bottom eject shotguns

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by buchele1911, May 17, 2012.

1. buchele1911

buchele1911 New Member

Are there any tactical advantages to a bottom eject shotgun? Quite curious!

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You mean besides firing from either shoulder and not getting WHOCKED! with the ejected shell?

3. tCan

tCan Active Member

I shoot lefty and my 870 is for righties. Never happened to me....

But yeah, it keeps the shells from flying everywhere possibly distracting you or hitting a squad mate. Or a fellow hunter.

4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I could care less where one ejects, but I definitely prefer being able to throw one in the port for another shot after it's empty, as opposed to having to run one through the magazine as on a BPS or an Ithaca. I don't much care where a safety is either, but I do care about that loading. I had 3 BPSs and not one ever missed one beat, but I could never warm up to that feature.

5. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

There would be a tactical dis-advantage to the Ithaca as no extended magazine capability

6. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

I'm a lefty and have never been hit by any shell ejecting from a shotgun, pump, or semi, that i've ever shot.

I'd rather have the empty hull fly off to the side than hit the ground under my feet where i may or may not be walking/running/moving.

7. akers06

akers06 New Member

I don't like the bottom ejection because I like being able to load one straight into the chamber plus with the bps I use to have I had a problem of half jacking it and getting it jammed up and it was hard to get unjammed

8. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Pretty hard to half jack a BPS. I have put 2000+ rounds through mine it has never happened. Plus it's been just as hard for me to unjam a side ejector, but those have been auto loaders.

9. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yea I guess it was just the way I was pumping it or something ....I know it wasn't the gun they are great guns...getting my bps unjammed was pretty hard bc it would have one infuriated chamber then one trying to go in the chamber and with an opening in the side of the receiver I couldn't reach in and do anything

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

In all my years as an instructor, 90 percent of the shotgun malfunctions I've seen were people under stress (we made sure threre was stress:D) short stroking the 870s.

That's a human element that can't be overcome by gun design. That's one of many reasons I always recommended ba quality semi-auto.

11. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Ya I know, unjamming any shotgun is a pain. The one time it happened to me was with the Super X stuff I mentioned in an earlier thread. It wouldn't feed so I would have to take the gun apart. Pain in the a$$. Because I am not used to side ejectors, I just take the whole gun apart (very carefully cause there's a live round in it) whenever a jam occurs no matter the shotgun.