Bolt carrier assemblies?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by cotex, Nov 27, 2013.

1. cotex

cotex New Member

Looking at the last two pieces of the puzzle. Bolt carrier assembly who's do I buy and is nickel boron a must have? Spikes looks cool with the lightweight nib, some say waste of money... Any Black Friday deals in the mix we know about?

Tex

Attached Files:

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

NIB is not necessary but some like it. To me it's a waste of money. Spikes standard phosphated M16 BCG should be fine, as is BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT and others. I would get the heavy FA/M16 carrier not a lightweight. PSA has bargains but you have to compare specs, and I'd avoid their 8620 bolt.

Check the Deals, Deals, Deals thread, might be something there.

3. j4454

j4454 New Member

^ he hit the nail on the head

I do have a bcm I haven't cleaned has 1800 round through it still functions great. So I'm bcm when they are available

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree with j4454, you just can't beat BCM's BCG. I have two and like them better than my DD and PSA, mainly because they were tested thoroughly and are up to true milspec. I think the extractor is better than most others too. Had a little trouble with my DD extractor which was solved by replacing with a BCM extractor kit.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

I'll second the bcm.

I recomend em cuz they are solid and bcm has gold 5 star uber support.

The bcg is the heart of an ar15. You can skimp on a lot of stuff but if you skimp on the bcg your just asking for it.

Coatings like nickel born are marketing gimmicks usually applied to get you to overlook areas of less than quality work. Phosphate is probably the best overall coating as it retains lubricant in the pores better and that forms a great rust barrier.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I prefer BCM and have been happy with PSA and Spikes (among others). AIM Surplus has some screamin' BCG deals right now.

AIM NiB: $129.95
    AIM MPI: $79.95

Would love to hear some impressions of a 9310 bolt. I don't know enough about it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  7. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Just bought a Spikes Tactical M16 BCG got to test it out ran flawlessly has 158 steel Bolt and 8620 steel carrier only paid $100 couldn't be happier with it.

My .02¢

8. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Third on the BCM BCG.

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Psa does have a fully tested true mil-spec BCG too , just needs to pay attention to the specs and hope they have them in stock and then on sale. That a tall order today.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

11. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Sorry, I dont mean to be hijacking a thread here but I have a question, Is there any advantage to using an M-16 BCG in your AR build instead of an AR-15 BCG?? Whats the difference between the 2?

12. j4454

j4454 New Member

I hijacked these pictures but I feel they say it all. The bottom picture the left is ar15 the right is m16

Attached Files:

13. capnklump

capnklump New Member

The M-16 looks to be a bit "beefier"

14. j4454

j4454 New Member

Correct I have little to no experience with non m16 but I know m16 are supposed to last a lot longer and are typically higher quality.

15. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Thats what I'm going with then, Thanks

16. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

The extra weight of the M16 bcg slows down the cycle speed a bit too.

17. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Don't get a lightweight BCG unless you willing to get an adjustible gas block and tinker with the adjustment.

Stick with standard m16 style full auto heavyweight for you first build. Less things to go wrong and troubleshoot.

Nickle Boron is pretty, and cleans easy. Its also more expensive. I don't think its a worthwhile tradeoff. I've had NiBor and hard chrome BCGs, but I no longer buy them anymore, not worth the added expense.

18. capnklump

capnklump New Member

I got the mil-spec premium BCG from PSA

19. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Forgot to mention it is the full auto m-16 one.

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Weight is the primary consideration. The M-16 configuration is more desireable as it slows the acrion down a bit and can reduce felt recoil.