Boston Bombers Shootout - Would you take the shot?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by BPNovum, Apr 27, 2013.

1. BPNovum

BPNovum New Member

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

nope. taking a shot like that as a civilian would probably end up getting you arrested for murder no matter the crimes he may have committed.

makes for a good movie plot though.

3. kaido

kaido New Member

In all honesty, I'd like to say "of course I would shoot at the suspects, you'd have to be stupid not to", but I can't. As much as I'd want to try and help out, I'd of thought about it and feel like I'd get in way more trouble then it'd be worth.

Since I only one two centre fires, one is an SKS and the other is a 770 in .243, neither one would be deemed "reasonable" to use by those who don't believe in guns. The 770 would get me I trouble because its a hunting rifle thus shouldn't be used for anything else. The SKS, though built for war, would be yet again some how deemed to much for a two legged target.

There's also the fact that the Canadian government doesn't really seem to like when people defend them selfs very much. In other words, if the media didn't make me look like some crazed nut job just waiting for a chance to shoot at someone, the government would still get me.

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

In Boston, that's probably exactly what would happen. Here in Texas, well, remember the UT Tower shooting?

I could see the police here appreciating some help IF they do not have control of the situation themselves, or are in very immanent danger.

This is a PERFECT example. The police were in trouble, and a civilian took action that saved lives.

http://deadlinelive.info/2012/08/07...es-cop-by-making-150-yard-shot-with-a-pistol/

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  5. kaido

kaido New Member

Part of that storey has me confused. The shooter had an AR-15 (least that's what I got), the officer also has an AR-15.....but some how the cop was out gunned? To me that seems like an equal match up as far as rifles go.
    Not saying any thing negative at all, just curious as to wether anyone else got that from reading the article.

6. Donn

Donn Active Member

The police wouldn't know yours was friendly fire, they'd likely open up on your position too. Unless the perps had a gun to the head of a LEO or citizen and intended to shoot, I stay right out of it.

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I would stay out of it unless they came into my house. If they see I am in the gun fight, they would realize the home owner is armed. If I engaged outside of the house, the cops would not know who I am our my motives.

8. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

innocent until proven guilty my friend.
    unless you were threatened with no escape, no.
    and besides, its boston. guns arent allowed in boston! youd go to jail.

9. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Not sure what the shooter had. If it was an AR, then the officer was not out gunned. The shooter did have an advantage over the officer due to their positions though.

10. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

I don't know anything about Boston, but if that was happening in front of me here in Alberta, the terrorist/shooter is going in the ground. I believe in community policing.....we are all on the same team. At that range, I can put a bullet into his ear 10 times out of 10. We'll sort out the legal stuff later. Besides the obvious reasons, I have the rest of my life where I'd like to be able to sleep at night.

I'd trust the cops to have 1/2 a brain.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  11. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Only if I needed to stop an aggressive threat toward my family or myself. The police are there to enforce the law not protect me and mine unless while enforcing the law they happen to protect me.

I firmly hope to never to be that position that I have to stop someone to protect myself or anyone from bodily harm.

12. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

No. If the Boston PD wants us to be defenseless and reliant on government, then let them sort their own problems out.

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

must just be the marine in me... if i was in that place, i would already be armed for threat of the BG breaking in.. so that would save me time in running to fetch a firearm... when i heard gunshots and looked out the window to see police cars with there lights and probly a siren or too plus the gunfire... if given the shot oportunity that is shown in the picture and i was sure they were BG's.. i'm putting them down...i already have a bad dream once in awhile... so whats another??

14. Axxe55

IMO, involving yourself in an active police investigation like this supposed scenario would be a legal nightmare for you. i see a lot of downside and not a lot of upside to this situation.

my suggestion. best keep our noses out of things that don't concern us.

also IMO, the OP's scenario leaves too much open to doubt. are you absolutely sure the person you have a bead on and are fixing to pull the trigger on is guilty? i mean 100% sure with no doubt?

what if you miss and accidently hit an innocent bystander or a LEO? think they will give you a pass because you had good intentions? what if you fired and missed and the LEO's thought you were another suspect helping the one they are trying to catch?

lot's of things that could go wrong could end badly for someone.

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Too many variables to make the decision unless you were actually there.

If the shot was safe to take, and could be made without causing the police to think you were a third suspect, then yes.

But this is not a good "what if" question.

16. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

When the article asked the question it states that you can clearly see that they are shooting at the police. It also states that you can see you have a clean shot that does not endager anyone else. In Colorado you can use deadly force in defense of another. With these circumstances I can say without a doubt, I would take the shot.

17. Axxe55

under the conditions of certain states gun laws, i could give this consideration.

not saying my mind has changed from my original point of view, but this is something i would have to give some thought about.

18. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

This is one of those "what if" games that have no bearing on reality. We are all sitting here, relaxed, pecking away at our keyboards. You can not know what your reaction will be in that situation. There are too many variables in the real world to make this a cut and dried situation.

Do you have family in the house?
    By the time you retrieve the gun of choice and load it, what has changed?
    Do you use your pre-loaded SD pistol and end up just drawing fire?
    Have you actually drilled for this scenario?

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The more I think about this the more sure I am. I carry a gun for one reason. It is not so I can feel like a badA$$. It is not to inflate my ego or make me feel important. I carry in case I am able to save a life. Be it mine or someone elses. If I saw someone trying to kill another person, and I was sure beyond a doubt who was the bad guy and who was the good guy...I would take the shot.

I did not join the Army to be a tough guy. I wanted to serve my country and make a difference in the world. I would be a policeman today. But my wife would not be able to deal with it. We have had the discussion many times.

I could not imagine standing by and watching someone shoot at a policeman and not doing something.

If I could have saved someone's life, but chose not to, and they died...that would be tough to live with.

20. vincent

vincent New Member

Given those conditions I'd take the shot. NC has a similar law 'in defense of another'...What would give me pause is the draconian, muddled MA gun laws.

"A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it..."