bolt action 30-06, or a lever action 30-30

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by kasper89, May 1, 2012.

1. kasper89

kasper89 New Member

Lookin to buy a new rifle. Don't know much bout the differences as far as pros and cons of the two...

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Any specific models you are looking at?

3. Model70

Model70 Member

Bolt action 30-06 is gonna shoot a lot further and flatter. Kill an elk out to 500 yards. Big bullets selection. 110-220 grain. Spitzer round nose whatever.

30-30 lever gun is a good up close brush gun, kill an elk out to about 100 yards. Small bullet selection. Round or flat nose only. If you go with the 30-30 look into leverevolution rounds from Hornady.

Both good choices. Just depends on what you wanna do.

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Again, depends on what you plan to do with it, ammo is similarly priced but the 30-06 will reach waaay out, like Model70 said, the 30-30 is more close up. The 30-06 has more knockdown also, if I'm not mistaken.

5. cottontop

cottontop Guest

That's like comparing an Indy car to a Model T. Of the two, the .30-06 bolt action is the only one to consider. If you want a 30 caliber, you might also consider a .308.
    cottontop

6. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

30/30s kill many a deer every year. Where I hunt its all that's needed.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I love my marlin 30/30 lever and am quite confident it will drop anything I need it to in my state be it on 2 legs or 4.

8. cottontop

cottontop Guest

A Model T will get you from point A to point B within reason, but I wouldn't want to start a cross country trip in one.
    cottontop

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Why not a lever action 30-06 or 308?

10. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I guess it would depend on what you want to use the rifle for. The .30-06 is a more powerful caliber, with a wider choice of bullet designs for hunting major game animals.

The .30-30, it is said, has taken more deer than any other type of rifle, at least in North America. Traditionally considered a "brush gun," which means the ability to shoot through small brush without much bullet deflection, .30-30 ammo options are somewhat limited, but time proven. A few years ago Hornady developed their LeveRevolution ammo, which can turn a .30-30 lever gun into an honest 200+ yard rifle.

In those endless gun forum "what if" discussions, if I could only take one rifle in any given situation, I would take my Marlin .30-30 with LeveRevolution ammo. Also, Marlin is now making a tactical lever gun that you might want to look into as well.

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Could you post a link for that? My interest is peaked.

12. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Nothing wrong with that, unless you reload, then a bolt is a little more efficient; i.e., doesn't stretch case necks as much, one does not have to full length resize every time to get the shells to chamber, the bolt has more caming action, and it won't throw the empty brass into the next county. Plus there is the peace of mind in knowing that a bolt action has a little more strength in specific places in case of a blown cartridge.
    cottontop

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The 30.06 boltie is going to have better range and overall utility.

But the reason the 30-30 lever is so popular, is you can't beat

it, for what it does.

You don't provide much info as to usage.

But, once again, it's personal choice. I'd say for short ranges

go for the 30/30.

14. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Why not try a lever action 30-06?:) The Browning line of lever operated bolt actions are sweet. The have pistol and straight grip, and have some takedown models too, but for consistent accuracy, I'd avoid the takedown version unless you really need that feature.

[​IMG]

15. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

my question would be....what is your preference? have you used a bolt action and a lever action rifle?

these are completley different actions and calibers. the 30-06 is gonna have pretty stout recoil and much more distance and power than a 30-30. imo, a bolt action 30-06 isn't something you want to take to the range and play with. this would be a gun for hunting medium to large animals. bolt actions, generally speaking are among the most accurate guns.

the 30-30 is no joke of a round either. as said, it will drop medium game within 200 yards. the recoil won't hurt, but the cost of ammo might :( my 30-30 is light and handy. a great all round rifle. and although bolt action has its uses, i MUCH prefer a lever action myself. no way to explain, but for me, the fun/cool factor is MUCH higher on a lever action.

guess this isn't too much help. if you want a good all around rifle, i'd go marlin 30-30.

16. JTJ

If you look at the lock up of a Savage 99 or a Browning BLR you will see they are not going to stretch the cases. I used to load 308 for the 99 with no problems. Now the Winchester 95 might be a different story but I have not shot one.

17. JTJ

I have to respectfully dis agree with your definition of "brush gun". I have been taught that it is a light handy carbine designed to ease maneuvering through brush. Brush will deflect even heavy bullets. Lots of variables in shooting through brush and should be avoided. I probably just opened a can of worms.

18. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Everyone's point is well taken. But for just plain fun, a lever action rifle is hard to beat.

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

30-06,
    Simply more versatile!:D

20. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Id go with the 30-06 if you taking 150+ yard shots if not then go 30-30