Bore snake vs. rod and tips

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by lonyaeger, Oct 15, 2009.

1. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I have a Bore Snake that I used to use years ago for pistols with lesser than match-grade barrels and it seemed to work just fine.

Now that I am in a position to have acquired better pistols, I've gone back to the more traditional method of cleaning barrels with rods and tips, brushes, mops, and patches.

But the Bore Snake is much easier and more convenient. Do any of you have an opinion on whether or not a Bore Snake does a good job of cleaning higher-end barrels?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I like Boresnakes, but I only use them at the range for a quick wipe out. I especially like them for that purpose and it helps reduce fouling. But for actual cleaning, I still use a rod, patches, brushes etc.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I find cleaning my guns a relaxing experience so I do it the old fashioned way...

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Yeah, I do too, but I'm living right now in a really small house (free, no mortgage or rent :) ), so I don't have a place in my garage or a third bedroom. I'm thinking Boresnake only for the convenience factor, but not at the risk of cutting corners with my good firearms.

Plus, I go pretty heavy on the solvent.....drives the wife nuts!

5. Butter

Butter New Member

Same here. Like 'em both, but generally use a bore snake for quick clean-ups at the range. Though they do a really good job. For real cleaning I usually use an Otis kit since I like the flexible wire they use as the brush/wipe holders. And then I have an assortment of wooden BBQ skewers and old toothbrushes that I go to as my cleaning and scraping accessories to my standard kit.

6. OC357

OC357 New Member

I use rods, tips, brushes, etc.

I do have a bore snake but havn't used it in a long time.

OC

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I like to spend time disassembling and cleaning my guns as well, it is relaxing to me too. I don't mind using the ol' patches and rods.

I did see a tip about using tampons for bore cleaning shotguns. :)

8. 1911 Fan

1911 Fan New Member

Tampons work well. I use the "junior" size for my .410 and "magnums" for my 12-gauge.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Not one of you putzs mentioned the best cleaning tool, the jag. If I don't run a jag until the patch runs white, my gun is not clean.

10. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

OT, but I can never get the right size patches to work on any of the jags I've bought. Usually too tight Cant get it pushed through the bore.
    Ive bought the specific caliber sized patches. Maybe Im doing something wrong??
    [​IMG]

11. 1911 Fan

1911 Fan New Member

Yeah, but sometimes the jag and the patch get caught in the barrel and I can't get the jag off.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I use nothing but a jag to clean my 45acp. I may run a brush in it a few times. But the majority of the cleaning gets done with foaming bore snake.

Spending money on a bore snake is like pissing in the wind you can do it but it don't work real well....