Bodyguard industries bean bag baton Help

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Silman99, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Silman99

Silman99 New Member

I have a really cool non lethal bean bag baton . Vintage and very well made. Absolutely zero technical info available anywhere ? Says on trigger body portion Dangerous ? To disassemble?
    Mine looks fine, I haven’t fired it . However the “twist” safety cannot /does not work. The device seems simple. But for the life of me I cant figure out some of the functions. or how to fully (I’m at 75%) disassemble.
    And of course don’t want to get hurt ?
    I can’t imagine what’s dangerous in handle ?
    Also when you thrust your palm into the plunger at rear to fire /pierce co2. Simultaneously a round collar springs forward against the co2 cartridge /holder ?
    I’m assuming to keep cartridge sealed against co2 blowback.
    It’s actually quite involved . You cock the unit and it pulls back the round inner collar in the “breach tube” of baton.
    Then when you punch the rear baton “pod”, the breach ring springs coward simultaneously.
    i know this is a firearms forum. However I felt this item is so rare and so technical, only a gunsmith who has been around would even remotely know about these Bodyguard industries batons. I’m very technical but have been stumped at this point . I have it completely disassembled except for the very end.
    The part which appears “too tight”, and us keeping safety from functioning.
    I can’t figure out how to remove/disassemble the rest.
    Plus that’s the piece with the dangerous ! Safety warning ??

2. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Well …..I am familiar with this. We had one in the Sheriff's Office from back in the 80's, possibly the 70's. I fired it quite a few times (mostly at office chairs, a well-dented wastepaper basket, and a tree on the courthouse lawn). It was left to me by the Sheriff before me and, alas, I left it behind when I retired. In my memory of 32 years working there, no animals nor humans were ever harmed with it.

The handle unscrews from the barrel. Poke the bean bag into the barrel followed by a regular co2 cylinder with the firing pin where it will hit the small end of the cylinder. Oh ..yes..pull back the handle and lock it in the slot. The metal ring is the "safety". To fire, rotate the metal ring to allow the "bolt" to fly forward The bean bag does shoot out really hard. It will roll your wastebasket.

Now --cautionary notes --- if the metal ring "safety" is not engaged, it WILL go off if the handle is bumped. If you leave the bolt all the way down but the spring not compressed, it WILL go off if dropped. We HAD three beanbags (and perhaps a plastic tube thing that held the beanbag - don't remember). When I left, there was only one beanbag. It was expensive when it first came out.

It will also inflate condoms but you have to hold them on really tightly and without the bean bag in the barrel. Always wanted to try condoms and confetti.

jigs-n-fixture and OLD Ron like this.

3. Silman99

Silman99 New Member

Well ! Thanks for the various info. Definitely some stuff I did not know . Even though I do know a lot about the bean bag baton .
    I am way “deeper “ into it . But your comments were great!
    Particularly about dropping it ! Wasn’t quite clear ? Will it miss fire even with safety on ?
    My safety works (or doesn’t) this way . there’s a metal ring/donut at end of baton. A quarter of that ring is a separate part. It pivots you prevent the “push pad firing “ thing from traveling forward and puncturing co2. On my baton the donut is too tight up against the baton tube. On the few pictures I’ve seen there’s a 1/4 inch gap.
    Thanks again . Yes they were 1980s I believe. I’d still like /need technical help on mine. I have found zero info on web. Short of some photos.
    No manuals , no info on inner workings.

sheriffjohn likes this.
  4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a company called ARMA that makes and sells bean bag batons/guns.

winds-of-change likes this.
  5. Silman99

Silman99 New Member

Thanks! Yes I have an arma as well. I think they are very cool. And I’ve seen the various Bodyguard batons pics on web. Appreciate it. I still need some in-depth gunsmithing or air smithing advice on the bodyguard baton.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You might try Utube.

7. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Our bean bag baton looked nothing like this photo. Ours was made of "plastic" (some super-duper nylon type stuff) and was shaped like a softball bat but short like some billy clubs. The concern was if you "brought one from Arkansas" (really hard noggin knockin') the thing would break in two. When 12 gauge bean bag rounds came out, the less lethal option was solved.

What is pictured here more closely resembles tear gas batons I've seen and also pocket model cartridge-using tear gas guns. We had a couple of those - one 20 gauge and the other a .410 both were true antiques.

8. Silman99

Silman99 New Member

Yes your talking about the Arma unit. Hard composite plastic. Very cool, uses plexi clear cartridges. Which contain co2 , bean bag , wads/seal caps.
    The true way to use the Arma is with a high power Nitrogen cartridge. A lot of folks don’t know that.
    I have two pre loaded nitrogen bean bag cartridges , two preloaded nitrogen cartridges rubber covered large steel shot, and two preloaded nitrogen cartridges pepper /OC balls.
    Folks tend to poo poo these neat self defense devices . I think there technically pretty cool for their purpose.
    I would imagine getting hit by two bean bags, two steel shot, and then two pepper ball shot..... would kinda slow somebody down ? Lol thanks

jigs-n-fixture likes this.
  9. Silman99

Silman99 New Member

Some photos of mine

Attached Files:

towboater likes this.
  10. Silman99

Silman99 New Member

Here’s some close up photos showing the Safety- not working.
    It needs to spin/twist. but can’t because the ring/donut the safaris part of , is too tight close to the tube end.
    There’s no obvious way to disassemble. And of course there’s the warning do not disassemble- injury may result ?However the safety / donut end has a set screw that binds down to a threaded inner tube.
    There’s nothing to really grab inside on other end of tube ?
    It is apparent that the safety donut can thread off. but it just spins the whole innards ?
    Help !
    Seems like there’s some tite spring pressure in there ? 290B57C6-82F3-4AB3-B8CF-9C141BF6E791.jpeg 2CC6B896-0E8B-4DF4-B61D-C044D70C7731.jpeg 00FC98C2-45BA-4073-B4DB-A35913ED4B07.jpeg

11. Silman99

Silman99 New Member

This is inside the other end (breach/chamber). The thin outer ring is the ring that springs forward (with what seems like way less spring power than the whole assembly seems to have ?) DAF6FBB3-76F1-4C30-BE93-388D8DC0F324.jpeg to rear of co2 / cartridge - when you push plunger to fire.
    The inner ring with the collar . Is what spins when I turn the donut.
    I believe it is attached or part of the threaded hollow tube.

Attached Files: