Bolting safe

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by ARlover, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ARlover

ARlover New Member

Hello every1 I have wood floors and I'm renting. I want to bolt my safe down but with Minimal damage to the floor but still how should I go about doing this??? I would like to be able to cover it up when I move

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Bolt it to the wall through the studs. Patch and paint when you move.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

3. ARlover

ARlover New Member

It dosent have holes on the wall of the safe tho

4. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Yeah I would not do that to the floors as mountainman said it is much easier to bolt it to the wall and patch a wall than it is to repair hardwood flooring

5. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Drill some holes.

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

You don't have to drill huge holes. Just enough to secure the safe from tipping. Make sure it is the drywall, not a partition. If you are thinking possible burglary, consider an alarm system, and absolutely get it insured.

7. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Place a couple hundred pounds of lead weights in the bottom of the safe. No drilling required. :D

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Do you have carpet on the floor? If you have carpet on the floor no one will be able to tell you screwed the safe to the floor.

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Drilling holes in hardwood flooring causes serious damage. That is not cool. Don't do that to your landlord. You could patch sheetrock and leave no damage at all.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Actually it's just as easy to patch a hardwood floor as drywall. Mix whiting and stain until it matches the floor or is a little darker. Once you have the whiting prepared use a plastic putty knife to fill the hole and smooth the mixture off. With a little practice you can make the repair look just like a knot. I have repaired a lot of very expensive woodwork with whiting. I have never had a customer complain. I have had some customers that pointed to other flaws in the woodwork trying to say that is my fault. No dice, I always take a photo of the woodwork before I start a repair.

It's very difficult to bolt/screw a safe to a wall. You have a baseboard that is going to hold the safe off the wall. I have drilled holes in safes and cabinets so I could screw them into the bottom plate in the wall. If the trim is painted that might be easiest place to work. They say caulk and paint will make a carpenter what he aint.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  11. ARlover

ARlover New Member

Thumbs up guys thx