Boresight 'fail'

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by zhuk, Oct 21, 2010.

1. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Got this in an email, would more accurately be described as "brain fail' though...

Sighting-in your expensive new deer rifle:

1. Shiny new, high-powered deer rifle .......... $1,200.00

2. Quality, high-powered scope ...................... $ 550.00

3. Bore sighting device ..................................... $ 140.00

4. Forgetting to remove the bore sighting device prior to actually shooting the darn thing?... Priceless!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. zhuk

zhuk New Member

[​IMG]

5. Hospital Visit ........................................... $14,893.00

ouch!

3. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

I use the in chamber type laser bore sighter, so it would be hard to fire it with the bore sighter in the chamber.
    My first gun I used a laser pointer & masking tape to hold it in the chamber.
    It worked, when I got to the range I was on the paper at 100yds, just needed a little adj. to make it dead on.

4. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I have the same bore sighter except with the longer tang that goes into the barrel to accomodate flash hiders of some older rifles I have. I dont use it much anymore, except to shine the laser dot around on the floor for the cat to chase, and it always has stayed on the work bench when not in use.

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

When I bother to use the boresighter, I do it at home.

Usually, I just start at 50 yards and get on paper. Easy to adjust from there in about 5 shots.

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I do the same, but I am lucky enough to have room indoors to laser bore sight at around 50 yards. Easy adjust for elevaton prior to first shot at about 100 yds. Plus, on a bright day, that dot is hard to see even with a good scope.

Good reminder, though to check your bore before putting one in the chamber.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

My boresighter is the old school style with the gizmo you look through that has the grid. Outers, maybe?

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Ahh, mine is one I got on sale at Cabela's. One with the attachments for from .17 to .50 and a tapered slide. In the muzzle. I used it last for a friend's .300 Win Mag. Roughly sighted indoors at about 50 yards and then took it to my home range. Easy adjustments to about 100 yards to where my target was. Two people, two shots each grouped amazingly close considering one lefty shooter and one righty. Then it started to rain. Then we made adjustments for 200 yards. He took it to a range near him, and he said it was dead on at 200. I told him to make the adjustments for 400 yards and try again. No word on that one yet. :)

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Mine has all the arbors from .17 to .50, too. I've had it for at least 20 years.

10. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Fixed it for you. :p

Mines a Redfield.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Thanks!!! I'll dig mine out to see who made it. I think it is an Outers, though.

12. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Wow, an impressive amount of damage.