bodyguard 380 vs

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Crazvet, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I'm new to ccw and picked up a used S&W Bodyguard 380, I like the feel(small yet fits my large hands well for a compact) but the trigger has a long unsmooth pull and I have a early model w the laser button problem. Any info on fixing these problems and general info on how it stacks up to other .380's would be much appreciated

2. magnumman

magnumman New Member

most da 380's have long pulls. the more you shoot it, the smoother the trigger should get. i have no experience with the laser issue so i dont think i can be much help there. did you buy used?

3. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Yes it was used, I've since called S&W their sending new buttons to me, as for the trigger I've been using a quarter resting one the slide while dry firing(the self resetting hammer is great:)

4. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Trigger pulls are usually or traditionally long because there are no safeties and since these CC weapons are often used under high stress situations, the CO does not want you to "Glock" yourself.

5. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

That's the thing mine has a safety, I hope S&W or the aftermarket offers a trigger tune up kit, since the LAPD has made it their backup weapon(minus the laser and safety)

6. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Many people do not want a safety on a BUG - one less thing to go wrong.

If you research the threads, a guy had an issue w LCP trigger and had it sent out. Wonder how much they can do ?

Why w anyone disable a functional laser ? I had to pay extra for mine...CT laser helps overcome speed bump like sights in low light or any light ;).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  7. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I'd be willing to bet the PD asked for no laser to save on cost. The buttons on the laser are a bad design, has soft buttons like a tv remote(not very durable for holstering and unholstering overtime)

8. Colby

Colby New Member

Disable laser???
    Unfortunately, I bought my LC9 with a laser. Wish I had not. It makes the gun larger and heavier - and in my opinion adds nothing to close up concealed carry self protection capability. That is that gun's purpose, in my collection, ccw. That means very short range point and shoot - not careful aim - point and shoot --- to me! Repeat... to me!
    So... disable? How about remove?

9. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

If you need smaller, the LCP is about as light n small as you want to get. I have a love/hate affair w mine. I know lots of people want a higher caliber but it comes in a larger package.

YouTube guy - nothingfancy sp - makes a good case for the 9mm. Don't recall if he is a laser fan or not.

TV show "Guns & Gear" makes a good case for the laser in the dawn n dusk ie low light conditions. Hard to use the sights if you can't see them but as you pointed out, it's a CQB - point shoot kind of platform.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  10. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I've passed my little Smith to a lady friend, taken its place is SA XDs a large step up. I went pant shopping w large pockets being the main concern.

11. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I was on on some SW Bodyguard site n the above was mentioned along w several complaints about the battery cover coming off. I not sure but I believe SW has corrected both of these faults.

I suppose everyone will have to make their own call about Lasers.

As an LCP owner, I think they are fantastic and correct for hump n bump like sights. :D

12. Mdrums

Mdrums New Member

Ive had a S&W Bodyguard 380 for a year now. I have not had a single issue with this gun. Out of many 380's I rented or borrowed the S&W Bodyguard was the most accurate for me and the price was right. the longish trigger is no problem and for a concealed defensive gun it is really just right.