Bolt action rifle for beginner?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by kbeezy88, Mar 8, 2011.

1. kbeezy88

kbeezy88 New Member

Hey guys and gals. I recently decided that I want to get into target shooting and am looking for a low cost but decent rifle to learn fundamentals on. I'd like to shoot from long distances as well. The optics can come later, as I said I just wanna learn fundamentals. Is anything with a larger caliber than .22 gonna be too much to start on?

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I started with a .22 bolt action, but i was 6 at the time. If you want longer range, you will need a longer (more powerful) cartridge. Why not start with the .22 & move to a centerfire, longer cartridge later? The .22 will be good for practice on the cheap ammo.

3. kbeezy88

kbeezy88 New Member

yea I was sorta thinking that might be a good move. I have shot a .22 before but only one time at boyscout camp at age 12, but considering I haven't shot nething but a bb gun since then the .22 is probably the best choice. I have heard Ruger makes a solid .22 rifle. any thoughts?

4. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I agree with orangello. I began at the tender age of 12, using a single shot, bolt action .22 short rifle, with open sights. Most folks believe that bolt guns are far more accurate than semi-autos. I happen to agree with that, although there are some very accurate semi-autos being made. I'm primarily a pistolero, but I do appreciate an accurate rifle.

May I suggest finding a local gun club that sponsors long range shooting? Those are the folks you really want to talk with. I don't know of any gunners who don't like to talk / brag about their sport. When you really get into it, you will find yourself spending a lot of time and money on gear, and for the sake of accuracy, loading your own custom ammo.

5. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Mossberg 802 Plinkster.
    I bought my daughter one in Pink from WalMart for $160.00 The black one was about $20 cheaper.
    It shoots well, It had am 8 round magazine(IIRC) you can add a scope later if needed, It had the Dove tail mount rather than the wider Weaver style.
    Best of luck

6. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

As far as calibers,a .22LR would be a cheap way to learn how to shoot well,but you are really limited to 100 yards for reilistic accuracy.I think something like a .22-250 would give you lots of long range ability and very little recoil.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The Ruger 77/22, an outstanding rifle;

Ruger 7722 Standard 22LR, Blued, American Walnut 7722-R $579.00 SHIPS FREE

But if you are going to spend that much, you could get two of these;

Savage AXIS 223 $294.00 SHIPS FREE

Savage AXIS 308 $280.00 SHIPS FREE

Or one of these with the scope included;

Savage AXIS XP 223 CAMO W/SCP $366.00 SHIPS FREE

Savage AXIS XP 308StainlessW/SCP $381.00 SHIPS FREE

And you may want to read this;

Out of the box accuracy

How's Beverly Hills? I used to live in Northville.

8. kbeezy88

kbeezy88 New Member

wow thank you all so much for the info. I like the looks of the Savage AXIS 308, and it sounds like they are quite accurate outta the box :), and a nice price for a beginner.

Northville eh? I haven't made it out that way much but my grandma lives in warren. Beverly Hills is chill though, lots of family's and houses, haha - luckily my family owns a cabin up near Alpena so I can practice shooting on state land out there. I'm trying to get outta here pretty soon though. I am hopefully joining the Marines! :D whered u move to if I may ask?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I worked at the GM Tech Center for years. Retired and living in Ft. Lauderdale now.

Good luck future Devil Dog, send me a PM should you ever get to South Florida.

cane

10. workinprogress

workinprogress New Member

Some of you guys are closer than I realize, I'm out in Troy at the moment.

I like the Savage rifles myself but pretty much everything is going to be good these days. Just go out and handle a few to see which one feels the best. If you're just going to target shoot you may want to go with a heavy barrel. .22 is good to start out on also because you won't develop a flinch from expecting the recoil.

11. kbeezy88

kbeezy88 New Member

Thankyou Cane, enjoy the beautiful weather down there, its kinda gloomy here right now with rain and snow still on the ground.

haha we are like 10 mins away form eachother workinprogess, kinda wild. Well I just confirmed my purchase of a Savage 26700 MKIIF 22LR AT! :)

12. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

My first rifle was a Ruger 10/22, but if you want to do long range shooting with the same gun you will probably want to look at something a little more powerful.

13. workinprogress

workinprogress New Member

Small world.

Not sure if you know this or not but there is an outdoor range on Dequindre between 21 and 23 mile. I'm not exactly positive of the street but it's near a 7-11.

edit: Just found it on google maps. It's just North of Hamlin on Dequindre, East side of the road.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Go with a bolt action 22lr CZ, RUger, ect.....

This will give you hours upon hours of practice for the price of 30 minutes with even a 223. I say stay away from semiautomatics as you tend to shoot faster. When beginning you want to concentrate on the fundamentals like breathing, trigger control, sight picture and safety. Spray and pray is not good to learn with.

Plus once you get hooked on rimfires centerfires are just for making more noise and burning more powder.

15. soulsniper

soulsniper New Member

if u can learn to use a .22 and get accurate with it u can be accurate with any firearm and a cheap caliber for long range shooting is a 17hmr the .223 rifles are expensive and ammo isnt real cheap and all you would need for a .22 scope is a 3-9x32 but a 17hmr for long range you need a 6-8x40 or a 6-24x40

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

i agree a 22lr is the way to go for a first firearm. easy to learn the basics. in shooting, form and technique are everything. i enjoy shooting centerfire but i would say 85% of my time is spent shooting 22lr. a 22lr due to lack of any real recoil makes it easier to detect problems with flinch and trigger control.

17. kbeezy88

kbeezy88 New Member

I decided to not go with a ruger for my first rifle cause they are so expensive, im on a semi tight budget right now, and I have heard good things about savage firearms. Probably not suitable for the experienced gunner, but I figure I'll work my way up. I dont wanna "jump the gun" on my shooting hobby.

and I did not know about that range, good to know, thanks workinprogress.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  18. Wambli

Wambli Member

Ruger makes quite a few solid .22s but the gun to learn fundamentals on is not their semi-auto 10-22. Too much of a temptation for newbies to keep janking the trigger.

Get a decent Savage or Marlin bolt action .22 (used is fine) with a reasonably priced rimfire specific scope (regular scopes are paralax adjusted for 150-175 yards and not suitable for normal rimfire ranges). Go sit at the 50 yard range bench and shoot at tiny targets until you get good. After you master breath and trigger control then start shooting offhand, prone and sitting. Rimfire ammo is cheap and plentiful, have at it...