Body armor / Bulletproof vests

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by hogger129, Sep 16, 2009.

1. hogger129

hogger129 New Member

Is it legal for a civilian to buy any type of body armor? I am just wondering where you can get it and if it costs alot. I am guessing that in my anti-gun state of Wisconsin, it is probably illegal to have body armor unless you're a cop or something.

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

CRIMINAL STATUTES

The State statutes creating criminal offenses that prohibit the wearing, use, or possession of body armor can be divided into two broad categories: 1) Statutes creating substantive offenses and 2) statutes enhancing sentencing. Most of the statutes fall into the first category; that is, these statutes create separate criminal offenses for which defendants can be charged, convicted, and sentenced. However, two States (California and Wisconsin) opted not to create separate substantive offenses, but rather, adopted enhancing statutes that impose an additional sentence when an individual is convicted of committing a crime while wearing body armor.

BulletProofME.com Body Armor / Bullet proof Vests

Now, don't get an eye poked out messing around. Google search can be your friend. :)

Jack

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I'd have to ask why? If you're a cop it's issued. If you're a soldier, it's issued. These are really the only two reasons I can think of for needing body armor. A civilian wandering around in body armor seems odd to me...

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

google.gif IT!

Maybe you should get a gun first!

Then decide if you need a chicken vest!

I'm just sayin'. [​IMG]

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You would be better off spending that money on a good weapon and proper training on how to use it.

7. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

You can find body armor over on Gunbroker.com. The brands may not be names that you know and trust, so more than ever, Buyer Beware.

8. layton

layton New Member

Why does everyone insist on calling bullet resistant vests bullet proof?

Layton

9. Grey

Grey New Member

Why would a civilian want a bulletproof vest?

Because its our right, just like buying guns is our right.
    bulletproof vests are especially wanted by people who would like to open carry.
    Its like the civilian full auto thing. Its our right. No, you dont need to have a reason.
    I love military stuff, if I could go out n buy fully auto guns, bulletproof vests, grenades and ect, I would. I dont have a reason but I would simply because its awesome.
    Its freedom at its finest. Gun control laws aren't about guns, its about control.
    Why cant you buy something that helps protect you?
    because you become a threat and the government cant handle that.

Freedom isnt free, you have to earn it and then you have to sacrifice.

Layton, its just easier that way.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well. two weeks ago, I spent a few days with some "civilians" that wear body armor. They work for the company that is clearing unexploded ordnance from a former military range. They are all employees of a private contractor that was hired by the US Govt to do the "remediation" work. A "Blast and Frag" suit looks like it was inspired by Darth Vader.

But for something not so exotic, try working the night shift at a mini-mart- then see how you feel about the Second Chance vest. Or drive a cab, deliver pizza, or make bank deposits. Right now, the 2nd leading cause of death in the US workplace is homicide.

BTW, when the US Dept of Energy was winding down operations at the Rocky Flats Nuclear Weapons Manufacturing facility in Golden CO, the security of 13 TONS of weapons grade plutonium was provided by CIVILIAN employees of a private security firm.

Laws DO vary significantly from state to state- spend some time learning YOUR laws. And Layton is right- many things may be bullet resistant- NOTHING is bullet "proof". :eek:

11. Trocar

Trocar New Member

Guess i'm going to have to agree with the future tax collector on this one. I own some level III, and IV plates for my vests. I rarely wear them, but i like to know i have them. If the sorry @$$ cops can have them, then i should be able to as well. The only time i see them coming into use, is if some LEO's decide they want to make an example out of me, and i have to show them that not everyone is an unarmed/untrained civilian. I don't need a reason to own one though. Just part of the well regulated militia.

12. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Sounds like you have some sort of grudge against the LEOs for some reason.

13. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Good point sir, and no disrespect, but as stated before, nothing is bullet proof, just somewhat bullet resistant. I hope Kevlar pots, resistant face shields, neck guards, groin, leg and arm (underarm) protection are part of anyone's serious protection gear also, but none of the above are bullet proof either, just resistant. Because not all lethal wounds and kill shots are done center mass.

SWAT teams, as well as most trained snipers, will take center mass shots 90% of the time, and head shots are much preferred, but movement and small target area are the biggest decision factor for that shot. The use of non lethal crippling shots to other non-protected areas of the body, to wound and draw out targets, are used as well. :eek: JMHO and observation.

Jack

14. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Sounds like you have the makings of another Larry Eugene Phillips, Jr. or Emil Matasareanu. You should probably find another place to share your thoughts. They have websites just for right wing nutjobs, ya know.

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Yeah, have to agree here. I resent the "sorry a$$ cops" statement. I have many friends who are cops. I train with a guy who just made detective and another who just got into the FBI. Cops need more respect, only criminals need fear them.

Now, if a guy wants something bullet resistant to waer around that's their right, but I'd just change my hangouts. Th3 de4d1y str33ts can be brutal!!! :rolleyes:

16. Trocar

Trocar New Member

Relax, girlfriend...Not at all. I just live in a county that had more police shootings of civilians than any place in the country. I didn't mean to lump all police together, but ATL PD, and Dekalb County PD are jack booted nazis for the most part. I wish i lived in an area where a Police Officer's badge still meant something to them. I'm sure King Hussein has an answer for you, why don't you ask him?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009