Boiling

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by Beckles1980, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Beckles1980

Beckles1980 New Member

Is it ok to boil your xd gun parts to get a good clean??

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I don't think I would do that. I also don't think boiling them would get the parts any cleaner than a good gun cleaning solvent.

3. Beckles1980

Beckles1980 New Member

Ok, someone once told me it is a good way to get a really great clean gun.

4. kycol

kycol New Member

I do have one gun I clean with hot water and dish washing soap. My muzzle loader, remove the barrel and stick in bucket real hot water put soap in barrel and clean the heck out of it, the dry it good, oil the heck out of it put a nice big cloth over the nipple let the hammer hold it there so the oil doesn't seep out. Other than that the only water to touch my guns is when I get caught out in the rain.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

only people i know of to use really hot water or boiling water are people who shoot blackpowder or cleaning out cosmoline from old military guns.

most any commercial gun cleaner will work just fine. just follow the directions in the owners manual and you will do just fine.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I tried boiling one- it would not get any softer. :p

Other than black powder, or shooting milsurp commie ammo, hot water really does not do anything better. The crud you are trying to get out is not really water soluble.

Back in the day of the 03 Springfield and Garand, when you were going to have a "white glove" inspection, it DID remove every trace of oil or grease. The military finally realized this was a bad idea, and dropped the white glove insanity.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If you're looking for a good easy clean strip the gun and drop the parts in a bucket of 50/50 oil/solvent mix and let them sit over night. Pull the parts out and blow them off with compressed air. Reassemble and done.

8. gr8wapiti

gr8wapiti New Member

The only firearm I have ever soaked in water was a .44 Navy I used to go shoot for fun. It would get so gooey with bore butter and black powder soot nothing else would clean it as good as soapy hot water. I wouldn't clean any of my other guns that way, if they are that dirty I get out good old "Gun Scrubber" and a bunch of rags.

9. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

A bud gave me a Ruger MK II that he shot until it froze up and rusted. I removed pastic grips and soaked it in kerosine for 4 months. It finally came apart and while it's not pretty, it is functional.

10. USMCVeteran

USMCVeteran New Member

I don't boil my gun parts but I do clean them using very hot water from a faucet and Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, then use a brush to scrub everything down. After the parts dry completely every trace of oil and grease is gone. I'll then coat all the parts with CLP and let them "soak" for awhile, then wipe off the excess. Using water to clean gun parts sounds counterintuitive but it does a great job for me.

11. cuba

cuba New Member

Boiling works good on all steel guns(don't know about plastic) maybe dishwasher for plastic, but have to wait till the wife is out to do it in the kitchen.

Need to dry with blow drier completely and lube after works best on stainless guns.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  12. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

Here’s my suggestion a bit pricy perhaps but …that is up to you. There’s a lot of good cleaning products out there, is this boiling for every day cleaning or what? But, like I said this is my SUGGESTION.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Beckles1980

Beckles1980 New Member

Ok, no I don't shoot everyday.

14. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

every day shooting= normal/common/nothing out of the ordinary.........thats what was meant be every day cleaning....... oh, what the hell boil it all you want to just dant forget the salt and pepper maybe through in some potatoes and onions.