Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 9mm Roughneck, I am having a hard time getting used to the trigger. After about 10 rounds it did seem that I was finding it easier to pull but still hurt my finger trying to pull it. I was even pulling to the point my shots were going off target. Will it get easier? If not I may have found the one gun that I can't own, if it will then I will try pocket carry soon with the warm weather. thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
I work in gun shop and the company stocks Bond guns, I'll never understand why people buy them. I can't understand why anybody would buy a gun with a terrible trigger and such a crappy design for the heavy calibers that they are designed for. I always do my best to discourage customers from buying them but some people just think they are a great self defense gun.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
I handled a Bond Arms that was .45 Colt/.410. I have to say there was really nothing about the gun I liked. The grip is poor and the trigger was very hard. These two make it pretty much impossible to aim the gun. Understanding that it is best suited for face to face helps mitigate this some, but I would recommend spending the money on a snubby revolver or micro compact semi.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a Bond Snake Slayer and it lives up well to it's name - tho I've got the .357/.38 barrel I keep the 410/.45LC barrel attached - heavy trigger, hard to aim, goofy grip - matters not to me.....the gun has done for me what I bought it for

you want a target shooter/carry gun, get a semi auto or a revolver.....you work your property and are confronted by shoulderless devils, get a Bond in 410

·
Retired
13,842 Posts
Yes the trigger is terrible, but there are some things that can be done to make it better.
(And bear in mind, I do not advocate cutting springs to "lighten" trigger force.)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The heavy trigger pull is intentional; it is seen as a safety measure. Thank the sue happy legal system for this. You can smooth it up some and get it to the 8 pound range; not going to get much better than that. Comes stock in the 15 pound range normally. At 8 pounds you WILL feel the difference. That said a modern derringer is NOT a very useful tool. For it's size and weight there are much better options out there with higher capacity and better ergonomics. I have a couple of Bond Arms derringers but they are meant as family heirlooms now. Engraved and such as keepsakes to pass down to the kids.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Bond Snake Slayer and it lives up well to it's name - tho I've got the .357/.38 barrel I keep the 410/.45LC barrel attached - heavy trigger, hard to aim, goofy grip - matters not to me.....the gun has done for me what I bought it for

you want a target shooter/carry gun, get a semi auto or a revolver.....you work your property and are confronted by shoulderless devils, get a Bond in 410
I work around my property in Montana and I carry either a Springfield XDM 10mm or a S&W 329P .44mag (we get bigger critters on my property). Most of the ranchers or farmers around here that want a snake gun buy a Taurus Judge or a S&W Governor, they are bigger than a Bond but you have more ammo and they are more accurate.

·
Supporting Member
14,207 Posts
Old Fart,

You are correct as the others have advised. I do not know how they sell them with such a crappy trigger pull!
That is exactly why I would never buy one!
And a good acquaintance of mine Michael Bane advertises for them on the Outdoor Channel! WHY? I could only imagine the reason is Bind Arms is providing $$$$$ and support for his TV Shows on the Outdoor Channel,

·
Registered
42 Posts
The heavy trigger pull is intentional; it is seen as a safety measure. Thank the sue happy legal system for this. You can smooth it up some and get it to the 8 pound range; not going to get much better than that. Comes stock in the 15 pound range normally. At 8 pounds you WILL feel the difference. That said a modern derringer is NOT a very useful tool. For it's size and weight there are much better options out there with higher capacity and better ergonomics. I have a couple of Bond Arms derringers but they are meant as family heirlooms now. Engraved and such as keepsakes to pass down to the kids.
Kinda like rebooting a Microsoft computer is a feature right...not so.

The heavy trigger pull is not the safety measure, it's how the hammer works that is the safety feature, and the design of that hammer system is why the trigger pull is so terrible. They designed it so that the hammer rebounds and sets itself in to a safety notch after firing. The idea being that after firing your one or two shots, you will need to reload and they consider it safer to have automatically reset the hammer to a safety notch position. To accomplish this they use a "rebounding" hammer and a unique hammer spring system.

Basically it's just a crappy design and it results in a hard trigger.

·
Supporting Member
14,207 Posts
I made an inquiry to Bond Arms about the hard trigger pull. And here is what they sent back!
When you click on it. It takes several seconds to download you will see a black screen. When the picture of the guy from Bond Arms comes up simply click on the picture and the video will start. He makes it look fairly simple??? :rolleyes: For those of you who have one let us know if his technique works. He says with his technique the trigger pull is 7 lbs.?

Trigger Pull.mp4

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here is part of an instructional video on the Bond Arms Derringer's trigger system, I think it will be obvious why the trigger is so terrible. And by the way, 7 lbs is still a terrible trigger and I suspect that you'll be repositioining your grip after every shot in order to keep that space between your hand and the hammer.
Partial AGI video

·
Registered
460 Posts
just watched the video (trigger pull mp4) - I think the "web" of the hand and the "tip" of the finger thing that the fellow was trying to use as an "excuse" for heavy trigger pull isn't valid - I tried his recommendations and didn't see a big deal (no difference) in my Shoulderless Devil Slayer/moved my trigger finger "tip to full in" and pull remained the same - this is not an issue with my pistol

again, unless one is a Poker Player in an old time Frontier Town Saloon, don't get a Bond Arms Derringer for self defense - get a good Revolver or a good Semi Auto Pistol

(it irritates the heck outta me that Bond Arms adverts their pistols "for self defense" (on TV programs such as Gun Stories - my opionion is that it's crap for that purpose.....:mad:)

·
Supporting Member
14,207 Posts
Thanks Pierre,

That is why I had the 7 lb. pull comment with a ?
Thank you your comment sure solves the truth. I wonder if the derringer he had was modified to cover up the fact their triggers suck! :p

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone, I believe I will sell the two I have and suffer the loss in money but gain the knowledge to never own another. Now to figure what they can be sold for and I know I will lose on them, one has never been fired and never will by me. Maybe I can sell both for enough to get a Wrangler and some ammo. Thanks everyone.

·
Supporting Member
14,207 Posts
Not to be offensive, but IMO why buy inferior weapons when there are many others that are excellent?
I choose to spend my money on excellent quality weapons! It does not grow on trees.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Registered
460 Posts
havta take offense to the "inferior" remark Sniper - if they were "inferior" in any way I wouldn't own - and use - one, but I do and it does - the job for which it was intended

now if you were to say that it's not much good for PD or target shooting I go along but let me ask.....how much shooting have you done with one and what type of shooting did you do ?

·
Supporting Member
14,207 Posts
Pierre,
Sorry, I did not mean inferior as it sounded only referring to the trigger issue. I meant that you would think the company would try to make every effort to improve the trigger issue. Since everyone I have ever heard of has criticized the poor trigger pull on them. I have not heard one person really satisfied with it. As far as the little gun's quality of material and design. (less the trigger issue!) I believe it is in fact a solid little gun and do like the simplicity of various barrels and the ease of changing them. But as I did say I would not buy one simply for the reason of the trigger issue. And in the past I had considered one, until I also felt the trigger pull. I was thinking it would make and excellent little gun for hiking in the woods and running into snakes. With it having the ability to fire 410 Shot Shells. If they ever got the trigger issue solved I would consider getting one. In fact the one I looked at was their Grizzly Model.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts