Bolt Action Shotguns.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Axxe55, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i wanted to start a thread dedicated to nothing but bolt action shotguns. the brand doesn't matter, just that it's a bolt action shotgun.

i got an older Mossberg 20 ga. bolt action last year that i refinished the stock on, and it got the bug in me going to own more of them. my first repeater shotgun years ago was a bolt action in 12 ga.

history, pictures and information on all of them.

miy current one is a Mossberg 385T model with a 28" barrel and improved cylinder choked barrel. i'll add pictures later when i can.

2. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

My first shotgun was a Mossberg bolt gun. It was and always shall be my last bolt action shotgun. I found they were abominable handling guns, practically useless for wingshooting. It's not for no reason that except for specialty slug guns they are no longer made.

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

My Mossberg is actually pretty fast and smooth handling.

As for why they are no longer made, it was mostly due to the pump action becoming cheaper, and more popular.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have a Marlin Goose gun that I use for turkey shoots. It has won an eighteen wheeler load of hams, turkeys and other prizes.

Away from a turkey shoot the goose gun is pretty useless. It has been a couple years since I have shot in a turkey shoot. I don't mind donating money to charity but I will have no part of the for profit turkey shoot.

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You mean like this ?.............

Attached Files:

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A HUGE percentage of the bolt action shotguns will be Mossbergs. They were not fancy, they were not sexy, but they were reliable, durable guns- typically the gun of the mechanic, storekeeper, farmer- and especially the first shotgun for a young shooter.

Follow up shots can usually be timed with a good calendar, but for one shot they usually do well.

H&R had the Gamester, Mossberg the 80, 180 and 380 series. And our own DIYguy, the old gun restoring fan just did a great job of salvaging a bolt action Mossberg that I would have thought beyond saving. Many of those guns were stocked with some fairly nice walnut.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Diy has insane restoration skills. He turns complete pieces of junk into working pieces of art. That raccoon pee covered gun he just did is crazy.

8. Axxe55

yes he does! he is taking older inexpensive guns and making them more beautiful than they ever were new. the man has some serious talent with guns.

9. Axxe55

maybe you wouldn't mind sharing some pictures of the Marlin with us.

10. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

I'll get some pics of mine tomorrow, it sounds the same as what JD has, a Marlin Model 55 "Goose Gun" 12ga, 36" Full Choke Barrel, dad has taken many a Turkey with it, and grandad took a couple with it as well. Might see if I can dig through all my photos and find a pic of him with the shotgun.

I just got done trying to redo the stock on it, didn't come out right so I gotta steel wool it and re-clear it.

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I had a Montgomery Wards bolt action 12 gauge. Don't remember much about it. But I remember a time I came home from the range with it. I lived in a rough neighborhood. I had been out of the Army for about a year. I was returning home in the dark. There was a group of guys that used to hang out at a picnic table below my stairwell. They used to yell obscenities at people as they walked up sidewalk at night. They could hear me coming but could not see me. I was wearing combat boots. They were yelling at me. Then I stepped into the light. I was wearing full BDUs with my combat boots. I was carrying the 12 gauge in one hand and a 50 cal ammo can in the other. The guy that was yelling at me stopped mid sentence. Paused for a second. And in a trembling voice said "Hey, how's it going?"

They were always polite to me from that moment forward.:D

That is all I remember of my bolt action shotgun.

12. Axxe55

i like the simplicity of the bolt action shotgun. at one time they were very common and could be found on the shelves of most stores, hardware stores and gun stores, and even Montgomery Wards and Sears.

i think as pump shotguns got more common and cheaper in price, this pretty much put a decline on the need for bolt action shotguns for consumers.

well i still have a huge soft spot for the older bolt action shotguns and may have to make it a personal mission to see about saving as many as i can to pass onto others when i leave this world.

i have never seen any of the old bolt action shotguns that were elegant or fancy, but more purposeful and simple. in that, to me they do have a certain sense of simple elegance that just isn't as common in most firearms this day. they were built with a purpose in mind, to be used for hunting, not to sit in a gun cabinet and admired.

13. IowaSteve

IowaSteve New Member

I have a couple of Marlins my Dad and I bought new in 1968. He's is a 20 gauge with a 2-shot magazine and mine is a single shot .410. Both are still like new. I shot the rest of the original box of shells through Dad's last summer. I've used mine over the years for my three kids to learn to hunt. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1395595587.487930.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1395595610.591114.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

14. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

my mossberg 410 183k still woo's people when i shoot it in skeet. i can pull doubles with it and people say they dont see me rack it.... it goes so fast.

15. Axxe55

Bobski, i would love to have a bolt action in every gauge that Mossberg offeed them in.

16. texaswoodworker

17. Axxe55

18. texaswoodworker

I have that same problem. :(

19. Axxe55

it happens TWW!

maybe i should buy some lottery tickets!:p

20. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

I got so busy fixing to pull the engine out of my truck I completely forgot about this thread!

I still need to go through all the pictures, grandma passed last july and it was just 2 Saturday's ago I finally got ALL the pictures and somethings from the house.