boiling a gun??

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by trstncmpbll, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trstncmpbll

trstncmpbll New Member

My grandpa was saying his friend who is an ffl boils his guns to clean them, my grandpa hasent done it. Something about this doesn't seem right. But could it be a trick to clean a gun to new, or would it mess with the gun its self?

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I prefer to put mine in the Crockpot for about ten hours or until desired tenderness is reached.

3. trstncmpbll

trstncmpbll New Member

That's what I was thinking, throw some some ribs in with it too

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

If you boil them you have to boil them in hot oil I prefer 5w30 synthetic as it doesn't smoke as much as conventional motor oil.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Man, we have been over this about a dozen times now. :rolleyes:

I have a Crest Ultrasonic Cleaning Tank.

I strip the weapon down.

I fill a tank with hot water and add an approved detergent.

I put all the gun parts in there except for my slide because of my night sights.

I turn it on and walk away for 10 to 20 minutes depending on how much shooting I have done.

I pull the parts and rinse them under normal, hot, tap water from the sink.

I fill a seperate tank with approved lubricant.

I put all the parts back in and turn it on again. I walk away for about 20 minutes.

I come back, pull the parts, wipe them down with an old t-shirt or such, reassemble perfectly lubed & treated weapon, put back in holster, safe or whatever.

No issues as long as you get the water off and treat the weapon steel accordingly with a good quality gun oil.

JD

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

How about a steam cleaner? Pour drano on it? :rolleyes:

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

How about a bottle of Hoppes, a brush, and some patches? Been working for me for many years...

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

That's soooooooo boring. :D

We need to use our stoves and microwaves. Anyone here ever boil a glock? :D

9. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Goju, Glocks never need cleaning. Everybody knows that, you're such a noob. :D

10. trstncmpbll

trstncmpbll New Member

I'm just going to give it to my puppy and let his go at it. In an hour or two it'll look brand new

11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Good grief!! How could I have been so stupid?? :D

I still want to see one microwaved for two minutes then fired.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

If you are going to do that, might I suggest that you first dunk it in:

Attached Files:

13. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

JD,

How much does one of those Ultrasonic Cleaners run?

14. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

My friend has an ultrasonic cleaner and it has never ran. :)

15. trstncmpbll

trstncmpbll New Member

What about just stripping my gun, throwing it in a pot of boiling water then go through normal cleaning standards

16. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Sounds and looks interesting, looks doable and looks like the average cost of a nice handgun. :cool:

Sonic System Sales

Jack

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I wish you had asked this a few weeks ago brother. We got a coupon from SHOT for something like 20% off, which brought the price down well below MSRP.

It was a gift, but if I remember correctly, it was around $500-$550 bucks. Something like that. It wasn't "cheap" but the service it provides is a HUGE plus.

One thing I can tell you, it does a great job keeping rust and other problems from acquiring on my weapons and parts. I put my AR mags in there, I put my bolt and carrier in there, I put my magazines for all my pistols in there, I put my bolts in there from my long rifles. They all get the special Ultra Sonic lubricant treatment and I have NEVER had any issue with fit, form or function post treatment.

I even have a cop buddy who comes over for UFC events and he always brings his carry Glock and I treat the whole damn gun for him. Yeah, I know, but he is a friend and I want the best for him since he is FORCED to carry The Ghey. :rolleyes:

I would recommend one to anyone that can afford it. It does a great job and it's so simple a caveman could use.... Hey, wait a minute. :eek:

JD

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

boiling water or very hot water is what was used back when corrosive primers was all there was. people strip the wooden parts off their handguns and soak them in boiling water to remove the corrosive salts, pour boiling water in to barrels and actions to remove the salts. after that the heat of the metal would dry the weapon and lubrication was then applied.

doing that to a modern firearm that has never seen corrosive primers and full of plastic would not be a good idea.

19. Highpower

Highpower New Member

I tried it with cabbage once, but it gave me gas. The Glock that is....... :mad:

20. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I usually serve mine with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.