BOSS muzzle brake

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by jittychitty, Mar 27, 2014.

1. jittychitty

jittychitty New Member

Does anyone have an idea where to purchase a Browning BOSS brake setup? Any experience with them and their performance? I have a customer who'd like me to find and install on his X-bolt.
    Thanks, Curtis - High Energy Arms.

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The Browning BOSS system is not a muzzle brake. It is a way to tune your barrel to control barrel harmonics. I would call Browning to buy the BOSS system if you cannot find it at midway/Brownells/Numrich. I really doubt you will find a used BOSS system but stranger things have happened.

3. natman

natman Member

The link is not for an entire BOSS system. On the factory BOSS system the weight is drilled to act as a muzzle brake. The link is just for the weight section without the holes, so you still get the tuning effect of BOSS without the earsplitting noise of a muzzle brake. The trade off is that you don't get the recoil reduction of a muzzle brake either, so they call it CR, for Conventional Recoil.

Do a search for "barrel tuner", there are several systems available that do the same thing as the BOSS.

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

They are sweet. .300 win mag scary accurate.

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Not mine by the way. Dad's.

6. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

The BOSS is a harmonic tuner that will adjust to a particular load, bullet weight and velocity of any given ammo. If you take it apart, you will find a delrin wedge sitting in a machined groove in the barrel. The device "torques" against this wedge with a lock ring to adjust barrel harmonics. It is not a brake in the true sense. I had a 7mm mag Browning A-bolt that had this gimmick on it....waste of money IMO

Also, if you shoot in the prone or over a truck hood, be ready for a dirt bath and singed paint.

7. natman

natman Member

Could you explain how the muzzle brake version of BOSS differs from a "true" brake?

8. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

The BOSS does not vector high pressure gas to assist in felt recoil. It only bleeds gas from holes around its circumference.

9. natman

natman Member

OK, I see the distinction, but the gas that gets bled off sideways doesn't go out the muzzle, where it would push the rifle backwards. It's a design decision, by having the ports go straight out the noise directed at the shooter is probably somewhat less than it would be if the gasses were directed backwards. I suspect that noise is quite adequate as it is.