Bore brush?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by bigbucks, Mar 22, 2012.

1. bigbucks

bigbucks New Member

What size copper bore brush would i need for my sks? 7.62x39?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

3. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Member

Any brush for .30cal, .30-06, .30-30, .303 brit, .308/7.62x51, will work.
    I have switched to the bore snake, I got tired of messing with the cleaning rods.

4. Carnivore301

Carnivore301 New Member

Any 30 caliber bore brush will do fine. Me personally, I prefer to use a brush that's slightly larger, like an 8mm brush. Mainly because over time the brushes tend to compact themselves until they no longer clean the whole diameter of the bore. But either one will work.

5. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

Actual bullet is a .310

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I tend to use bore swabs more, but any 7.62(30 cal) will do. Once the

brushes compact themselves, I put a cloth patch on the brush for

a couple passes after swabbing...

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Important note- push brush ALL the way thru. Do not reverse direction inside narrel. Scews up brush.

Consider nylon- does good job, does NOT react with the copper removing part of the solvent, last longer than wire brush, kinder to the bore plating, can be used for emergency toothbrush.

8. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

When I use a copper barrel brush, I go one way down the barrel and then I unscrew it and pull the rod out. However I've also used soft nylon toothbrushes to scrub (back and forth) the barrel's entrance, would you say this damages a stainless steel barrel?

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

AMEN.

I push the brush all the way out of the bore, then pull it back all the way out again. I also use nylon.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

When I use a copper barrel brush, I go one way down the barrel and then I unscrew it and pull the rod out. Good way to do itHowever I've also used soft nylon toothbrushes to scrub (back and forth) the barrel's entrance, would you say this damages a stainless steel barrel? Nah. Pumping a brass brush back and forth INSIDE the bore ruins the brush. Toothbrush will not hurt your bore. Many ARs, SKSs, and AKs are chromed bore- and although VERY hard, you CAN scuff it up with a METALLIC brush that is misused. That's why I suggested nylon bore brush. Although if you grab the WRONG toothbrush, your wife may want to know why her brush tastes like Hoppes and CLP.

11. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

The worst part is that I'm using Froglube so she might never know why her toothpaste tasted extra minty :)