bolt .308

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Kdub, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Kdub

Kdub New Member

I was looking at getting a semi but have decided to go with a bolt. Im looking for recommendations on brands and models. I want a muzzle break, adjustable stock and a crisp trigger. I looked at the savage but at 1800 bucks its a little out of my price range. What else is out there besides that and the remington?

2. barneygoogle

barneygoogle New Member

308 Mausers are hard to beat.

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Where in the hell did you see a Savage for 1800 bucks ? I got mine for less than 500.00.............

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i assume he was referring to this

Attached Files:

5. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Bingo. That's exactly what I was referring to. I'm looking for a set up along those lines but more reasonably priced. Very nice looking gun.

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

7. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Anyone have had or shot a remington 700 sps tactical with blackhawk axiom?

8. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I have the Howa Axiom and it is a really good shooter. Heavy 24" crowned barrel. They have a new trigger now, the old one is very good, this one is supposed to be an improvement.

9. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I would suggest you look at the Remington 5R mill spec. It doesn't have the features you're looking for but it would be a great platform that you could build on. Add an after market stock later on and your set except for the muzzle break. :)

And the Remington SPS tactical is also a great shooter.

10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I'd suggest a Savage 10FCP,Remington 700 5R Mil-Spec,or the Tikka T3 Varmint. If you just have to have a muzzle brake,then have a local gunsmith thread the barrel for you,but a 308 doesn't need a brake on the barrel,unless you think a 22lr has recoil.

While the stock on the Savage 10BA looks cool,it's heavy,has to be shot of a bipod/bags,and is a PIA to tote around.It is a very unbalanced rifle to try and carry.

This is what the Savage 10FCP looks like,but this is my 110FLCP 25/06,I can't find any pics of my 308. Cabelas sells an exclusive 10FCP with the Choate Tactical stock (same as photo) for around $700.

[​IMG]

11. Yunus

Yunus New Member

+1 on the Howa. I don't know about a muzzlebreak though.

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The Howa is a great rifle. W/ a heavy barrel there is no need for a muzzle break except looks.
    [​IMG]

13. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Here is another suggestion. This is the Savage 10FLP, which is the left-handed version of the 10FP. It is very affordably priced and very functional. It was a tack driver right out of the box. I have a few pet loads that will cloverleaf shot groups at 100 yards all day long. With the accutrigger you can make the trigger pull as "clean and crisp" as you want. It doesn't have a muzzle break but you don't need one with the heavy barrel. I don't have a lot of money tied up in this rifle and scope but it shoots real good. Many times I have matched or beat shooters shot-for-shot that were using rifles and scopes that cost a lot more.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  14. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

If you are looking at the Howa, you should also consider the Weatherby Vanguard Series 2. Howa makes the actions for the Vanguard, but the stocks are different. They even make a bull barrel varmint version. The fit and finish is great, and the two stage trigger is outstanding.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/vanguard_2/varmint_special

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

That is what I use, sept mine is a right hand............

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

My choice would be the Remington 700 SPS. Unless money was no object, then I'd go with the AI. (Accuracy International)

BTW, most of the LE SWAT team sharpshooters in the country use the 700 SPS.

17. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

303tom, the Hornady 168-grain A-Max behind 41.5 grains of IMR4064 with an O.A.L. of 2.80" works real good in the Savage 10FP. With this load I can get the cloverleafs at 100 yards all day long.

18. jmonkey

jmonkey New Member

I have been looking for something similar and have decided to get a Tikka T3 in 308...either Super Varmint or Sporter. I also looked at Remington, Savage, Howa, and Weatherby. I want a good out of the box long range rifle for range shooting in the neighborhood of $700-$900.