Boresight

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Boyerracing343, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I am looking into getting a boresight for my .243 and 30-06. Any recommendations on what to look for and what to stay away from? Thanks

2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

We've got a green laser that fits into the end of the barrel. It has a bushing that you change depending on the caliber of weapon you are using it in. Having the laser green makes it easy when sighting a "red-dot" or other red-reticled sight. The big plus is that you can use it in almost all calibers.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

It is pretty simple. If your gun is a bolt action, remove the bolt. Look down the bore and line it up w/ your target at 100 yards. Next zero scope on the target center, double check allignment. Your boresighted! I also have a bushnell standard boresighter. Works great if the centerline of the scope is between 1.5 to 2.5" above the centerline of the bore.

4. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I was looking at one like that. It appears it would be nice so we could bore sight our rifles and shot guns as well all with the same bore sight.

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I agree with JPatt, as usual. I bought a laser boresighter and the only time I've used it is to sight in my AR. The old school method he described works just fine for bolt guns.

6. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I've got a boresighting laser from LaserLyte and the plastic bushings got stripped out from repeated use. I'm switching to the cartidge style boresighters soon since this one is just a glorified laser pointer now. I'm not saying it doesnt work for the first few times but I just wish the bushings had metal thread inserts so it'd last longer.

7. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I have very good results doing it JP's way, actually better than any bore sighter I've ever used.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I have a real aversion to stuffing things down my SS match barrels. So I just use the old look through the barrel look through the scope method. Just never ever ever forget that you stuffed that laser in the barrel of your rifle or else you end up with a nice fancy $800 rifle with a mushroomed barrel and a good $2k for the ER visit.

9. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

I have a laser boresighter that works pretty good. At least it will get you
    on the paper. I don't have any of the cartridge type boresighters, but
    if I did I don't think I would forget I chambered it. :confused:

10. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I've been within 3" of dead center @ 100 yds several times, I set the scope at 2 MOA above POA. With JP's method