BOTB: The Watch/Timepiece

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Benning Boy, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

What watch would you bequeath to your West Point Grad grandson on your deathbed?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, when my dad passed away, I inherited his watch- Everyday stainless steel divers watch. But special meaning to me. On reflection, the next day I gave my oldest son my stainless steel Seiko that I have worn for years. Found out he has put it away, and wears it only for special occasions.

But to answer your question, it would be the plastic cased, olive green, windup, black dialed "Wristwatch, non-maintainable" I was issued when I became a platoon leader. $$$ value low, sentimental value high.

3. kodiak1973

kodiak1973 New Member

I inherited my dad's Bulova watch when he passed away. It has a special wristband he received for working for 20 years for the telephone company. I don't actually wear it because I'm hard on watches, but I plan on passing it along.

4. bkt

bkt New Member

Quartz watches don't interest me but automatics are very cool:

Sport/Chrono: Omega Speedmaster w/ Lemania 5100 movement as issued to Apollo 11 astronauts for use on the moon.

Dress: Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119R

Everyday use: Broadarrow Marathon SAR w/ ETA 2824-A2 mov't

5. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

My Seiko Navigators Chronograph - it's self-winding and my Dad gave it to me for a High School grad gift back in 1975. It still keeps excellent time. I bought my son a Seiko self-winding for HIS graduation, so someday soon he'll have two! The new mechanisms are different however, now they have an inertial drive which generates a current and stores it in a capacitor, as opposed to a strictly mechanical self-wind mechanism.

6. Rentacop

Rentacop Active Member

If price is no object, the Casio Illuminator is my choice. I pay about $20 every few years to replace mine at Walmart.
    I replace the plastic strap with a leather one.
    This watch is LCD digital and can be set for military time. I use the alarm as a back-up alarm clock, cooking timer and reminder to perform tasks at work. The back light is bright enough to use as an emergency flashlight. Day/date/stopwatch- What more could you ask for ?

7. orangello

orangello New Member

I still have the Seiko my parents gave me for graduation, but i don't wear it. When my Dad passes, he knows i want his gigormous stainless, self-winding Seiko from the '60's that a client brought him from Japan when new. I didn't graduate West Point, though, nor do i have any offspring.
    Have you seen the movie Pulp Fiction (similar story, different appearance on the watch)?

8. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I would give my son my dive watch. Bought it when I got my Open Water certification.

[​IMG]

9. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

I will give my oldest my SEIKO divers that I bought in 1976 and wore everyday for the past 32 years until last December when my wife gave me the SEIKO orange monster dive watch I will then give my youngest son the orange monster. Both watches are used for everyday wear and are used for active diving. IMO they are the best watches in the world.

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

11. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

well if he did go to USMA I would give him a mickey mouse wind-up P.O.S. On second thought, I would have to get him a battery powered version since he won't be used to doing ANYTHING for himself as a west point grad.

Now if he takes the high road, upon his commissioning from OCS I would pass on my Seiko dive watch I have had since I was a PL. It is packed with features, all one of them. It shows the time. Imagine that. :D

12. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

the Omega Seamaster that my father received in 1969 when he graduated from HS, and/or the 18K solid gold Omega from my mother...