Firearms Talk banner

Bore sighter

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  treehugger49 
#1 ·
Hey mods if this in the wrong section please move it. I have been wanting to get a boresighter for a while but don't know if laser is Better than the one with the grid that goes on the end. I want to keep it within a reasonable price range...something under 50 bucks. Anything at all from you guys is good to know. Also I want to have a universal one.

#10 ·
Lazers work well in most cases to the 25 yard target. The point of the lazer dot or grid is to "Get it on the Paper". The Grid type has the advantage of allowing the cross wires to be aligned to a horizon. When shooting over longer angles of range the "Canting" of cross wires can cost you hits.:eek:

#12 ·
The grid-type unit to which you refer is called a collimator. They are relatively inexpensive, and there is an advantage to them I prefer: once zeroed, you can see where your crosshairs fall on the grid pattern, and after travelling to your hunting destination, you can verify your scope's accuracy by reinserting the collimator and seeing that the crosshair position hasn't changed.

Both types of boresighters are designed only to get you on paper. There is no substitute for going to the range and actually putting lead downrange and adjusting your scope to where your rounds are actually hitting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.