Bolt carriers , Which one would you choose ?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by purehavoc, Aug 8, 2012.

1. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

3 different bolt carriers here bolt A on the top of the first 3 pics , bolt B on the bottom of the first 3 pics is slightly used 3400 rds so please ignore the wear marks and bolt C on the last 2 pics . all 3 are mil spec and MP, HP tested
    Now why would you choose what you have chosen ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BRAND C

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

"A" looks brand new, smooth, well staked and M16 carrier. "B" shows use, is rougher and maybe not staked as well. Also M16. "C" would be my least favorite due to the AR-15 carrier and the staking looks light.

3. Rhino24

Rhino24 New Member

I would choose bolt B on the bottom of the first 3 pics because it looks like mine. A Bravo Company Mfg. BCM full Auto M16 This is a good game. Will you tell us which ones are in the pics after more people chime in?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Yes I will and the results may be stunning.:D its not going very quickly 50 viewers and only 2 replies

5. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I would choose A! It looks like a much cleaner manufactured carrier, with consistent lines and angles.

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

good enough for me, any of them ;) if it breaks I'll swap it out with a b/u bcg until i can repair it :cool:

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

In regard to the edit, C's carrier is not milspec, it's AR-15 style.

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

My bad u are right on that one. More surprises coming soon

9. Rhino24

Rhino24 New Member

My guess are: A = is a Spikes Tactical
    B = is a BCM
    C = is a cheap back up
    When can we get the results?

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Good call A is spikes. They have a very distinct color from everything else
    B is a palmetto state armory. Very dark in color and almost exact to a BCM. After comparing this to my buddies BCM I would say these come from the same house.
    C is a LMT .
    LMT is Normally not know for this kind of work. But this just goes to show they all have slip ups in QC every once in a while. ,
    This LMT rifle came from a dealer who claimed it was all mil spec. And we know it is not, that is why I posted them all up in mil spec to see who or if anyone would catch this. Good catch Quentin
    LMT has taken care of this issue by the way so please do not slander them they do make great rifles and they all have a slip every now and then.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Interesting thread, purehavoc. Nice to see Spikes, PSA and LMT close up. We should add pics of other BCGs. I have BCM and DD so will have to get the camera macro mode going this weekend.

LMT usually makes a great BCG but you do have to specify the M16 not AR-15 carrier. The light staking does bother me. If we do put up more pics it would be good to get a good view of gas key staking.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Would be nice to get a sticky with up close " Macro" pics of all the different bolts . DD is one on my to find list , unfortunantly nobody had one in stock when I was looking and I couldnt wait as I had another upper on the way.

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I just picked up my DD M4v3 today. Maybe I'll contribute picks of the BCG...well, when I'm a bit more ambitious. It's a well staked M16 of course. Mil-Spec+ is their motto, after all.

Got home and discovered the vertical foregrip was cracked, so that part is going back to DD in the morning. I replaced it with a Magpul AFG (which I prefer) I had sitting around. I'm loving the lightness of this rifle. Maybe I'll get it out to the range this weekend. I think this thing will stay stock for the time being, without any optics.

My Spike's M16 BCG also showed up in the mail today. Honestly, it's pretty tough to beat their quality for $120 or so. It's going in my now "beater" DPMS Sportical...which has actually been quite good to me, and is also a nice lightweight little carbine. While somewhat expendable, it's a keeper for sentimental reasons. And a darn good friend.

Once I get my BCM build together in a week or so, I'll get pics up of the pair. All the remaining parts come in this week.

14. Fumbles

Fumbles New Member

Yeah, the BCG in my LMT CQB MRP 16" certainly does not look like that.

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Finally got around to pictures of my BCM and Daniel Defense BCGs. The DD is an older version bought in 2009 that isn't laser etched with DD and the bolt isn't marked HP MP like the BCM which was bought a few months ago. The BCM gas key staking is a little better but all in all the DD is acceptable. I understand the current DDs are now the equal of BCM but haven't seen one. Even though the old DD isn't marked DD did claim the bolt was high pressure tested and magnetic particle inspected. Staking is the only issue I see with the older DD though it is not bad.

I thought about throwing in my ArmaLite BCG but it looks just like the DD except it has an AR-15 style carrier like the LMT at the top of the thread and the bolt has a relieved lug opposite of the extractor. (That lug isn't used.)

In the pictures the BCM always is on top.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

sweeper22, I'd love to see your new DD BCG vs. my older one. Kinda wish mine had laser etching like my BCM. DD started that in 2010 I think. Of course the etching doesn't affect performance but I bet your staking is better and that your bolt is marked HP MP.

17. inej

inej New Member

At the risk of sounding like the AR noob I am, what is the difference between an ar bcg and m16 bcg

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Look at the LMT carrier which is the one in a vertical position. Look toward the end of the LMT and compare to all the others which are M16 carriers. Note the LMT is cut shorter on its left side. Some really pathetic AR-15 carriers also expose the firing pin (not LMT though). It's wise to get a proper BCG in the first place since it's such an important component. Now LMT is a very good BCG but they do sell both kinds of carriers so something to watch for.

19. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

20. inej

inej New Member

Thanks guys. Didn't notice the differences