Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I for one would like to have a take down bolt action magazine or tube fed 22lr rifle like the Ruger 10-22 Takedown. Only thing I have been able to find is a very ugly stock for a Marlin by Nodak Spud. There are levers available and plenty of semi autos but no bolts. 16" threaded barrel or even better a Tac Sol SBX type barrel. Ruger's tell the CEO is down right now.
https://www.tacticalsol.com/x-ring-series/x-ring-sb-x-barrel
I do have a single shot that breaks down to under 18" but would like more than 1 shot capacity.
Any suggestions out there?

Reactions: towboater

·
Premium Member
14,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Came up with a stock that would work on a Savage MK2. Rhineland Arms has a Para Folder unfinished with bottom metal. Takes a AR grip and several options for butt stocks. Cheapest would be an AR butt stock with tube and a folding adapter. I have the adapter on my charger. The Savage FVSR is the best model. It has a 16.5" threaded fluted heavy barrel. Gun weighs 5.5 lbs stock no sights. Would still be looking at 24"+ and probably 6-7 lbs. Need lighter and smaller but it is an option.
Para Stocks – Rhineland Arms
https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=28702

·
Premium Member
10,840 Posts
I feel your pain JTJ. Always loved the thought of a take down BA .22.

Now, here's a thought. Henry needs to have a talk with Armalite, and approach them with the idea of bringing out a .22 LR version of the AR5, that predates the AR7 by a few years. Maybe even offer it in .22 WMR as well. Hell, as it is, I'd love to find an AR5 as well, as I collect TD rifles in .22 Caliber.

And for those who are wondering what I'm smoking, having never heard of the AR5:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmaLite_AR-5

·
Premium Member
14,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thread the barrel, make it 22lr and you would have it. I did not know that existed but they were 22 Hornet. Were there more than the original 12 produced? I had an AR7. My son still has it. I just suggested it to Henry.

·
Premium Member
10,840 Posts
Aside from in a museum on an air Base, I've never seen one. AFAIK, they only made 12, and a few prototypes, as Fairchild/Armalite didn't see a market for them at the time.

Damn shame, as I think they would have sold well enough to warrant the investment.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Most old .22s have friction fit barrels that just sit tight inside the receiver. Drill through the receiver and the wall of the barrel. Heat the receiver and slide the barrel out. Have a machinist remove JUST enough metal so you have a easy slide fit and a pin for the hole you drilled. Cut the stock right under the barrel where it meets the receiver and set up a pin system for putting it back tightened again. Permanently epoxy one inch if the stock barrel channel to barrel (basically bed the barrel). There you go, you have a takedown .22

·
Premium Member
14,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is an clever solution. It actually looks like it could work. I am wondering if the rifle had a pinned barrel if the pin could driven out and replaced with a removable pin? I will have to find a cheap used rifle to play with. Savage does basically the same thing with a key way and a barrel nut on their 64 take down. Same with Henry and the AR7. The Promag Qbd stock does this with a 10-22 only it uses an under lever that hooks into the barrel notch.
If Ruger had used the 10-22 barrel on the RAR they would have another Lego gun. There are several companies making 10-22 actions. If one of them came out with a bolt action that would take the 10-22 barrels I think they would have a winner.

Reactions: kfox75 and Wambli

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
That is an clever solution. It actually looks like it could work. I am wondering if the rifle had a pinned barrel if the pin could driven out and replaced with a removable pin? I will have to find a cheap used rifle to play with. Savage does basically the same thing with a key way and a barrel nut on their 64 take down. Same with Henry and the AR7. The Promag Qbd stock does this with a 10-22 only it uses an under lever that hooks into the barrel notch.
If Ruger had used the 10-22 barrel on the RAR they would have another Lego gun. There are several companies making 10-22 actions. If one of them came out with a bolt action that would take the 10-22 barrels I think they would have a winner.
It’ll work.

·
Banned
4,353 Posts
Older Ruger 77/22 rifles, like those from the 90's, have the same type barrel attachment system as the Ruger 10/22 still does. A few years back they went to threaded barrels/receivers.
My Ruger 77/22's, both of them .22 LR and .22 Magnum have the clamped on barrel and might be a good place to start for a bolt action take-down version.
Barrels pinned to the receivers, like most of the Marlin, Mossberg and Stevens versions are quite a bit of fun to remove once the pin(s) are driven out. Some do have two pins. When the pin through hole is drilled, a burr is rolled over on the off side of the hole after the barrel is force driven into the receiver. On the Marlin .22 barrels, to replace the cartridge guide, the barrel must come off the receiver, which has been force driven into the receiver and then pinned.

