Body Armor Suggestion...

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Tackleberry1, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Guys,

My volunteer RSO duty and the number of novice gun owners has me considering wearing a vest on my duty days. My primary concern is the pistol range AND I do not wish to look like a Mall Ninja while doing this.

So...I'm looking for suggestion on a vest that's comfortable, concealable, and will stop any major pistol caliber at close range.

I would greatly appreciate input from LEO's and RSO's who have experience wearing a vest daily and I'm hoping to stay in the $300.00 range...if possible.

Pulling RSO duty is by far my favorite way to spend a Sunday but with 4 kids to support it's irresponsible of me to have not taken measure sooner.

Thanks

Tack

2. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Anyone... Anyone... Bueller... Bueller?

3. Logan901

Logan901 New Member

LEO here. $300 range probably won't happen.

I wear a safariland Kevlar vest w/ chest trauma plate. It will greatly "resist" all handgun rounds, except 5.7x28 rounds.

It wears well. Not too bulky. Keeps warm in winter, like a sauna in the summer.

It was provided to me via city gov't. I believe they paid around $600+ for our vests. We're a large Dept as well, I'm sure discounts were applied.

4. GonzoLonzo

GonzoLonzo New Member

Hey Bud, as Logan said, you are not going to find one for $300. I used a second chance and I can't remember the brand my wife wore but they were both level III. Our agency paid for them and I am sure they were over $800. You might be able to find level II for about $600. Good luck with you search.

5. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

KJ

Check out bulletproofme.com for their LEO turn ins and over runs. Looks like they run 195 to 290 depending on size and color for level II soft armor.

Tack

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

8. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

That's pretty nice...

Looks like I could choose between a new one of these w/out side protection for about the same cost as an LEO over run with side protection.

We wear a rather loose and bulky safety orange vest while on RSO duty so I think either be easilly concealable.

Looks like Ive got a decision to make. Thanks for the link!

Tack

9. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Only question is I don't see any NIJ standard or proof of testing on the site.
    And looking at a picture here, I don't know if this is what you're looking for as coverage appears limited. I think bulletproofme.com will be the best option.
    http://uspalm.com/news-and-media/interviews-a-featured-articles/52-strike-international-review.html

10. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have less than $280 shipped in this exact same setup and I have side plates with mine , and all my plates have been sprayed with truck bed liner to prevent spalling . Lots of other options out there if you just take a look , Keep in mind 1/4" AR500 is not going to stop AP rounds

12. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

I don't have plans on getting hit by AP rounds.

13. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

14. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I don't think anyone does...

15. sirhc

sirhc New Member

Back when I was on the job (that sounds like I'm so old) (holy crap I just added it up and it's been 20 years. Damn it I would be getting close to retirement.) sorry ADD moment. Back when I was on the job we had to provide our own. Back then they suggested you buy one with a threat level as high or higher than the gun you carry. They were pretty heavy if you wanted to stop anything more than a handgun. I paid around $700 it would cover up to a .44 we still had officers that carried .357 so I figured I wanted to be covered even though I was "one of the 9mm kids".