BondArms derringers?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Trad1, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Trad1

Trad1 New Member

Anybody carry one of these fine weapons?I carry the Century 2000 in 45 colt only barrel.If so which one and what ammo for SD?I use Winchester silvertip ammo for mine.

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a friend that carries one in 45 Colt/.410 Shotgun. I think he only uses 45 Colt with his though. I am not impressed with the accuracy of the .410 out of a pistol. I have only seen videos. But they have all shown a huge spread at like 10 yards. Big enough to be shooting innocents off to the side or behind. The 45 Colt on the other hand is a formidable round for self defense.

I personally do not carry anything with less than 5 rounds in it.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

A friend has one of the 45/410 ones. After he bought it we took it out and shot it some one afternoon and that was many years ago and to my knowledge he has not shot it since. In my opinion derringers are pretty worthless (yes I have a couple).

4. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

IMO not a good SD weapon at all. Yes, I have a few.

5. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

I do not own a Derringer....yet. I think they are a neat type of gun...not that I want to rely on only 2 shots for self-defense. But keeping in mind that 90% of the time, when a gun is drawn it's enough to convince the bad guy to leave, it just may have some worth in the self-defense area. But a .45 or.410 will surely hurt to fire and will keep you from practicing...something I believe everyone MUST do with their carry gun. Maybe I'd carry a .22mag or a .32......something I could practice with without too much discomfort. I imagine looking down the bore of a .45 derringer would be frightening though ....especially in such a tiny gun.

6. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I really want to get one at some point. It seems like a good back up CC and a good "snake slayer :p."

7. LeadSlanger

LeadSlanger New Member

I see them as a novelty gun. Derringers are a poor choice for a carry piece IMO.

8. Trad1

Trad1 New Member

Sure don,t need 5rds of 45 colt to put the BG down.Its a close range weapon and that's what I choose.5 yards or less.

9. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

Unlike a semi-auto, a derringer won't jam on the 14Th shot :p

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

They don't jam they just stop working at all. Tiny parts hard recoil breakage.

Out of a super short barrel like a derringer there isn't much energy. I would pick a pocket 380 over a 45-70 derringer...

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Take a target out to, oh let's say 15 yards.

Get your adrenalin working and run 1/4 mile.

Now, being hyped, come back to the range and do a fast draw and fire on the target.

If you can get both rounds in the center, then what are you going to do with the other bad guy?

A derringer is maybe okay as backup, but not as primary SD.

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I agree 100%. The derringer is a gun for brawlers and card sharks. One can deploy a small semi auto just as quickly and the semi auto doesn't weigh 2lb, even fully loaded.

13. phildenton

phildenton New Member

i wouldn't mind having one in 410 loaded with birdshot, but only if i was in snake coutry and only for that purpose. IMO that is the only real use for 410 out of a pistol barrel inwhich i can count on it to do the job.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Firearms Talk mobile app

14. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

Lot's of complaining about nothing. Nobody ever said a derringer was an adequate carry gun. The gun you carry should reflect a lot of things....your safety, the situations you get into, your ability, your attitude and of course your willingness. But take that a step further. Statistics have indicated that for every 100 CCW holders, 90 will NEVER draw their gun defensively......and of the 10 that do, only one will be forced to use it. So, do you need to carry an auto with 16 rounds if you never draw it? 9 out of 10 times drawing the gun will diffuse the situation...like it's supposed to do.
    I'm sure that some would carry a auto with 16 rounds on their hip, a 6 shot revolver in their pocket and a derringer in their underwear....an swear that all of it was necessary. Situational awareness is handier to have than any weapon.
    If you are a LEO....you aren't going to carry a derringer as your defense weapon. If you are a little old lady who just wants some feeling of empowerment....a cute little derringer just may be the ticket.