Bolt Action 30-06 Springfield

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by CharlieRedleg, Nov 27, 2011.

1. CharlieRedleg

CharlieRedleg New Member

What is the most accurate and most reliable bolt action 30-06 Springfield rifle? I was looking at a Savage Arms or a Winchester 70. Does anybody know anything about these two rifles?
    Thanks,
    Charlie

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Just about any of the major mfg's build quality and accurate rifles today.I have a bunch of Savages,but I also have several other brands that shoot just as well.
    Just find one that fits you and has all of the things your looking for in a rifle and you will probably enjoy it for many years.
    If you are wanting to customize it,get a brand/model that has an aftermarket of custom parts.Some rifles don't have much in aftermarket add-ons.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Remington M700, Marlin XL7, Savage Axis, Winchester M70, Ruger M77, Weatherby Vanguard, Howa 1500, ect. ect. ect......

4. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I have a passing knowledge about the Savage and they have a reputation for fine accuracy. However I have studied the model 70 for 40 years and can attest to their rugged reputation. Most custom hunting rifle builders either use a 98 mauser or a model 70 action. The model 70's are quite accurate in their own right, far more accurate than needed for hunting. However if accuracy is your only goal, I hear great things about the Savage. I have just never understood why you need 1/2" accuracy to hunt deer.

5. JMat

JMat New Member

Does anyone own or have fired the savage axis line? I know savage makes affordable rifles but i am kind of reluctant to buy a rifle scope combo for like 3 to 5 hundred bucks...?

6. Axxe55

i have fired a couple of the Savage Axis rifles, they are very accurate even with factory ammo. i don't own any, but my personal preference is the Marlin X7 series of rifles, i own three of them. my reason is just the marlins fit me better, but the savage is still a very good rifle to start with. but don't buy the combo, because most times the scopes are some of the cheapest and from whoever they get the best deal from. buy just the rifle, then get a decent nikon and you will still get by for $600 or less.

7. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

They are both good rifles. What model of either are you looking at? Today there are soooo many makes and models that are far more accurate than anyone can shoot. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Optics are probably more important than the gun.

8. JMat

JMat New Member

Thanks axxe55 for the advice.

9. Axxe55

your welcome. check out the Marlin X7's, these are very accurate rifles and have three of them right now and plans to add more. they also are priced very reasonably too, i gave $360+ tax for my black 7mm-08, $380+ tax for my camo 25-06, and $370+tax for my 308 XS7VH.

10. JMat

JMat New Member

Also what do you guys think of the Accutrigger/ pro trigger systems? Are they worth the extra cash?

11. CharlieRedleg

CharlieRedleg New Member

The Winchester M70 Ultimate Shadow and the Savage Axis or the 11/111.
    Thanks for the help,
    Charlie
    p.s. Hope I did not double post.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  12. JMat

JMat New Member

Any input on the accutrigger/ pro trigger?

13. Txhillbilly

I personally would pass on a Savage Axis.They are no where near the quality of the standard Savage line.For an entry level Firearm,the Axis and Marlin are fine,but there are a whole bunch of rifles that are much better.

The Accu-trigger is a great trigger,IMO.But there are other aftermarket triggers that are just as good/better.It all depends on what you like.
    If I could put a RRA 2 stage NM trigger in every rifle I own,I'd really be happy!

14. CharlieRedleg

CharlieRedleg New Member

Out of the Mossberg 100 ATR, the Winchester 70, or the two Savages I named what would you guys get?

15. Txhillbilly

The Winchester 70 has always been a very nice rifle,I don't know if the quality of the new ones is as good as the older ones before the plant moved.

The Savage 114/116 is a great rifle if you want a wood stock,and if you want a synthetic stock get a model 111/112 with the Accu-Stock,the plain synthetic stocks are flimsy and most change them soon after purchase.

16. CharlieRedleg

CharlieRedleg New Member

I think I will get a Savage. I have been doing ALLOT of research and from what I have read the Savage would be a great choice.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

the new model 70s are good not as good as they used to be but very good shooters with a smooth mauser action. got one for my dad for christmas last year and he loves it.

18. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I have a win model 70 ultimate shadow in 300 short mag as well as several model 70, sporters all are high quality built winchesters, when my grandfather was alive he was a die had winchester collector I have all of his winnys an most are pre 64 model 70 an the quality of the new ones is in my mind as good but not better than the pre 64