Bolt upgrade

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by HighSpeed, Nov 27, 2010.

1. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

I have a Stag Model 2T. The rifle is accurate and suits my needs. My one gripe is the bolt carrier and it's lack of satisfactory gas key staking. The notches are there, but are not up to par with the likes of DD, Noveske, LMT, etc.

So I'm looking for good BCG recommendations (proper gas key staking/mil spec) and good/inexpensive places to find them.

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Is the key working loose? Not sure what problem you are looking to solve or are you just looking for a better quality BCG? Any gunsmith can stake the gas key for a fraction of the cost of a high end BCG.

3. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

No, the key isn't working loose, (yet) I'm just looking for a better quality BCG.

I thought about taking it to a gunsmith, however I think I'd to keep this BCG as a spare/backup, maybe just keep the bolt in my MIAD grip and upgrade.

4. peabody

peabody New Member

get the BCM ... bravo company BCG.

never look back. :)

they are on sale now.

love mine.

peabody

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

6. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

RIght now it's between the BCM and the LMT enhanced BCG... decisions, decisions.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I had the same dilemma and bought a Daniel Defense BCG for about $136 including shipping from gandrtactical.com but I see they're out of stock now. Excellent product (as is BCM) plus I have my original BCG as a spare.

8. culdee

culdee New Member

bcg

I understand buying a better BCG but why not get the original one staked too? Even as a spare you don't want it working loose.

9. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

I hadn't thought about that, good call.

Here's a question about the BCGs: are they all interchangeable between AR15s or are there certain specs for each brand or individual rifle?

I heard one guy say that the BCG had to be measured with a Go/No Go gauge of some sort to make sure it fit, but I have never seen any spec options on BCGs nor have I heard that before. My reasoning is that if they are built to MilSpec it shouldn't matter...

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

its not a good idea to swap bolts around after they have been fired in the rifle for a while. its not that you cant it just leads to accelerated wear as the bolt and chamber of the new rifle make new wear patterns then repeat the proccess when swapped back. the carrier itself really doesnt matter what rifle its in but the bolt and chamber do.

your rifle isnt going to stop functioning or blow up or anything just your chamber lug area and bolt will wear out much sooner swapping it back and forth.

11. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

That makes perfect sense, and I hadn't considered it before. I have roughly 200 rds through the Stag right now, so I'll check the chamber to see if wear patterns have been established.

Thanks for the good info.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

200 isnt going to do it. it takes more than that. just keep the bolt with the riflle barrel. bolts are cheap enough. when you get over 500+ they are pretty much a set by then. i have one bolt for each of my barrels i got 8 different AR15 barrels in 4 calibers 458 socom 45acp 223 and 556 (556 and 223 are slightly different chambers) each have their own bolts. when a bolt shows wear on the face (i toss em when they get 3 or more visible pits) i get a new bolt. my colt sp1 is on it's 3rd bolt and second barrel since i bought it over 20 years ago. still has the same carrier.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

When changing bolts it's smart to have the headspace checked using the gauges you mentioned. Actually testing with just a field gauge should be all right. You're right that as long as everything is built to spec it should be ok but the test is a good idea. Shouldn't cost much at a gunsmith or the gauge is about $40 or so.