Boomerangs

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Shihan, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a few Rabbits that hang out in the yard and shooting them with the rifle wouldn't be any fun. So, I was thinking about giving a go at a Boomerang.

I know we have some Aussies on here, which would be best a Non-Returning or a Returning Boomerang for hunting Rabbits.

How much practice will one need to become proficient enough to kill a Rabbit?

2. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Not Aussie, but check this one out.

Boomerang

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Good luck man! In the days when i was more into disc golf, i tried some boomerangs. The old nerf tri-arm style was the most reliable flyer. The omega-shaped wooden models were very challenging to get an accurate return from. The classic wooden banana-shaped models that i tried were too lite-weight to do any damage to anything bigger than a songbird.

4. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

The one in Road Warrior looked pretty deadly!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co8vGjEz-xU&feature=related]‪Hilarious Boomerang Death in Mad Max 2‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

5. Car54

Car54 New Member

Receiving one as a gift, I tried throwing it when I was in my teens. A wasted effort on my part. Come to think about it I have no idea what ever happened to it.

6. Wambli

Wambli Member

How about a good slingshot? They are very accurate and a lot of fun.

7. USMCjtm

USMCjtm New Member

Not an Aussie, but I've messed around with boomerangs a bit.
    For hunting purposes you would want a throwing stick, a non-returning boomerang. Cold Steel's Spring Catalog has one for under $30.00.
    Contrary to popular belief, the throwing stick is not limited to the Outback. They have been in use around the world for eons.
    The hardest part is throwing accurately, but like anything else, if you practice accuracy should come fairly quickly.
    Hope this helps..........

Semper Fi

8. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

In the same line...have you considered bow and arrow?

9. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Never could figure them out. I can really relate to this old song. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_prtbj4MtDU]‪My Boomerang Won't Come Back - Charlie Drake‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

10. orangello

orangello New Member

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Shihan, if you can kill a rabbit with a boomerang and prove it with a video, I'll pay for you to take all your family out for dinner.

12. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Into The Wind is the best company as far as any toy that flies. I have a bunch of their stuff including a boomerang. I have the Dingo Donger and with a little practice I was pretty accurate with it. Let me tell you, it looks like a toy, but its no joke - it'll break your hand if you catch it wrong. Just thought I'd throw some ideas out to practice without breaking the bank.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

When I was a youngster, we had tobacco sticks- a triangular cross section stick split from a larger bit of hickory, about 2.5 ft long, 1 inch across, used to hang a "hand" of tobacco in a curing barn. When it was time to cut wheat, we would trot beside the combine, and when rabbits made a break for it, take them out with a stick. Things threw end on like a dart.

14. freefall

freefall New Member

Ever see "The Missouri Breaks"? Brando uses a thing to kill a rabbit, can't remember if it has four and six points, looks like 2 or 3 log spikes sharpened on both ends and lashed together. Guess I'll have to watch it again.

15. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

My boomerang never came back.