Boresnake

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by zackthatsit, Jun 3, 2013.

1. zackthatsit

zackthatsit New Member

So I've heard all the hype about them so I went to get one for my .22 rifle and when I went to pull it through the very beginning part the actually cleans (before the wire) was just a little too big to where it was impossible to pull through and yes It was a .22 snake haha. Has anyone else had this problem or was it just a bad one

2. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

I made a profile just to reply because I had this problem too. I have to wrap the weighted string around my hand a few times to get it to pull through. I've used it a lot and and it's gotten a little easier but it's still a bit tight. I'm not sure of its supposed to be that way in order to get all the crap in your barrel or what. It's a pain but it gets it works.

3. zackthatsit

zackthatsit New Member

I though about cutting a small price of it off but than ran the risk of it tearing

4. nicklarimore

nicklarimore New Member

I have one for my 12 ga and love it. It is difficult though. One thing I'm not sure if it is a .22 rifle or pistol but I do not use them on my rifles; only my shotguns and pistols. I clean my rifles the old fashioned way. ddc4d

5. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

I think you'd be hard pressed to tear it. I also forgot to mention I have two .22lr boresnakes and they're both tough to get through. Have you used it on more than one .22? I run it through my m&p. 15-22 and for some reason it's a tighter fit than my sig 1911-22.

6. zackthatsit

zackthatsit New Member

I've only used it on my henry lever and then returned it after but now I'm wanting to give I another try and it would be mainly use for my 15-22

7. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

Yeah it's weird. When I first got mine I had to double check the box to make sure i got the right one. Like I said, it's a pretty tight fit on the 15-22, but it sure beats using a hundred patches to get your barrel clean. Just pull hard. Lol. I've yet to even come close to breaking mine. They're pretty stretchy.

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have one in 45 and 12 ga. They are a little stiff in the beginning but calm down.

9. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

The whole idea is to be a tight fit. Once it begins to loosen, time to replace it.

10. Donn

Donn Active Member

They work OK, but I find I still have to hit the bore with a brush and solvent.

11. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

I got two of them. One for my 9mm and 380. Then one for my 22 rifles and handgun. Love them both.

12. hmh

hmh New Member

Make sure it is not catching on anything.

13. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Make sure it NEVER gets hung/snagged on the extractor. I learned this one the hard way and had bunch (5-10/25rd mag.) of failure to extracts. Once I finally got it back in place, I've been good to go - no FTEs. :)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  14. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

I should have mentioned that. It's never happened to me but I've read about that being an issue.

15. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Worst thing ever invented for cleaning the barrel. 99% of people never wash them, they just keep using a dirty tool to clean with. I do have a few, but they are cleaned yearly in a washing machine whether used or not. They go in my pack when hunting for emergencies only.

16. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have one for every caliber I own.

I know a dude that pulled a 30 cal snake through .280 barrel. He said it was tight, but he got R did. :eek:

17. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Get a good cleaning kit!
    If one of them ever comes apart in the bore you will understand quickly!
    And if they are not cleaned completely they are just dragging grit through a good bore!
    Not for me anymore! Just a good coated ball bearing cleaning rod, clean patches, solvent and lube!
    If you like the pull through type get an Otis Kit.

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The bore snake is not a great idea for the 22 or any small bore rifle. The nylon rope will actually cut steel. It's difficult to use as bore guide on a small bore. I would just stick to the plain old aluminum cleaning rod for the small bores. At least the barrel is harder than aluminum.