Bolt action for my son to compete with...

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by kevlar, Apr 27, 2010.

1. kevlar

kevlar New Member

My son just got into 4H Shooting Sports. I'd like to get him a bolt action .22, off the shelf, for under $300. Any recommendations? Thanks.

2. willshoum

willshoum New Member

22 bolt

check out the Marlin Mod. 881.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

A real good entry level rifle for small bore is a Mossberg U.S Model 44. I see them at my local shop for under $200.00. Most are missing the mag because it is not allowed (or wasn't) in NRA smallbore.
    I won many meets w/ one back in my teens. Sorry I sold it.

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Wally World has Savage Bolt Action .22's for less than $180. Got my 7y/o one for Christmas. Shoots Good.

5. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

Some of those don't have the Accutrigger, and you want that. I bought a Savage MkII, a standard model, for right at $200. $60 for a scope and rings and it shoots as well as I can. Savage makes some fancier models that are specifically for competition, but they cost a bit more.

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I will say the exact same thing J Patterson said. The Mossberg M44us these are highly accurate and you can get them for $65 but they are hit or miss on how good of one you will get. I have seen some $300 guns come from the CMP for $65 and I have one that looks like it was used as a hammer for 40 years. The triggers are amazing on these old mossberg rimfires. I have 2 and one even has a fully adjustable trigger.

Also look at a Remington 521T Junior Special. Right at $300 on guns america.
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/926308549/Guns/Rifles/Remington-Rifles-Modern/.22-Rimfire-Models/Remington_521_T_Junior_Special.htm

They are slightly smaller than a full sized gun and if he out grows it buy a 513T stock and put it on there.

If you are willing to spend $400 for a gun the CMP is offering Kimber 82 target rifles for $400 because they have some run on them. All the ones I have seen it has been surface rust only and a brush and hoppes have taken care of it.
    http://www.thecmp.org/22targetsurplus.htm

The CMP also offer brand new rifles for children to compete with.
    http://www.thecmp.org/22targetcommercial.htm

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  7. kevlar

kevlar New Member

Thanks to all...

Thanks for the input. Headed to Wally World!

8. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

the savage feels shotty in my opinion. seriously check out one of these mossberg m44's. real solid, feel nice and made the way they u'st to! i just got one for me and one for the pops in the mail and they were both in good shape. just need to put a little time into refinishing the stock and getting a mag thats all. and that can all be good quality time for you and your son like it was for me and my dad. it will teach him a thing or two

9. soulsniper

soulsniper New Member

the savage 28700 is an excellent bolt action i have one and love taking it out to the range select models even have the bull barrel which add accuracy