Boresnakes

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by zackthatsit, Jun 3, 2013.

1. zackthatsit

zackthatsit New Member

So I've heard all the hype about them so I went to get one for my .22 rifle and when I went to pull it through the very beginning part the actually cleans (before the wire) was just a little too big to where it was impossible to pull through and yes It was a .22 snake haha. Has anyone else had this problem or was it just a bad one

2. TheoShooter

TheoShooter New Member

They are very snug. Just drop the weight through the barrel and then tug it through. Never have seen one not work. They are pretty good for a quick cleaning.

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

They are supposed to be pretty snug, but I've never had one that didn't go through.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Yea I have to pull hard on my 22 one. The pistols are not so difficult. But the rifle is much longer so more resistance.

5. HankStone

HankStone New Member

Cleaning a 22 barrel is fruitless the barrel is coated with lead and never needs cleaning,it will never rust because of the lead coating,22 bullets are made out of lead not,and the powder and primer are non corrosive correct,so why waste your time,just wipe it down with a slightly oiled rag,for semi autos the action must be cleaned periodically or the third round will stovepipe,all the time!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  6. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

When the lands and groves get full . It will act like a smooth bore . My groups tighten up after I pull a bore snake through it .
    But thats just my observation .

7. HankStone

HankStone New Member

Point taken,we all treat our girls differently so be it.,

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

All brushes are slightly oversized to make them contact the bore well.

If you notice, even with regular brushes and rods, the smaller diameter bores are very often much more difficult to pass through than the larger diameter.

This is because the bristles are shorter and don't flex as easily.

9. HankStone

HankStone New Member

"In my thinking"Once we score/scar the lead coating of a rim fire 22 barrel,with a bronze brush,it takes many-many rounds to bring her back to point of aim accuracy."Just only from my experience so please don't shoot me guys".OK?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  10. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

Sorry didnt meen to flame u . U need to shoot in the barrel even with a change of amunition . Each type of 22 lr has their own type of coating on it . When changing amo u need to fire 10-20 rounds through it to start seeing the acuracy of the round

11. HankStone

HankStone New Member

Fisherking,The only 22 ammo I shoot is Federal 36gr hollow point,my girls digest them well so I stick with Federal,but your correct once we change ammo brands,it takes a hell of a lot of shooting the new ammo,to achieve satisfactory accuracy!

12. madcat74

madcat74 New Member

i bought a .22 calliber boresnake and tried to pull it through to no avail. then my wonder wife walked over looked it over grab the boresnake at each end of the cleaning section and pulled it apart hard. we tried it through the rifle again and...... WOW..... not a problem. just thought i might share this to help out outhers that might have that problem.

:) keep it on the bullseye!!

13. armysharpshooter

armysharpshooter New Member

Don't ya just hate it when they're right. Dammit they're right all the time too... LOL

14. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You sound like a lot of fun. Welcome to our forum. :)

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

let me tell you... you havent had fun till you break the string on a bore snake lol.

16. sunsoutgunsout

sunsoutgunsout New Member

Never used a bore snake before, but I'm getting so cleaning supplies after work so i might have to pick one up. So do they make that much of a difference when cleaning lands and grooves compared to the regular cleaning rod?

17. trauma35

trauma35 New Member

All I use for my 5.56 AR. A little CLP soak and two-four passes with a bore snake and its mirror shinny again. Much easier to store, and don't have to change out the brushes as with a rod from brass-nylon bristles-cotton-patches. But to each his own.

18. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Drop weight through barrel, then step on weight with foot. Grasp rifle with both hands , Use legs and shoulders to pull rifle up to get the snake started. Snaking will get easier as time goes on.

To add. I also trail a patch treated with Miltec1 or Eesox. AFAIC It makes for an easier cleaning next go round.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  19. drew661

drew661 New Member

I never thought about it, what in the world do you do if you break a boresnake in the barrel?!?

20. DickTheNickhead

DickTheNickhead New Member

I couldn't fine a .223 bore snake for my AR.

Will a .22 bored snake be sufficient or should I find a 5.56/.223 snake?