Bolt action

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by WannaBeVagabomd, Jun 9, 2013.

1. WannaBeVagabomd

WannaBeVagabomd New Member

Could anyone point me in the direction of either a bolt action AR15 upper or a bolt action that accepts AR15 accessories? A solid hunting caliber would also be preferred. I'm getting stationed in Alaska.

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I'm with Mountainman,What the hell!
    Why would you want a semi-auto platform to be a bolt action? And,if you're going to be hunting in Alaska,the smallest rifle caliber I'd want is a 30/06. It won't fit in an AR platform,Although there is a company that makes long action AR10 style platform weapons,but they start off around $5000.00,and go up depending on what you want,but it wouldn't be a bolt action.
    Safety Harbor does make a 50BMG upper for a AR15 lower that is a bolt action,but I don't think you would like to hunt with the big 50!

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

umm, interesting question.

you can't just buy a bolt action rifle?

im curious as to what accessries you are thinking of.

with a drill and the proper screws you could mount a picatinny rail on just about any wooden stock.

4. shnorse

shnorse New Member

highly interested, that's a good NY loop hole

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Vagabomb,

The question kind of threw me. I have a friend that is a custom AR Builder and does or can build a single shot AR with a Bolt type charging handle on the left side of the receiver and it is single shot operation not semi-auto. Can't imagine anyone wanting anything like this in Alaska. Semi-Auto I think would be prefered. But the snag there is you are going to Alaska and the only caliber they come in is 5.56. I like the others can not imagine going to Alaska and hunting with anything less than 308 (7.62X51) There are several good rifles manufactured in that group. Rock River Arms, Remington, Armalite, DPMS and others. Also I have a 458 SOCOM that is 45 Cal. And I know of no quality bolt action rifle that takes AR-15 Accessories? Maybe you can clarify the request a little clearer for us. What are you going to hunt with it? :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

7. WannaBeVagabomd

WannaBeVagabomd New Member

Those look good. Not sure I can get the right caliber. I want something that can accept the stocks, handguards etc. My uncle has a lot of spare parts he's willing to part with wholesale. Some really nice ones too. Bolt action just seems a hell of a lot more appropriate for the situation.

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

like i said get a bolt action, and add these to the stock. then you could use and grip, light laser your heart desires.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/utg-pi...nny+rail&lpq=amazon, picatinny rail&FORM=HURE

as far as using an ar stock, i'm just not sure its possible.

but with company like boyds, tapco, and others you should be able to find a nice stock aftermarket. you maybe find just a cheek riser attachment.

essentially what your doing is looking for ways to make a ford out of chevy parts.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Why attatch AR accessories to a bolt gun? What do you wish to gain from the accessories? Why not a good bolt gun in a good Alaska hunting caliber and an AR for fun?

10. longunner

longunner New Member

From what I understand from my guys at my LGS, you can still build an AR with all the "evil features". I would confirm with more sources if I were you, but it's not the first time I've heard it

11. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

makes sense to me, as long as you already have the stripped lower. that part is now not allowed to be bought. but AR's dont (according to the law) have to be registered till next year.. therefore you could potentially build whatever the heck you wanted till then. lol

12. Ishooter

Ishooter New Member

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  13. longunner

longunner New Member

What I mean is you can still buy a stripped lower today and build one tomorrow. I guess the only hard thing is finding parts lol.

14. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Right, understood that..... But you can't buy a lower in NY anymore is what I meant..... That part of law is in effect

15. randy420

randy420 New Member

Try the mossberg MVP rifle. It's a bolt action rifle but it takes ar15 clips. It's only in .223 but I read somewhere that mossberg is coming out with a .308 model.

16. Jersey700PB

Jersey700PB New Member

I picked up the MVP a month ago.. I must say I love it.

Attached Files: