buy it.

I am stoked!

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I just Googled an image of it. NICE, indeed. I can't wait to see pictures of your new gun.

3. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Whoa, a Diamondback!! Way to go! Just don't go on any cruises with her.

4. fireguy

fireguy New Member

That'll look good hanging in your new gun cabinet. Congrats.
    OBTW, did you get permission yet?

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Nice.....I likes me some Colts!

The following are from gunbroker, mouse over the photos and the asking price is in the name. ;)

Attached Files:

6. Ambrola

Ambrola New Member

Looks like an Agent I have. Whats the diff???

7. CA357

I really don't know what the difference would be. However, what I do know is that I once had a blue 6" Colt Trooper Mk II and sold it like a fool. This was an opportunity to pick up another Colt wheel gun at an amazing price, so I jumped on it.

8. CA357

Ambrola, I just googled the Agent. It looks like the Agent is an alloy frame and the Diamondback is steel. I also note that the Agent doesn't have the vent rib barrel whereas the Diamondback does. Does that seem about right?

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Easy way to tell the difference is the vented rib on the Diamondback/Python.

The Colt Agent was a lower-price version of the light weight Cobra.

The Agents were manufactured from 1962 to 1978.

The Diamondback is a scaled down version of the Python.

Diamondbacks were manufactured from 1966 to 1988.

10. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Congrats on the Diamondback! I assume it's in .38 Special? I'd like to have 1 in .22LR in 4".

11. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Congratulations CA!! Have fun with that DB and don't sell it!!

12. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

The best advise I received after I got married: Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. It runs through my head every time I'm in a gun store. :D

13. CA357

I have taken all of your words of wisdom to heart. However, I already told my wife and she's fine with it. :cool:

14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

That size Diamondback is a great find. And if you got a good deal, well that's even better. You'll really enjoy the smooth feel of the Diamondback. I've owned several over the years and they are great little guns. They're like miniature Pythons and I guess that's why I also liked them.

15. CA357

I hate to admit this, but I'm thinking about trading it for a pre-70 series or 70 series Colt Commander.

16. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Some folks just never change! :rolleyes:

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I actually laughed out loud upon reading this post. :D

18. CA357

I'm thinking in terms of a carry gun. The DB is fairly heavy for a short revolver. A commander wouldn't weigh that much more and gives me more firepower.

I don't know what I may do, I won't be picking it up until August sometime. I just figure that for what I paid, it can make great trading material.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  19. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Don't do it! Or at least consider selling it outright to me first!

20. CA357

I've been looking on Gunbroker and Auctionarms and they're a pretty expensive little wheel gun.

I figure that for what I have in it, I can get a lightweight Commander size 1911 (preferably Colt) which I'd prefer to carry and come out ahead cashwise.

I realize that a 2.5" Diamondback is a somewhat scarce animal and it would be neat to hang on to it. However, because of that very thing, I wouldn't want to carry it. God forbid that I ever do become involved in a shooting, it would be confiscated and thrown in a box somewhere. I don't want that to happen on both counts.

So, I'll probably trade it or try and sell it for crazy money on Gunbroker.