bolt action shotguns?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by gunnovice09, Jun 14, 2012.

1. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 New Member

I recently saw these on cheaper than dirt what's the idea behind them or their purpose?

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Wasn't it more for duck hunting? I remember a couple of older relatives had them; i thought them odd (the guns).

3. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

Looking at old catalogs ( really old) they seem to have been cheaper alternatives to pumps or autos. Especially the old store brands were quite a bit cheaper.

4. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 New Member

Nothing sounds sexier than a pump shot gun

5. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

They made thousands of bolt-action shotguns years back. They functioned OK but never were very popular. Now they are worth almost nothing, very hard to get $50 for most of them.

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

LOL They made more than a few and they were quite popular everywhere by somebody at somepoint. First gun I borrowed to go hunting. Bought my own 20 ga. and restocked it -- it's still my favorite small-game gun. Eventually got a 12 ga. Yes, used. But tactical w/a 2-round mag!

They are often considered the ugliest gun ever made. I luv 'em. Oh, and they HAVE to have a poly-choke at the muzzle or they don't count. Nowadays I ADD those to more modern guns!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  7. orangello

orangello New Member

Tell the hooker not to talk so much while she unzips the cheerleader boots. :D

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Mossberg made a shipload or two of bolt action shotguns- .410, 28, 20, 16, and 12. Inexpensive, durable, reliable- first gun for a lot of shooters, gun of the farmer, mechanic, shopkeeper. Many of the store brand guns were Mossys. There were also SMLEs that were converted to 410 for riot control, and Mausers that were converted to shotguns after WW 1 (no rifles allowed)

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally i like the old bolt action shotguns. i had one in 20 ga when i was much younger. that was my quail hunting gun. the gun is long gone, as are the quail now. i may have to buy one in 20 ga if i ever run across one, just for the nostagia of it. most i seem to find are 12 ga.

several firearms makers made them for many years and many were sold by Sears, Mongomery Wards, Western Auto, K-Mart and others under their rollmark. i think they were popular for many years because they were cheap and plentiful. so they made good first guns for a beginning shooter or hunter.

10. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

A Mossberg bolt 20 was my first shotgun. One time shame on you, two times.... ain't gonna happen in this life. It was a cheap repeater. That is all the positives I can think of.

11. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

we all have to start with something

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

my friend recently bought a newer one. i think savage made it. synthetic stock 3 or 4 round mag. pretty accurate held a group of 2 to 3 in at 100 yards. he sold it though. not really sure why. it worked great.

13. phildenton

phildenton New Member

My 1st shotgun was a savage 410 bolt, the very one that was my grandfather's first gun. I still have it. Inherited it 13 months ago.

14. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Bolt action shotguns are real popular in lower Michigan because u can't deer hunt with a rifle down here so we get these bolt action rifled barrels to shot out to 150 yards with nice groups

Attached Files:

15. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I happen to like the old bolt shottys. Back in the late 50s, the first shotgun I ever shot was a .410 bolt action, still have it. The old Mossberg 12ga bolt action goose gun would make a good turkey gun. I know a few guys that use 12ga bolt actions to this day for turkey hunting. My .410 bolt makes a great rabbit getter.

Jim............

16. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

The Marlin listed in my signature is a Bolt-Action Shotgun, known as the Model 55 "Goose Gun" it has a 36" barrel is about 54" overall length and is 2+1 capacity. It was made between the 60's and 80's IIRC. I saw a couple listed on gunbroker for around $350-$450. I'm currently refinishing the stock on mine. My grandad used it to hunt turkey.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012