Bought a 350 Legend AR-15 Upper

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Oldoutlaw, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Really looking forward to getting this upper in. Along with some ammo and two Mags. The 350 is a long straight cartridge case. Making it legal to hunt deer, etc. in many states that do not allow bottle neck center fire calibers. But the Midwestern States do allow this one.
    https://winchester.com/350-Legend

Federal and Hornady also produce ammo for this new caliber.
    https://www.federalpremium.com/rifle/power-shok/power-shok-rifle/11-350LA.html

So, I ordered this Saturday. BCA complete upper on sale for $249.00.
    [​IMG]

Now, I can start hunting my favorite trophy buck spot and not be limited like with my 12 gauge.
    The 350 seems to have a lot of foot lbs of energy per the Winchester charts above. Ammo is so much cheaper than a 450 or larger. No comparison on cost. I will be using the 180gr soft point ammo for hunting.
    This is not one for just plinking, but for hunting in my state of Iowa.

towboater, Bobbers, owdiss and 6 others like this.
  2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Gonna be awesome.

3. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

4. Oldoutlaw

Glad I got the upper on order this time. They were sold out by 10AM this morning. Seemed like every time I found an upper some where, they sold out before I got around to ordering one. Ammo for the 350 is selling out some places also. Looks like this one will be real popular before long now.

IowaShooter likes this.
  5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Should be fairly easy to roll your own 350 ammo.

6. Oldoutlaw

The brass is a Winchester new design. Starline already is making and selling it. We doubt folks will use these for regular plinking though. The caliber is designed for Midsize Game and SD purposes. Lotta punch behind the various bullet sizes. Appears bullet size is a bit small compared to say a 38spl size. Not certain just yet. Bullets will be coming you can bet on. Ammo sights on the net are selling out of some of the ammo already.

It looks like this 350 is cutting into the 450 Bushmaster market fast. Why not? Cheaper ammo by far and far lower recoil.

Shopfox, BVAL and IowaShooter like this.
  7. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

I think bullets will be an issue for reloaders. Cliff notes version: existing bullets won't work well in the 350 Legend. .358 rifle bullets won't fit, and existing .357 and under are pistol bullets for lower velocities.

This is from Winchester, "
    In regards to 350 Legend bullets, please refer to the attached SAAMI drawing (PDF) attached SAAMI drawing. Common among all modern centerfire projectiles, 350 Legend’s SAAMI bullet diameter includes a tolerance to allow for slight variations in manufacturing. The 350 Legend SAAMI bullet diameter is specified at .357”-.003”. Similar bullet tolerances also exist for 357 Magnum and 357 Maximum.

The 350 Legend also uses the same .346” bore and .355” groove dimensions as 357 Mag and 357 Max. Therefore, bullets exit the muzzle at approximately .355” when fired from any of those three cartridges.

Additionally, some reloaders have asked if they can reload 350 Legend using various component bullets that are already on the market. Reloaders could probably find existing bullets that will work, but they will not be ideal for the 350 Legend cartridge. Many of the existing bullets on the market were designed for terminal expansion at lower velocities, and therefore will not perform properly on game animals at the higher velocities of 350 Legend. Additionally, many existing bullets lack the correct ogive to be seated at a length that will chamber reliably in the 350 Legend. A similar example exists with 30 caliber rifle bullets; there is not a single 30 Caliber bullet that can be loaded perfectly across all 30 caliber cartridges. We don’t use the same bullets for 30-30 Win and .308 Win and 7.62x39mm. When Winchester designed 350 Legend, we engineered all of the bullets from scratch to be optimized for the new cartridge. We are also beginning to deliver those bullets as components."

oO_Rogue_Oo likes this.
  8. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

I've held off on the 450 BM because the only thing it offers over my 444 Marlin is ability to shoot in an AR (which I do like).

I'll eventually get a .350 Legend, I really like the mild recoil, less powder angle, but I'd like to wait and see if anyone comes out with a .358 bore instead of the .357-.003 spec. Kind of like the 6.8 SPC, eventually there was a 6.8 SPCII - same with the Grendel type II bolt.

I want to see some 350 legend bugs worked out before I leap. If I jump early, I might just get a barrel, and put it on a donor upper.

9. Oldoutlaw

This will be my deer gun. So, I won't even bother to reload any of these.

Bobbers, Rifling82 and Shopfox like this.
  10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

11. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I think the 350 in the AR platform would be a a very good LE rifle. :)

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  12. Oldoutlaw

OH YES, it certainly would be. And I kinda figure it will start being used for it before too long.

Rifling82 likes this.
  13. Oldoutlaw

Brown just now dropped off my Bear Creek Arsenal 350 Legend Upper. Will get a picture later.

Rifling82, Shopfox and Gatoragn like this.
  14. Oldoutlaw

Bear Creek did real good! As always, they sent me a beautiful piece. Not a scratch, blemish, nor any color problem. 20190906_135811.jpg
    Brown brought ammo yesterday. This 180 gr will be my hunting round. Shown here with a 223.
    20190906_135307.jpg

Magazines due Monday. Now, gotta decide what I want on it for a scope. Ugh!

15. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Heck Outlaw, Even if there was a scratch would it matter? They're made for battle and hunting

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  16. Oldoutlaw

Well, I got out Friday with the new 350 Legend set up. Bear Creek upper on a complete
    Anderson lower. Went with the A2 stock and buffer. Like it real well. Put a good ole Center Point scope on it. Really happy with this one. I'm thinking this may be my favorite AR-15.

20190929_141423.jpg
    I like the cartridge a lot. Plenty of velocity and more range than I will need for deer hunting here in Iowa. We can only use certain straight wall cartridges. Rifles of this caliber is putting the hurt on the 450 and 458 guns. Simply because this caliber was designed for deer and hogs. Not moose or cape buffalo. Recoil is very mild. Perhaps like a .410 shotgun. Kids can shoot one well.

But also, this caliber does have a bunch of stopping power and energy. This baby will take the place of any of my 5.56 type rifles for home defense. I can see these being an excellent Law Enforcement weapon soon.

ChartsEnergy.jpg
    ChartsPenetration.jpg
    Tried Winchester 145gr FMJ and 180gr Soft Point. Then, what is my decided on hunting round, Federal Non-Typical 180gr rounds. Anyway, ended the day at this target. I was set a bit too high at 50 yards. So, at 100 I was a bit high with first two rounds of 10. Adjusted scope down and fired the last 8 rounds. Only used that bi-pod for any support. Wind was 10 to 20 mph. Swirling in a valley. Never knew what it may do. But these 180"s punched through at 100 yards.

20191019_192657.jpg
    I am nearly 75 now, have emphysema, don't see as well as once upon a time. Soo, I am really happy with that Bear Creek Arsenal upper!!
    Don't care much for the trigger on the Anderson lower. But, it was for my first trial. Now, this upper is going onto an Aero Precision lower I have available. :)
    Don't have any idea of what those last 8 are in MOA. I'm not certain how you measure and determine MOA to tell the truth. But, this is a hunting caliber and not target rifle in any case. All I can say is, if you get a chance to try a 350 Legend rifle, do so.

towboater, owdiss, Mercator and 3 others like this.
  17. BlackGuns4Fun

BlackGuns4Fun Well-Known Member

Good to hear. I've read some less than positive reviews on Bear Creek. It sounds like you have had good luck with them?

towboater likes this.
  18. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks good, but the 30-30 #'s can't be with the modern LeveRevalution ammo! ;)

towboater likes this.
  19. Oldoutlaw

Dunno for sure. But Leverrevolution does not have a 180gr bullet that I ever saw. Nor does Hornady publish it seems the energy at 200 yards. I'll take the 350.

Rifling82 likes this.
  20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks comparable to a 35 Remington but with better bullets. The 35 Rem would have done anything I needed hunting in the lower 48. A gun I should never have sold. The 350 L looks to be an ideal round for out to 200 yards. I never shot an animal past 70 yards.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Oldoutlaw likes this.