Bond Arms Derringers

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by gruntpain1775, Mar 22, 2011.

1. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Does anyone have any experience with them? I"m thinking about getting one to carry around my property when I'm doing work.

2. KennyFSU

KennyFSU New Member

I have the Snake Slayer (4.25' barrel/45 Colt & 410 shell) and I love it. If you choose a large caliber one make sure you invest in the a set of extended grips because the smaller ones do tend to hurt my hand. They also have excellent customer service and ship items out very quickly.

3. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

I was looking at the snake slayer actually. 410/45LC is just right. One barrel for snakes and the other for any coyotes that want to come walking up. Larger grips for it though huh?

4. KennyFSU

KennyFSU New Member

Or gloves; which may be the cheaper alternative.

But who knows, my threshold for pain may be less than yours. Good luck, you won't be disappointed with their quality.

5. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Unless you just want the derringer for it's smaller size, for your purpose I would want something that holds more than 2 rounds, like a Taurus Judge or that new S&W Governor.

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Iff'n I ever hear about Grunt packing a Judge - the ridicule will be merciless...:D

7. Gun_Nutter

Gun_Nutter New Member

I have a Snake Slayer .410/.45. It's great for pocket carry.

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Bond Arms makes some great guns.They are just down the road from me,in Granbury,Tx.
    Their triggers are a bit stiff for me though.I've shot a few,and just don't care for the heavy triggers on them.

9. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

If you ever hear of me packing a judge not only will I ridicule myself, but I will drive to GA so you and the fellas can give a good *** whippin.

As for a Derringer to shoot snakes, I want it for it's size. It's big enough to use with work gloves on and from what I felt when I handled one today it's light enough to carry when I'm working in the yard. As for capacity, If I find a snake that can with stand 2 shots to the head, I'm running. If I find more than 2 snakes, I'm running. After either, I'm calling in a favor and having my yard nuked from orbit.

10. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I think that the heavy trigger is a purposeful feature due to the fact that most of their guns have no triggerguard.

11. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Ok picked up a BA Texas Defender yesterday. It has a 410/.45LC barrel. So far I like it. Aside from the cost of the ammo to feed that damn thing it's pretty cool. Perfect for snake shooting, popping something like a dog running up to bite you, etc.

The safety for the gun is pretty good. It has a safety block that prevents the hammer from hitting the firing pins. It also has a "snap back" feature that prevents the hammer from hitting the pins unless the trigger is pulled. So even if it were off safe and dropped or the hammer was bumped it would not hit the firing pin.

The trigger pull....unique. The trigger doesn't go straight back like a normal trigger does. This one operated in a down/rearward angle. I thought the trigger pull was crazy hard when I was pulling it. Nope, just pulling it wrong. It's no 1911 trigger, that's for sure. But once you figure out how to pull it, it's easy, smooth and not a heavy trigger at all.

When shooting the Colts I was hitting about an inch/inch and a half at 7 yards. not to bad for a short barrel.

12. powg

powg New Member

bond derringers

They are well -built ,and have great service ..Made in Texas. Nuff said .They are also expensive , but they are worth it.

13. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

I saw one of these at the gunshop today on consignment for $300. Is that a good price? I handled the gun and it seems very well made but the grips are the only question for me.

14. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

With a box of 410 shells it was 415.

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

We will require pictures of its first assigned victim...

16. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Oh you will get them for sure. However, I do hope there are no victims. No victims=no sightings and I'm good with that!

17. KennyFSU

KennyFSU New Member

The trigger and hammer indeed get a lot easier to handle after a hundred rounds or so. I recently purchased a set of Rosewood extended grips and they made a world of difference!

18. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Well, first snake of the season and first with the bond arms. Gotta say, I wasn't impressed with the shot. Snake was E&Eing the area, first shot balled him up. 2nd shot killed him.

Shots were taken from about 6 feet away. I went inside to get more ammo and when I came back snake was still there, but still alive, 3rd shot killed him.
    Pattern is pretty wide, so the shot went all over his body instead of focusing where I was aiming...the head.

I like the gun, but wasn't impressed with the killing potential for the gun. It stopped the snake, but I wanted a one shot and head is much type thing. That said, I'm using 2 1/2 IN-1/2-7 1/2 shells, not real snake shot.

[​IMG]

19. Bootsdeal

Bootsdeal New Member

Is it short enough to carry in jeans hip pocket? I've been hip-pocket carrying a Taurus 738, but would like the 410/45. If 2 shots aren't enough, I'll go for my primary.

20. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The Bond derringers that have come through fall into two categories for my customers.
    First are those who will not give up the dern thing, and
    second, those who fired it once and can't wait to get rid of it because they figure it is too impractical to be useful to them.