BOTB: The Pocketknife

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Benning Boy, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Second in the Best of the Best series, what is the ultimate pocketknife?

I think form should meld with function in this case.

Bear in mind, we can no longer operate solely on name recognition in this category, since many classic brands are now outsourced to China for manufacture, and the quality isn't necessarily what it was for Grandpa.

We're not talking about tacticals here, but the knife that opens a letter, peels an orange, strips a wire, sharpens a stick to roast a marshmallow.

What say you, my friends?

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

It has to be an all-in-one quality tool like the gerber or leatherman series with all the trimmings. Not just a knife.

For straight pocketknives, I prefer crkt. They are affordable and quality.

3. kodiak1973

kodiak1973 New Member

+1 for the Gerber! I've got one that was gift from my dad that's over 15 years old and still going strong!

4. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I'm going with a Kershaw Blur Tanto. Comfortable, grippy (even when wet), durable, damn sharp out of the box, assisted opening, 440A Tungsten DLC coated stainless steel, great for every day carry, and best of all - made in the USA.

5. jng2985

jng2985 New Member

I carry a spyderco delica all over the place, I use it so much for random things I feel naked without it..

6. bkt

bkt New Member

A knife isn't a tool; it is a class of tools, much like "gun" or "firearm" is a class of tools. Which is the best firearm? Well, it depends on your application. As such, there is no perfect pocket knife. There are some very good ones, and some really awful ones out there. But which one is right for you depends on what you're doing.

For all-around generic use in many situations, a multitool wins hands down. SOG, Gerber or even Leatherman (*spit*) work fine. Pliers, screwdrivers, bottle openers, saw, file, blade, etc. It isn't sexy, but it is functional.

My EDC at the moment is a CRKT My Tighe. All of my EDCs are single-blade knives that can be opened very easily, very quickly, with one hand. Generally, I shy away from serrations because they're a pain to sharpen. I never use a bead-blasted blade because that just impedes cutting. A drop point and a recurve blade gets you a little more cutting surface area. That's what I like. YMMV.

7. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

A real sharp one with a good blade.

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I find myself using my small Swiss for lots of things around the house. There are cheap versions, but the ones still made by Victorinox are great little pocket knives. Don't forget about the toothpick and tweezers. :)

9. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Amen.

I keep buying bottles of wine, but forget to get a wine bottle opener. Good thing I have a SAK.:cool:

10. WDB

WDB New Member

Hen & Rooster three blade pocket knife. A blade for most needs, quality built and they hold an edge.

11. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I'm a knife knut, I admit it. I carry all sorts of sharp toys everyday and have a whole 3 x 4 mts. room dedicated to my collection.

I think there's no such thing as the "ideal" knife, there might be a knife that's better suited for a particular task, and there are even some that are quite decent for a few different things. Price is also a factor. Is a $1000 custom ten times better than a $100 production knife?

Swiss army knives are a good basic pocket knife, a sort of jack of all trades. They are affordable, the extra tools always come in handy and the spear point blades are quite useful. They come in a variety of sizes, with and without locks. They definitely aren't self defense knives and the blade steel is far from being premium, but it's easy to sharpen. No matter what else I'm carrying, I've got a SAK on me (usually a Vic. Huntsman, which I feel is a good compromise between tools and size).

Traditional carbon steel slipjoints are my favourite for almost all chores. There are lots of different patterns to choose from, from tiny peanuts to hefty folding hunters. I love the way the blades darken with use, and the feel of wood or bone handles. The ones with several blades are quite handy, like the stockman pattern (I use the sheepfoot blade for most things, the clip for food and keep the spey a bit dull to scrape my pipe bowl). Some people are put off by the lack of a locking mechanism, but I've never needed one in my working knives.

I do enjoy modern one hand opening folders with locking blades. They might not be as aesthetically appealing (to me) as a pocket worn slippie, but they are very convenient. Brands like Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw, etc. offer really good knives with excellent blade material and sturdy locks. I don't care for serrated edges or overly thick blades which so many "tactical" folding knives seem to sport. For around $100 there are lots of good options.

There are just too many different types of knives and they are all good for something. I like to switch my daily carry according to my mood, sometimes I feel like carrying an old beat up Opinel (wonderful slicer), or something small and light like a Fallkniven U1. Fixed blade pocket knives shouln't be overlooked either, lots of good ones out there.

Anyway, the idea behind all this senseless rambling is that I can't choose a single favourite knife. :)

12. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Timeless, simple, classy, legal everywhere except the U.K., in a variety of handle materials, and loaded with Old World charm, the Opinel.

Attached Files:

13. jeffware

jeffware New Member

pocetknife

i have both a leatherman and a sog multitool that are nice. both were military issue to me. another favorite is my mil issue MC-1 camillis. this was only issued to people with a mil parachute. camillus went out of business in 2007. i do not know why they issued so many knives to me. i also like a BIG swiss army knife (not mil issue) for survival. one with features like a magnifying glass (plastic), wood saw, pliers, etc. items only found in the big ones. for an everyday light pocket knife i like my imperial (ireland) ss and composite. jeff.

14. 1984cj

1984cj New Member

The pocket knife of cowboys and grandfathers.

A Treebrand Barlow.

15. quelebu

quelebu New Member

In the UK you have to spread your butter with a fork or a spoon, anything else is against the law - the ultimate "nanny state" - that's why I left!

I second the Opinel, a classic.

16. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

The Victorinox Swiss Army model " Explorer " was my constant companion for over 30 years. I used it as a pry bar, scraper, paper weight, door stop, jumper wire, hammer, puller-you name it. I even used it for its intended purposes too. Without a Swiss knife, I lose all my magical powers and revert to a mere mortal. Insist on Victorinox.

17. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

+1000.... I have a Victorinox Workchamp (full-size locking blade) since always... I feel that I'm naked without it.

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Victorinox super tinker FTFW.

Nothing can beat them even them over marketed AP tools that when you go go use them the pliers break in half and you get told to go pound sand when you try to get the company to replace them.

Victorinox Swiss Army - MultiTools - Super Tinker

19. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I don't know about best or not, but I carry a Kershaw Leek (assisted opening plain edge) all the time as a pocket knife.

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I ahve been lusting for that knife for a while. I like the stright edge.

I think though I am going to pick me up and edge pro sharpener here soon. I dunno between my ADD and everything that strikes my fancy, college, kids, bills I never know what I am in the mood for.