Part #89-11 is the cartridge guide and can only be replaced with the barrel removed from the receiver. This part fits into the slot in the rear barrel shank. Part #89-5 is the barrel to receiver retaining pin. The hole for this pin is drilled after the barrel is pressed into the receiver. The same process is used for most of the low-end priced .22 rimfire bolt action guns. The drilling of that hole causes a burr that tightens up the union of barrel to receiver, and the barrel can only be removed using a fixture to force press the barrel out of place.
Every takedown .22 bolt action and even many of the single shot .22 actions use a half thread mating of the barrel to the receiver, so it would be quite a feat for anyone to get a repeat fit properly, unless it's very tight.

·
Premium Member
14,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks SGW. Take a look at the Promag QBD stock. It converts a standard 10-22 to takedown and it works pretty well. The under lever aligns the barrel and is pretty consistent. If something like that could be done with the 77/22 it would work.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
taking this one step further:
  • a modular takedown barrel that can mate with multiple actions. one barrel works with bolt, lever and semiauto. picatinny rail. optional accessory mount handrail
  • a modular stock, maybe just put a folding tube on the back and use AR stocks. plain jane or adjustable length and cheek riser
  • optional bullpup stock.

make the .22 as modular and flexible as the AR platform.

·
Banned
4,353 Posts
taking this one step further:
  • a modular takedown barrel that can mate with multiple actions. one barrel works with bolt, lever and semiauto. picatinny rail. optional accessory mount handrail
  • a modular stock, maybe just put a folding tube on the back and use AR stocks. plain jane or adjustable length and cheek riser
  • optional bullpup stock.

make the .22 as modular and flexible as the AR platform.
I have an extra .17 HMR barrel for my Ruger 77/22 Magnum. Easy change and uses the very same magazines.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So, you started off saying you want a bolt action and got lots of replies about other actions... Then too, I guess you only want new models, since scads of 1930s to 1950s Remington bolt .22s and other brands were take-downs with stocks that could be removed via a thumb screw or a screw turned by a coin used as a screwdriver. Puzzled here...

·
Banned
4,353 Posts
So, you started off saying you want a bolt action and got lots of replies about other actions... Then too, I guess you only want new models, since scads of 1930s to 1950s Remington bolt .22s and other brands were take-downs with stocks that could be removed via a thumb screw or a screw turned by a coin used as a screwdriver. Puzzled here...
Well, lots of the Remington slide action .22 rifles, like the Model 12 & 121, along with the Winchester and Savage/Stevens pump guns were indeed "thumb-screw" take-down versions, but I don't recall any Remington bolt action .22 rifles that were?
If you are writing about those rifles with the forearm screw and then pulling the barreled action out of the full length gunstock, I'm not sure there's much to gain doing that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, lots of the Remington slide action .22 rifles, like the Model 12 & 121, along with the Winchester and Savage/Stevens pump guns were indeed "thumb-screw" take-down versions, but I don't recall any Remington bolt action .22 rifles that were?
If you are writing about those rifles with the forearm screw and then pulling the barreled action out of the full length gunstock, I'm not sure there's much to gain doing that.
Yes, I was referring to pulling the barreled action out of the stock. Remington 512 stock and barreled action each measure about 27" long. Maybe that's not short enough... . Do you have a dimension to shoot for?

·
Banned
4,353 Posts
Yes, I was referring to pulling the barreled action out of the stock. Remington 512 stock and barreled action each measure about 27" long. Maybe that's not short enough... . Do you have a dimension to shoot for?
No.
You'd need to ask the OP what he has in mind. If I required something shorter than a normal rifle length, I'd carry a Ruger .22 pistol.

·
Premium Member
14,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Ruger Takedown 10-22 breaks down to 18" or less. That would be Ideal. My single shot 22lr breaks down to 18". A 16" barreled bolt action removed from the stock is still over 24". A folding stock with 16" barrel will be about 25". I have pistols and have looked at that route. The revolvers are not ammo sensitive but wont take a suppressor. The single shot does what I want. I just wanted more capacity in a gun that is easy to clean/maintain and not ammo sensitive. I also dont want an SBR.
Wombli's suggestion looks about the best. An older rifle with a pinned barrel is looking like the best option. Remove the barrel and make it a slip fit with an easily removable pin. Shorten it to 16.5" and thread it. Cut the stock and fasten the forend to the barrel. Or get Ruger to make a bolt action Takedown.

·
Premium Member
11,947 Posts
Thinking outside the box, how about installing a heavy spring in a 10-22 takedown and cycling it as a straight action, like a k31?

·
Premium Member
10,840 Posts
Thinking outside the box, how about installing a heavy spring in a 10-22 takedown and cycling it as a straight action, like a k31?
Never thought of that. Might be worth trying out some time, and it would go well with my other straight pull Ruger (BAO Mini 14. They used an undrilled gas block when making them, on the Government barrel.)

Now, new production, JTJ, have you contacted Marlin, and brought up the idea of making a BA counterpart to the 70PSS "Papoose"? I have a few times over the years, and if enough people did, they may eventually look into making one.

·
Premium Member
11,947 Posts
I didnt know they made a mini like that, fox. That's interesting.

How about drilling and tapping the gas hole, and installing a set screw to mimic this?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts