Firearms Talk banner

Bored so I made a tiny cannon

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  hiwall 
#1 ·
Had nothing to do today (like everyday) so I went out to the shop to find a project. Found some aluminum channel and a brass rod. About an hour later I had a .25 caliber mini cannon. I haven't shot it yet but I fully plan on doing so. Here are some pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
In 1949, while teaching at West Point, my Dad made a cannon from Bronze stock, turned it on a lathe, and mounted it to a walnut frame that basically resembled a ship-borne cannon - complete with elevation control. The back (breech) screwed in in order to load a round and had a spring-loaded firing pin. It was .22LR. He fired it about 3-4 times to make sure it worked (it did). I remember that "cannon" growing up - it was always on a fireplace mantle or somewhere else in prominent view. It was a wonderful piece of workmanship, about 10" long. My brother has it now...

My hat is off to you, hiwall! And thank you for resurrecting fond memories.

#6 ·
Very cool.

I definitely want to see some pictures of what kind of chaos you cause with this.

#9 ·
If you can make these as an unfinished kit, I'd definitely be in for a couple.:D

These are so cool.

#13 ·
I had started a golf ball cannon quite awhile back. I had the exterior of the barrel contoured and was boring it out when the motor on my lathe died. I replaced the motor but never did get back to that cannon though. Maybe soon?
Cannons are great fun to make and to shoot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.